Immigration Announcement About Visa Exempt Extensions & Other Changes On the 29th

2. in case that the application for extension of temporary stay is not approved due to incomplete qualifications and the alien has got only 7 days extension of stay in order to leave the Kingdom , such alien is not able to appeal for reconsideration of non-permission

incomplete qualifications? means? form filled, pics, 1900THB and what else?

Those are just the documents required that you mentioned.

What they mean is that a person is found not to qualify for the extension of stay applied for based upon the police order.

If you are lacking required documents or they want more they will not accept the application. Once they accept the application and you pay the fee is when the denial and 7 days come in.

This is how it is written in the police order.

4. In case where an applying alien does not meet the full qualification stipulated by the criteria herein, the alien must be notified of the non-permission order and must depart from the Kingdom within seven days from the date on which the permitted period has lapsed.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. in case that the application for extension of temporary stay is not approved due to incomplete qualifications and the alien has got only 7 days extension of stay in order to leave the Kingdom , such alien is not able to appeal for reconsideration of non-permission

incomplete qualifications? means? form filled, pics, 1900THB and what else?

What they mean is that a person is found not to qualify for the extension of stay applied for based upon the police order.

If you are lacking required documents or they want more they will not accept the application. Once they accept the application and you pay the fee is when the denial and 7 days come in.

4. In case where an applying alien does not meet the full qualification stipulated by the criteria herein, the alien must be notified of the non-permission order and must depart from the Kingdom within seven days from the date on which the permitted period has lapsed.
Thanks Ubonjoe.
I realise I'm being pedantic (!) but nowhere in the OP do I see reference to any previous police order(s). Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm looking at the downloaded PDF as I write this. In fact it is actually entitled new regulation.
Therefore I read it that the this new announcement itself is 327/2557 and that it therefore implied that it superseded earlier orders especially as none is mentioned.
This is especially true if the current announcement is read in isolation
Not being deliberately confrontational as I know your knowledge of the system is way superior to mine wai2.gif but do you see where it's ambiguous?
Edited by VBF

Can anyone explain to me the thinking behind the necessity to leave the country every 90 days on a a 12 month non O visa. All it seems to do is put coffers into the Cambodian pockets or whatever country you go to which would otherwise be spent in Thailand. Also one only has to walk across the border and then walk back again, bloody ridiculous the whole system.

Can anyone explain to me the thinking behind the necessity to leave the country every 90 days on a a 12 month non O visa. All it seems to do is put coffers into the Cambodian pockets or whatever country you go to which would otherwise be spent in Thailand. Also one only has to walk across the border and then walk back again, bloody ridiculous the whole system.

Apply for a one year extension of stay and you won't have to.

Thanks Ubonjoe.

I realise I'm being pedantic (!) but nowhere in the OP do I see reference to any previous police order(s). Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm looking at the downloaded PDF as I write this. In fact it is actually entitled new regulation.

Therefore I read it that the this new announcement itself is 327/2557 and that it therefore implied that it superseded earlier orders especially as none is mentioned.

This is especially true if the current announcement is read in isolation

Not being deliberately confrontational as I know your knowledge of the system is way superior to mine wai2.gif but do you see where it's ambiguous?

What I posted is from 327/2557. In fact that part of (4) in the previous police order 777/2551 is identical to it.

The new police order does not have the text that was part of (4) that allowed for an appeal in the old one.

I have a Mulitple Entry ED Visa (1 year)

Previously I was able to re-enter Thailand the day before the visa expired and be granted an additional 90 days - effectively getting 15 months from the visa.

Am I correct in my understanding that I can no longer do this?

Not correct, you can. There are no changes for visa, only for extension of stay. With the correct paper work from school you can extend for 90 days at immigration for Bt 1,900, up to a total of 1 year of continuous stay in country.

But... It says that you can only extend 90 days at a time for a total of one year from date of entering the kingdom. I most recently entered in April 2014, but was just granted a 1 year extension from MOE starting on September 1st. Will They give me the proper extensions through September 2015 or am I screwed in April 2015? If that's the case I'll be losing out on 5 months on this current extension.

Just looking for positive reinforcement. I'll hopefully get more clear answers at immigration tomorrow. Will post my findings....

