Baby coming soon, wife will stop working. How much should I pay each month?

davidst01

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The expenses of a newborn are quite high. There are a lot of hidden costs. We went through and average of 6-8 diapers a day, if you are good you can potty train early but our daughter is 4 and still wears 1 diaper for the night. 50/50% dry. but as others have said at least 1k baht a month for diapers. Milk is expensive and since hospitals don't train women properly on how to breast feed, you will most likely have to buy milk. That is another 800-1,500 a month depending on the brand and quality. health care is typically free but the service is crap. If the Mom wants private care and all immunizations that are not covered by the 30 baht program, you will need to shell out another 800-1000 baht a month for that. Expect illnesses and colds and the like especially.

The rough estimate of having a child is about 10-15,000 baht a month more than what you have been spending up to this point. Then add school, and special classes on top of that in 6-9 months.

Can't imagine any Thai family spending 10-15k a month on their baby.

2-3k would probably be too much for most families.

Immunizations, the free ones are far too many IMHO.

Can't see any benefits in private health care, the government hospitals are fine.

Yep, a hospital visit takes all morning, but most of the new moms are happy to chat with each other.

I've also found the monthly costs don't vary much as they get older, what you spend on nursery, you save on milk powder and diapers.

For me a fairly constant cost in the 2-4k per child per month (so far with kids age 0-3 and age 12-15).

Listen up, good formula runs close to 3000 baht a month, diapers 1000 month. All of our baby girls innoculations were from same hospital where born and they do cost a bit. If you have money why would you take a chance with anything that's free. We're in and out of hospital quick.

I get a good laugh at the foreigners bragging and lecturing about how cheap they can live here.

Hmmm...he only puts things in a perspective.....nothing more.

• Like 2

I stopped reading after this

- 5 baht ironing per shirt

Do you think this guy is serious, or is he just amusing himself?

Er, YES, I DID say, "AMusing" himself. No ABuse intended or implied.

Edited by Torrens54

6 shirts an hour (about 10 minutes per shirt) x 8 hours a day = 48 shirts

48 shirts x 5 bht/shirt = 240 baht per day

NB:

From January 1 of this year, Thailand's employers must pay all employees at least 300 baht (about $10) a day. If they don't, they will face six months in jail and/or a 100,000 baht fine for not complying.

• Like 1

you pay what needs to be paid that week, that day,

children grow quick, so its not just nappies,, cloaths youll be buying them more often then you think,

i dont say anything when out shoping,if my wife picks something up and puts it in the trolly then we must need it as she is tighter then me,

and yes i know its late but our little one has a slight fever, so im up the wifes just giving her some calpoll yes you might have to buy medicine to keep at your house,

gongrats on the baby anyway

jake,

• Like 1

If you are worried about how much to "pay" your wife and the mother of your children, you clearly are not ready for the responsibilities of a husband and father. Sit down together and set a household budget that both of you can agree with, and then stick to it. Don't be "khee nhow", but do live within your income. Try to set a little aside every month for future schooling costs. The nanny is an extravagance now, but will be worth it when your wife returns to work and until the children enter school.

Listen up, good formula runs close to 3000 baht a month, diapers 1000 month. All of our baby girls innoculations were from same hospital where born and they do cost a bit. If you have money why would you take a chance with anything that's free. We're in and out of hospital quick.

I get a good laugh at the foreigners bragging and lecturing about how cheap they can live here.

1. I'm not a foreigner.

2. What's your hurry, she'll be sitting around all day anyway, bet she has more fun sitting with the other moms than sitting at home?

3. Milk powder is 190bht for 900gm from Makro/Tesco (Nestle lasts about 1 week).

4. Diapers are 180bht for 30 from Makro (lasts 2-3 week now)(Mama Poko way more expensive in Tesco).

The milk powder all comes from the same source (usually NZ), explain the difference between 'good formula' and Nestle formula?

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Can't see any benefits in private health care, the government hospitals are fine.

Yep, a hospital visit takes all morning, but most of the new moms are happy to chat with each other.

I've also found the monthly costs don't vary much as they get older, what you spend on nursery, you save on milk powder and diapers.

For me a fairly constant cost in the 2-4k per child per month (so far with kids age 0-3 and age 12-15).

