Immigration Announcement About Visa Exempt Extensions & Other Changes On the 29th

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The text of the announcement seems to be in contradiction with the published police order 139/2557.

2.4 In the case of tourism purposes:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than 30 days from the date on which the permitted period has lapsed.

"Each permisison" seems to indicate that multiple 30 day extensions are possible. It does not say only one time, although that would be logical. But could be translation issue.

Note that this is not a general immigration announcement, but comes from Bangkok Immigration Division 1 and is their interpretation of the rules.

It may not be applied as stated elsewhere.

It is for everywhere not just Bangkok.

The announcement is almost word for word what the new police order states.

• Like 1

So is there anything to stop you "ED visa hopping" to stay a long time in Thailand, according to latest rules?

e.g 2 years at place A, another 2 years at place B ad nauseum .... so long as you leave the country each year to get a new ED visa?

The text of the announcement seems to be in contradiction with the published police order 139/2557.

2.4 In the case of tourism purposes:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than 30 days from the date on which the permitted period has lapsed.

"Each permisison" seems to indicate that multiple 30 day extensions are possible. It does not say only one time, although that would be logical. But could be translation issue.

It does say one time only.

• Like 2

I will be putting this to the test next week. Can I apply within the first couple weeks? I'd like to get it handled so I can confirm my acomodations for the extra 6 weeks I'll be spending that I didn't originally plan on. But wait, won't I need to show proof of those acomodations while applying? that doesnt make sense though because I won't have a confirmation until I know my stay is extended.

Does that mean for ED's its one year only and no ability to leave, get another ED and continue study..

It sort of reads that way or only consecutively 'for that entry' ??

Looks like the same for the NGOs

Only if they cannot get this from clause 2.21 on of the police order.

"(3) Must have been confirmed and requested by the head of a government agency equivalent to or higher than the departmental level or by the head of a state enterprise or by the head of another government agency relating to the organization."

Does that mean for ED's its one year only and no ability to leave, get another ED and continue study..

It sort of reads that way or only consecutively 'for that entry' ??

Looks like the same for the NGOs

You have to leave after 1 year, but can apply for a new ED-visa or Non-O visa in the case of volunteers.

Following the announcement last week that from 29 August one could get a 30 day visa/visa exempt on arrival and then extend for a further 30 days I went to Hua Hin immigration yesterday to check this out as my family are visiting for 7 weeks (they will have confirmed flights out etc at the end) in November/December. The immigration officer there said he had now knowledge of this and that my family would need to get a 60 day visa from local embassy or consulate in country of origin ie uk

I wonder how long it takes for information to flow through ???? to be safe I have advised them to get all the documentation in order in home country not here ... just in case our local immigration officer is not quite up to date when they visit

• Like 2

I will be putting this to the test next week. Can I apply within the first couple weeks? I'd like to get it handled so I can confirm my acomodations for the extra 6 weeks I'll be spending that I didn't originally plan on. But wait, won't I need to show proof of those acomodations while applying? that doesnt make sense though because I won't have a confirmation until I know my stay is extended.

The police order does not list anything more than an application form and passport copies to get the extension.

Until we get some reports about what immigration is actually wanting it remains an unknown.

The only place that tickets and proof of accommodations were mentioned was in a news article.

Following the announcement last week that from 29 August one could get a 30 day visa/visa exempt on arrival and then extend for a further 30 days I went to Hua Hin immigration yesterday to check this out as my family are visiting for 7 weeks (they will have confirmed flights out etc at the end) in November/December. The immigration officer there said he had now knowledge of this and that my family would need to get a 60 day visa from local embassy or consulate in country of origin ie uk

I wonder how long it takes for information to flow through ???? to be safe I have advised them to get all the documentation in order in home country not here ... just in case our local immigration officer is not quite up to date when they visit

If only for peace of mind and a stress free stay get a tourist visa. All problems solved.
  • Like 1

So how many times can someone go out of the country to get a new ed visa every year?

How many year are you going to study.

It says you have to get outside Thailand every year to get a new ED. So it up to you how many times you want to study

ALIENS ???? Why not INVADERS !?

They just dont have any respect for us...

Every country in the world should call the local Thais also something similar......

Bet BKK will contact their embassadors to mention this to the interior ministers ! coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Can tourists on a 30 day visa exempt stamp extend for 30 days in Thailand, or is it still a border run? Any ideas?

That is what number 1 says and it has been announced before.

You can extend a 30 day visa exempt entry for 30 days just apply at immigration and pay 1900 baht.

• Like 2