Chitownhustla Im in pretty much the same boat as you except Im currently outside Thailand, coming back next week (with a reentry permit) and wondering if I will lose my extension of stay on my Ed Visa (currently extended until June 2015). Look forward to hearing what your findings are at immigration tomorrowCh

• Like 1

Chitownhustla Im in pretty much the same boat as you except Im currently outside Thailand, coming back next week (with a reentry permit) and wondering if I will lose my extension of stay on my Ed Visa (currently extended until June 2015). Look forward to hearing what your findings are at immigration tomorrowCh

The changes are about how new extensions are granted from now, and are not retroactive. Extensions already granted will not be changed.

• Like 1

Following the announcement last week that from 29 August one could get a 30 day visa/visa exempt on arrival and then extend for a further 30 days I went to Hua Hin immigration yesterday to check this out as my family are visiting for 7 weeks (they will have confirmed flights out etc at the end) in November/December. The immigration officer there said he had now knowledge of this and that my family would need to get a 60 day visa from local embassy or consulate in country of origin ie uk

I wonder how long it takes for information to flow through ???? to be safe I have advised them to get all the documentation in order in home country not here ... just in case our local immigration officer is not quite up to date when they visit

Without a visa your family wouldn't be able to board the plane in England.........airlines are not allowed to let you fly with no visa if your return flight takes you past the 30 days in Thailand.

See

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754481-boarding-to-thailand-without-return-ticket/

about what to do in these cases

It means that 'aliens' from Europe will be able to spend the two coldest months of the year in the Land of Smiles without having to bother to apply for a tourist visa. Great! thumbsup.gif

As mentioned before many times. Doing like that would cost more, Bt. 1,900 vs 1,000. But it is still good for many situations.

Can tourists on a 30 day visa exempt stamp extend for 30 days in Thailand, or is it still a border run? Any ideas?

As far as I know and understand, if you arrive without a visa you will be issued the 30 day Visa upon arrival, as it is known.....some people call it a Visa exempt stamp...right?

A 30 day upon arrival stamp is issued for most nationalities but some nationalities will receive a 15 day stamp upon arrival while a few countries are required to have a visa prior to arrival or they will not pass immigration.

Recently, When 2 of my friends and I went to the immigration offices at Chaengwattana they were told they can only receive a 7 day tourist status extension relative to a visa upon arrival.

If you are going to post replies that are meant to be helpful, it would be useful if you got your facts right. "the 30 day Visa upon arrival, as it is known.....some people call it a Visa exempt stamp...right?"

Wrong! A Visa On Arrival (or VOA) is what is says a Visa that is issued to only passport holders of certain countries who do not qualify for entry under the Visa Exemption Scheme. Visa Exempt means you are exempt or not required to have a Visa at all for up to 30 days if you are the holder of one of 49 qualifying countries. If you qualify you receive a Visa Exempt stamp in your passport on arriving into Thailand that grants you this exemption. This is NOT a Visa and it is the abuse of this system that has lead to the crackdown. These changes now mean that you can receive an extension of up to a further 30 days instead of the previous 60 days which means that you can stay in Thailand for a maximum of 60 days WITHOUT a visa because you are exempt. Clear now?

Can tourists on a 30 day visa exempt stamp extend for 30 days in Thailand, or is it still a border run? Any ideas?

As far as I know and understand, if you arrive without a visa you will be issued the 30 day Visa upon arrival, as it is known.....some people call it a Visa exempt stamp...right?

A 30 day upon arrival stamp is issued for most nationalities but some nationalities will receive a 15 day stamp upon arrival while a few countries are required to have a visa prior to arrival or they will not pass immigration.

Recently, When 2 of my friends and I went to the immigration offices at Chaengwattana they were told they can only receive a 7 day tourist status extension relative to a visa upon arrival.

If you are going to post replies that are meant to be helpful, it would be useful if you got your facts right. "the 30 day Visa upon arrival, as it is known.....some people call it a Visa exempt stamp...right?"

Wrong! A Visa On Arrival (or VOA) is what is says a Visa that is issued to only passport holders of certain countries who do not qualify for entry under the Visa Exemption Scheme. Visa Exempt means you are exempt or not required to have a Visa at all for up to 30 days if you are the holder of one of 49 qualifying countries. If you qualify you receive a Visa Exempt stamp in your passport on arriving into Thailand that grants you this exemption. This is NOT a Visa and it is the abuse of this system that has lead to the crackdown. These changes now mean that you can receive an extension of up to a further 30 days instead of the previous 60 days which means that you can stay in Thailand for a maximum of 60 days WITHOUT a visa because you are exempt. Clear now?

