Visiting Thailand with my half-Thai son

I am a US citizen living in the United States with my son who was born in Thailand in 2007. His mother is Thai, and we were married after our son's birth. I brought my wife and son to the US in 2009. My wife and I were divorced here in the US in 2012. We have joint custody of our son.

My son had a Thai and US passports, both of which have expired. I will renew his US passport in the near future.

I am considering traveling to Thailand with my son next year. My ex-wife will not accompany us. My initial thought is that my son and I will travel using our US passports. However, I am wondering if my son will have any problems clearing Thai immigration both coming into and leaving the country if he travels with only a US passport. Any information or advice is appreciated.

^ and who gunna look after the 7yo while daddy goes on a visa run?

OP does not need to go on a visa runs. First of all he can get non-imm O single or multi-entry visa for the reason of having a Thai family member.

Secondly he can get extensions of stays of 60 days or one year (with different requirements) once in Thailand.

"Secondly he can get extensions of stays of 60 days or one year (with different requirements) once in Thailand."

Doesn't the Thai he is visiting have to actually live in Thailand?

Immigration only requires that the Thai family member has a Thai ID and is registered in a Tambien Baan.

From the original post in this topic I did not get the impression that the OP, rank stranger, plans to settle with his son in Thailand, but merely plans a visit of short duration. Two US nationals, father and son, going on a vacation in Thailand.