Parking on Tanon Suthep Near Suan Dok Hospital. What about Tanon Huay Kaew?

Mapguy

http://chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=4382

This is a very smart move, really, as that road is a major East-West route. In particular, ambulances and others trying to reach the trauma center with emergency cases can be blocked. Note, cynics and habitual critics, that nothing was done until after the new Suan Doc parking facility was completed and that the police are easing in the restriction.

Now, about Huay Kaew, the other major East-West route in the city. The bottlenecks there can be horrific. It is not just the increased traffic at certain times of the day. It often has to do with the traffic management of Song Taew holding in front of Kad Suan Kaew. This problem should be easy to fix in collabortion with KSK management. Further to the West, a traffic signal at the petrol station to allow right turns as well as U-turns would definitely be a step forward.

Now, back to one-way sois off Nimmenhamen which made a huge amount of common sense for both safety and convenience!

The intersection in front of the Shell station oh Huaw Kaew is a real problem spot. There is a sign that says no U-turns, but it's generally ignored. Not just a problem for scooters (except when they get slammed by on-coming cars,) but the road is a bit too narrow for most cars and trucks to make the U-turn in one continuous motion. They need to reverse a bit, then continue the turn. Unfortunately, as soon as they begin the turn, everyone behind them stays right on their tail, so they CAN'T reverse and complete the turn. It always takes extra time to sort out the vehicles behind, meanwhile traffic is blocked up completely, often in both directions.

• Like 2

When my daughter was born at Suan Dok, of the multiple visits during pregnancy and the birth I think I found a spot at the car park facilities twice and on Suthep Road once - for the birth in the middle of the night. For the majority of visits, I dropped my wife at the hospital and went and parked inside the moat.

I hope the new parking facility is three times as big as the old one, if not they need to multi-storey it.

When my daughter was born at Suan Dok, of the multiple visits during pregnancy and the birth I think I found a spot at the car park facilities twice and on Suthep Road once - for the birth in the middle of the night. For the majority of visits, I dropped my wife at the hospital and went and parked inside the moat.

I hope the new parking facility is three times as big as the old one, if not they need to multi-storey it.

Glad you got her to the hospital in time for the delivery !!!! I sometims think about that one, too, not just emergency victims in cardiac arrest or whatever.

At the corner of Suthep and Mangkalajarn (where the new Mc Donald's is) is a new six story parking ramp that can be accessed from Mangkaljarn

That's Sirimangkalajarn Road, just west of the hospital. There is also additional ground level parking to the north of the parking facility --- SOUND THE TRUMPETS AND BANG THE GONGS!!!! --- a MacDonald's and two cafes on the ground floor (by quick recon) plus a bank and a Tesco-Lotus Express, as I recall looking without running into the vehicle in front of me. (We of course eagerly await reviews, but it looks like very, very handy parking in front of McD's is still very limited). Seriously, these shops seem designed for people who work at the hospital or are visiting, not at all handy to just drop by.

I am not certain exactly how the entrance and exit to the garage are laid out and accessed.

In addition, there is even more parking on the South side of the same intersection where the large new Suan Dok building is located where some clinical services are provided. That also has van shuttle service to the main hospital.

Frankly, taking a song taew to Suan Dok still might to be a smart idea except if your pregnant wife is having contractions! Or a tuk tuk, maybe? Or a motorcycle taxi? No, scratch that last one!

Or, as suggested in another post, just park on the sidewalk and get used to it! Of course, your motorcycle or car might be napalmed, not wheel-locked.

Edited by Mapguy

Glad you got her to the hospital in time for the delivery !!!! I sometims think about that one, too, not just emergency victims in cardiac arrest or whatever.

I'm not quite sure what your point is.

I was talking about previous availability of parking space and how insufficient it was, about how I hope it has improved. I didn't mention access for emergency vehicles.

I'm not quite sure what your point is.

I was talking about previous availability of parking space and how insufficient it was, about how I hope it has improved. I didn't mention access for emergency vehicles.

My point was, simply, that I am glad you were not delayed by traffic getting your wife to the hospital ok in time for the birth of the child and were not delayed by excessive traffic on Tanon Suthep. You were lucky that it was in the middle of the night! Not all such trips with a baby immediately due happen in the middle of the night!

Edited by Mapguy

My point was, simply, that I am glad you were not delayed by traffic getting your wife to the hospital ok in time for the birth of the child and were not delayed by excessive traffic on Tanon Suthep. You were lucky that it was in the middle of the night! Not all such trips with a baby immeidately due happen in the middle of the night!

Thank you for your concern, though labour generally lasts several hours and though traffic is bad, its never that bad.

Cardiac arrest, if you're trying to get to Suan Dok at rush hour, they may as well take you straight to the morgue.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually succeeded in getting their vehicle into that new parking structure, Suan Dok Park at the corner of Suthep and Srimankalajarn. The few I've talked with say when they've tried it's been blocked, maybe as full.

Incidentally, that's not a Tesco Lotus Express on the ground level, but one of those new-fangled Tops Daily or whatever Tops is calling their version of the Tops "Express". Remember, there's a huge new dorm complex across Srimankalajarn for the medical students. I think those ground floor shops are intended for them.

Meanwhile, I'm fortunate to live on Huey Kaew, just a 20 baht song thaew ride away from Suan Dok hospital. Friends park in my condo garage when they want to go to Suan Dok/Sripat.

Oh, I don't know the answer about what to do about Huey Kaew. For several years, my kitchen window overlooked that U-turn intersection at the Shell station. It was the first time I saw death in Thailand -- while cooking and washing dishes. It isn't a parking problem like Suthep Road. Fortunately, we changed condos within the same building and fixing dinner is less traumatic. I don't mean to sound flip, but that has got to be one of the most unsafe intersections in the city.

Edited by NancyL

Cardiac arrest, if you're trying to get to Suan Dok at rush hour, they may as well take you straight to the morgue.

happens all the time in Bangkok. patients die in the ambulance as they get stuck in traffic and make it to the hospital in time.