Yes sir boss man.... so clear now.

Meantime, learn how to correct people with a little bit of finesse ...better yet, a whole lot more finesse as you are obviously lacking that particular attribute....lol

You don't get a Tourist visa for 1000 baht in my home country smile.png

Approximately. For example as of today UK 25 GBP = 1,300 THB. Canada 40 CAD = 1,170 THB. Australia 45 AUD = 1,320 Bt.

The problem is not the 1300 baht. But Thai the embassy or consulate don't accept mailing in your passport for visa. They stopped doing that 2-3 years ago. Then I have about 1000 km travel to the closest embassy/consulat. And that cost a lot of time and money

You don't get a Tourist visa for 1000 baht in my home country smile.png

Approximately. For example as of today UK 25 GBP = 1,300 THB. Canada 40 CAD = 1,170 THB. Australia 45 AUD = 1,320 Bt.

The problem is not the 1300 baht. But Thai the embassy or consulate don't accept mailing in your passport for visa. They stopped doing that 2-3 years ago. Then I have about 1000 km travel to the closest embassy/consulat. And that cost a lot of time and Money.

I can imagine they have the same problem in Canada or Australia out of those 3 sample countris you wrote. In a small country like UK with that many consulates everyone will have a short distance

The problem is not the 1300 baht. But Thai the embassy or consulate don't accept mailing in your passport for visa. They stopped doing that 2-3 years ago. Then I have about 1000 km travel to the closest embassy/consulat. And that cost a lot of time and Money.

I can imagine they have the same problem in Canada or Australia out of those 3 sample countris you wrote. In a small country like UK with that many consulates everyone will have a short distance

Most countries provide visa service by mail. For example, USA, Canada, Australia.

It means that 'aliens' from Europe will be able to spend the two coldest months of the year in the Land of Smiles without having to bother to apply for a tourist visa. Great! thumbsup.gif

I don't think so. Many European airlines will not let you board

if you want stay more than 30 days and don't have a visa...

This new 30-days extensions seems rather useless for most farang tourists IMHO

I am sure airlines will catch up with this eventually, but in the meantime I expect some people will have trouble getting on planes.

I would suggest those intending to extend the visa exempt entry get something from the airline head office, in writing, before going to the airport. This can be shown to check in clerk in the event of problems. E-mail should do it. Some airlines know about changes such as this, but have trouble getting info to front line staff.

• Like 1

I am sure airlines will catch up with this eventually, but in the meantime I expect some people will have trouble getting on planes.

I would suggest those intending to extend the visa exempt entry get something from the airline head office, in writing, before going to the airport. This can be shown to check in clerk in the event of problems. E-mail should do it. Some airlines know about changes such as this, but have trouble getting info to front line staff.

See

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754481-boarding-to-thailand-without-return-ticket/

for how to board with no visa and no return ticket.

• Like 1

See

for how to board with no visa and no return ticket.

Point taken. The real point is be prepared.

The ones most likely to have a problem are those with a genuine onward ticket for between 31 and 60 days later and expect to have no problems because of the new rules.

Common sense should prevail, but common sense and check in clerks do not always go togeather.

I should add that I know of someone who had a return ticket for about 35 days later and spent an age trying to get through to the clerk that he could get a 7 day extension.

Edited by CRUNCHER

I am a stranger

I'm a foreigner

FARANG

Maybe you should know that 'farang' especially when written all uppercase does not have a very benign connotation, and foreigners should avoid it when referring to themselves.

Yes they should. I would rather be referred to as an alien or visitor or something, with farang the worst word to use and foreigner only marginally better. In most countries at airport or land border crossing immigration, non-citizens are referred to as "other passport holders", "visitors", "non-citizens" or something similar that is not as harsh and unwelcoming as "foreign" or "foreigners". Only in Thailand have I seen passport control where it says "foreign passports"; not a very welcoming sign in a country that is so well known for it's tourism industry. In Australia, Singapore, even Cambodia and Vietnam, the words "foreigner" or "foreign passports" do not appear at passport control and nor should they.