AnotherOneAmerican:

You're claiming that you can raise a child for somewhere between $62 and $125 a month?

That budget strikes me as bare bones - - almost neglectfully low - - certainly no room for aspirational purchases. Just for reference, I spent $30/month in 2013 caring for my German shepard.)

While it is true that many impoverished Thai families do spend as little as this, they are not doing so by choice, but out of economic hardship.

I just hope that there's no one out there who's rationalizing that because some poor Thai families can't spend any more than this on their children, there's no need for them to spend any more than this as well.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

AnotherOneAmerican:

You're claiming that you can raise a child for somewhere between $62 and $125 a month?

That budget strikes me as bare bones - - almost neglectfully low - - certainly no room for aspirational purchases.

While it is true that many impoverished Thai families do spend as little as this, they are not doing so by choice, but out of economic hardship.

I just hope that there's no one out there who's rationalizing that because some poor Thai families can't spend any more than this on their children, there's no need for them to spend any more than this as well.

I've found the government hospital care of children in Thailand to be as good as any in the world.

Mostly what children want, is a father around all the time, not money sent by an absentee parent.

• Like 2

LoL I didnt know this was an option, Ive been fully supporting my girl and my son for the last 2 years, I should employ some methods from OP! where are you paying 8000 baht rent? thats insane, Ive got a small 2 bedroom apartment in bangkok and thats costing me 29k, will be moving to chiang mai soon though.

If you really want to know some costs, formula is about 800 baht a month, nappies around the same. Electricity and water is dirt cheap as you would know. Dont know why you would need a nanny? And to be honest I didnt know Nanny's were that cheap, im paying more for daycare now than a 250 a day nanny would cost where do you find these nanny's?

• Like 2

LoL I didnt know this was an option, Ive been fully supporting my girl and my son for the last 2 years, I should employ some methods from OP! where are you paying 8000 baht rent? thats insane, Ive got a small 2 bedroom apartment in bangkok and thats costing me 29k, will be moving to chiang mai soon though.

If you really want to know some costs, formula is about 800 baht a month, nappies around the same. Electricity and water is dirt cheap as you would know. Dont know why you would need a nanny? And to be honest I didnt know Nanny's were that cheap, im paying more for daycare now than a 250 a day nanny would cost where do you find these nanny's?

Average nursery school in CM takes them from 2 years old, 1,800bht/month from 8am till 4:30pm, 5 days a week. (first month costs double).

Once at age 5, government school is free (inc lunch) until age 13. You just pay for books and uniforms (about 4k/year).

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I stopped reading after this

- 5 baht ironing per shirt

I cannot believe this post....you're asking us what YOU should pay your wife. Sometimes in life (when we become men) we have to figure some things out for ourselves. A good start would be to not tell your wife you think she is on "holidays" while taking care of her new born baby.

• Like 2

The expenses of a newborn are quite high. There are a lot of hidden costs. We went through and average of 6-8 diapers a day, if you are good you can potty train early but our daughter is 4 and still wears 1 diaper for the night. 50/50% dry. but as others have said at least 1k baht a month for diapers. Milk is expensive and since hospitals don't train women properly on how to breast feed, you will most likely have to buy milk. That is another 800-1,500 a month depending on the brand and quality. health care is typically free but the service is crap. If the Mom wants private care and all immunizations that are not covered by the 30 baht program, you will need to shell out another 800-1000 baht a month for that. Expect illnesses and colds and the like especially.

The rough estimate of having a child is about 10-15,000 baht a month more than what you have been spending up to this point. Then add school, and special classes on top of that in 6-9 months.

I could not manage with that little. Alone the school bus is more.... (almost)

Average nursery school in CM takes them from 2 years old, 1,800bht/month from 8am till 4:30pm, 5 days a week. (first month costs double).

Once at age 5, government school is free (inc lunch) until age 13. You just pay for books and uniforms (about 4k/year).

Wow that is insanely cheap, I think at age 5 though I will have to start thinking of international schools, dont know about the government schools here and I want my son to have the best opportunities he can, we will see how it all turns out. In saying that the world is changing so much, if your child is driven and curious they could learn pretty much anything they want from youtube and the internet.

Just a quick word. Having a child is expensive. I reckon we spend 2 k on formula and another 2 k on diapers. But that is the least cost. There are many other things to consider, clothes, detergent, toys, bedding, medical, equipment etc.