• Like 1

Anyone wanting to stay more than 30 days should get a tourist visa. If for some reason you don't know how long you are staying and don't or can't get a tourist visa in advance there are 2 simple solutions rather than trying to explain things to a clueless clerk:

1) bring a printed itinerary to the airport that shows an outbound flight within 30 days, even though you don't intend to get on that flight. It will cost you nothing. You can save yourself a lot of hassles with explanations about the new extension rules with this proof. This method is best for those coming to Thailand who may end up spending a long time in the region, but for whatever reason weren't able to secure a tourist visa in advance. Perhaps they are FIFO oil/gas/mining guys on a break without a confirmed outbound ticket within 30 days or they may be coming to look for a job, then hoping to get a non-B in a neighboring country after having an interview or something. For everyone else see option 2).

or

2) if you are coming into the country with a return or onward ticket (as most visitors do) then buy a flexible date onward/return ticket with NO charges to change the date (yes this costs $100-200 more than the cheapest el cheapo ticket but it's well worth it). You book the return/onward portion for a date within 30 days of travel. Then, at anytime after you have passed check-in, you can call or email the airline or travel agent to change the ticket to a more suitable date. Most likely you won't be rushing to do that at the departure airport mainly because you really don't know when you want to leave that early in the trip (before even arriving in Thailand). But since date changes are free you can make an unlimited number of changes. All you need to ensure is that the booked date of return is within 30 days at the time you check-in. At anytime afterwards you can make changes.

Anyone wanting to stay more than 30 days should get a tourist visa. If for some reason you don't know how long you are staying and don't or can't get a tourist visa in advance there are 2 simple solutions rather than trying to explain things to a clueless clerk:

1) bring a printed itinerary to the airport that shows an outbound flight within 30 days, even though you don't intend to get on that flight. It will cost you nothing. You can save yourself a lot of hassles with explanations about the new extension rules with this proof. This method is best for those coming to Thailand who may end up spending a long time in the region, but for whatever reason weren't able to secure a tourist visa in advance. Perhaps they are FIFO oil/gas/mining guys on a break without a confirmed outbound ticket within 30 days or they may be coming to look for a job, then hoping to get a non-B in a neighboring country after having an interview or something. For everyone else see option 2).

or

2) if you are coming into the country with a return or onward ticket (as most visitors do) then buy a flexible date onward/return ticket with NO charges to change the date (yes this costs $100-200 more than the cheapest el cheapo ticket but it's well worth it). You book the return/onward portion for a date within 30 days of travel. Then, at anytime after you have passed check-in, you can call or email the airline or travel agent to change the ticket to a more suitable date. Most likely you won't be rushing to do that at the departure airport mainly because you really don't know when you want to leave that early in the trip (before even arriving in Thailand). But since date changes are free you can make an unlimited number of changes. All you need to ensure is that the booked date of return is within 30 days at the time you check-in. At anytime afterwards you can make changes.

Yeah I don't understand what the big deal is here when ever I need onward tickets I just purchase a fully refundable one from Cathay Pacific and cancel it once I enter. The refund is very easy to request via email and come within about 10 days but they have up to 21 days to do it. Problem solved and no worries at all. Just make sure you time which credit card has the best closing date so you dont actually have to pay for the ticket before you get the refund.

Yeah I don't understand what the big deal is here when ever I need onward tickets I just purchase a fully refundable one from Cathay Pacific and cancel it once I enter. The refund is very easy to request via email and come within about 10 days but they have up to 21 days to do it. Problem solved and no worries at all. Just make sure you time which credit card has the best closing date so you dont actually have to pay for the ticket before you get the refund.

There are other methods as well to not place much burden on the credit cards.

There are other methods as well to not place much burden on the credit cards.

Sure, if you don't have the credit limit or cards to spare I'd go with your option 3 but that might be too much of a hassle for me. I like to print everything out and make sure I have everything ready to go before I even leave. I prefer not to buy throw-away tickets as that's just wasteful. But yes, I agree, plenty of better options than to show up with a ticket outside of the requirements.

"3. Buy and print a fully refundable/unrestricted e-ticket to show at check-in. A simple way to do that is to buy a ticket online to e.g Kuala Lumpur on Expedia, US site. The ticket can be cancelled and refunded with no fee within 24 hours. Other airlines can give more options but the purchase price can be high.

"

We were told, if you have a 30 day or 60 day tourist visa obtained from a Thai embassy, prior to arrival then ( then ), you can obtain a 30 day extension at Cheangwattana or other provincial immigration office

But not always as it is up to the immigration officer and their mood ...it seems.

You can point out to them that you have a 30 day visa obtained prior to arrival from a Thai embassy but they can still deny you a 30 day extension and only give you 7 days or 15 days .....or none at all...as it is up to them and it seems, all too often, their mood and disposition decides at the time you are sitting in front of them applying for the extension.

In other words some of them can be nasty little people who want to make your day miserable ...if they want.

You would not be the first to be turned down because of their mood....maybe hemorrhoids, that time of the month, booze on your breath, the way you dress and look, not smiling enough and or acknowledging their level of importance....or the last foreigner pissed them off so now they are going to take it out on you and get a little revenge.

When I asked about going to an embassy and applying for a 90 day tourist visa I was told they do not issue 90 day tourist visas any more.

That is what I was told but I surmise some embassy can or will issue a 90 day visa if they want.

I used to obtain 90 day tourist visas, 3 journeys at a time, as a matter of routine from nearly every embassy in the South East Asian region...back in the day....but not so long ago.

I was told you can obtain 2 back to back, 60 day tourist visas ( known as 2 journeys ) from most embassies and for most passports while you have to leave the country before or on the 60th day and use or activate the second journey before the date seen attached to the visas...or either one of them become void.

Same rules as have always existed

When I asked what would happen when a person finishes the 1st Visa ( 1st 60 day journey ) and by way of land.....say you go to the Cambodian border to exit and re-enter on the same day, then would a person or could a person be turned down and be suspect of doing supposed visa border runs.

I was told ( NO ) because you already have the 2nd Journey paid for through the Thai embassy where you obtained the 2, 60 day tourist visas.

So, in theory, you will not be restricted when activating your 2nd journey when coming back into the country ....in theory.

I told them , some people have a visa from a Thai embassy but they are being scrutinized by the immigration personal at some border points.

They told me, in theory you should not be turned down because you already have the 2nd journey existing in your passport, meaning that you are officially granted permission, 2 times, to enter the country by the Thai consulate general at the Thai embassy where you obtained your visas......

When I said: Sometimes it is up to the mood of the immigration officer at what ever border point you are trying to -re-enter Thailand, the immigration officer smiled and said : Yes, sometimes they will not allow you to enter......for some reason......but in theory you can re-enter.

When I said, with a smile: Maybe have to pay again at the border??.....the officer smiled more and said: "Maybe...like that..........lol

It seems to me if you can enter and re-enter into Thailand by way of the Airport then you most likely will not have any problems and or anyone scrutinizing you or your passport.

However if you enter or re-enter by land then you have a much higher chance of being questioned and scrutinized and possibly turned down.

So, from 25 years of living in Thailand I predict what will happen is the immigration officials at the border will comply with the new rules and start to question and scrutinize all the more foreigners entering and or re-entering into Thailand ....because the pressure is on them to comply with the new order of things ...so to speak.

But, you have to understand that the border run business was a profitable business for many people and it could not be accomplished without the cooperation of (some) or a good number of immigration officials at various levels and let it develop the way it did develop and evolve over the years.

Now those people are more or less cut off from the lucrative cash flow that they were once afforded until recently.

I predict they will find ways to profit from the visa racket once again.

Given some time, More than likely it will be known and word will get around that you simply give the officer(s) a border crossing fee ( 500 baht or 1000 baht.....whatever ) and pass through immigration with big smiles from everyone....very profitable...several hundred people a day......thank you very much...welcome to Thailand.

Cheers

I was corrected by someone concerning what I said about a Visa On Arrival being the same as a Visa Exempt.

They were correct but it is not important at all........or not as important as they implied

In the end, either one of the stamps, stamped into your passport are essentially the same as they grant you either 15 days or 30 days for some nationalities.

Read the information posted below and you deicide if there is some significant difference between the 2 kinds of tourist immigration status stamp issued when you arrive at the airport.

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/55

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/home

I was told by immigration officials if you do not have a visa prior to arrival you can not obtain a 30 day extension.....rather they give you only 7 days extension.

Correct me if I am wrong as I like to learn and digest new information and do not mind being corrected if I am wrong or misunderstanding something about some things....lol

Cheers