I would have thought a joint account is a normal thing.

Alternatively, keep what you need for yourself and send the rest to your wife to run the household.

BMW I am still not sure if this whole post is serious.

To the OP.

Why do you ask a question about how much money you have to pay your wife? These are your kids to, so just pay the bills that comes witht having children If not, use a condom!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Too late for that. ...

• Like 1

Congratulations to both you and your wife for the coming of the little one!

The most helpful advice I can give you is not to panic, enjoy.

When my first one arrived I was amazed by the fact that apart from a few one time expenses there were not really any additional expenses noticed at all. Ours could not tolerate formula so we switched back to breast feeding.

Of course my wife has proved to be a very capable mother in every respect and I consider myself very lucky for that.

Edited by 96tehtarp
  • Like 1

It is really a question of what you can afford . My wife is an infant school teacher who earns bt15,000 per month , I give her bt10,000 .

I am an elderly man with a limited income , but I pay for everything , including Diappers for the grandchildren . When the baby is born , you can expect to buy all the extras , rather than your wife .

Perhaps you could make up the difference between bt10,000 and your wife's full salary .

For Gods sake do not ask this TV lot I read the first 2 and look what you get, rubbish.

Talk it out with your wife she seems a very honest and wise lady am sure she will not screw you. If you follow some of these guys ideas you could cause a bad situation with your wife. And that's not good with baby coming. You seem to want to do the right thing so that is good.

Good luck and congrats to you coming to be a Father.

• Like 1

... so we switched back to breast feeding.

Of course my wife has proved to be a very capable mother in every respect and I consider myself very lucky for that.

Mate ... I'm sending the boys (twins) over.

Forwarding address please ... laugh.png

• Like 1

i use alot more then 400 bath a month for nappies.. 596bath for a pack, and my son use 3-4pack a month

Why does she need a helper?

Is she disabled in some way?

Nappies and milk are about 800bht/month.

But if mom is breast feeding while at home, you won't need milk, so 400bht/month for nappies.

She is still being paid 10k/month, why do need to pay more than you did?

10k/month is still a good Thai wage.

For Gods sake do not ask this TV lot I read the first 2 and look what you get, rubbish.

Talk it out with your wife she seems a very honest and wise lady am sure she will not screw you. If you follow some of these guys ideas you could cause a bad situation with your wife. And that's not good with baby coming. You seem to want to do the right thing so that is good.

Good luck and congrats to you coming to be a Father.

... whistling.gif

I agree with you fellows who say "being a man' isn't enough. Pay the bills, don't grip about it, don't add to your wife's burden of raising a first child. The first is always the hardest. I agree, why a nanny? Housekeeper 2 times a week is a good idea unless you think it will cost too much and are willing to do it yourself. Hey, that is a great money saver and a major "manly" contribution to the household!

As a nurse, suggest she get some training on breast feeding from the maternity department at her hospital. IF she wants to breast feed. It is mainly difficult the first week or so until her milk fully comes in. Also, to the fellow who wrote about post partum depression, you are so right. This can occur months after delivery.

And I have to take issue with your comment about your wife taking "holidays" time while being away from work. Write in three months and tell me about her fabulous holiday time.

I fear you will have difficulty adjusting to your new manly role, begrudgingly helping, etc. You may be needier than the new baby. Good luck.

I agree with you fellows who say "being a man' isn't enough. Pay the bills, don't grip about it, don't add to your wife's burden of raising a first child. The first is always the hardest. I agree, why a nanny? Housekeeper 2 times a week is a good idea unless you think it will cost too much and are willing to do it yourself. Hey, that is a great money saver and a major "manly" contribution to the household!

As a nurse, suggest she get some training on breast feeding from the maternity department at her hospital. IF she wants to breast feed. It is mainly difficult the first week or so until her milk fully comes in. Also, to the fellow who wrote about post partum depression, you are so right. This can occur months after delivery.

And I have to take issue with your comment about your wife taking "holidays" time while being away from work. Write in three months and tell me about her fabulous holiday time.

I fear you will have difficulty adjusting to your new manly role, begrudgingly helping, etc. You may be needier than the new baby. Good luck.

somebody who pays his wife 5 baht per ironed shirt is not a man!

• Like 2