Baby coming soon, wife will stop working. How much should I pay each month?

davidst01

I have recently joined the adult world by getting married. Our baby is due soon and my wife will stop working. It is time for me to 'be a man' and pay all the bills.

I thus write to ask your opinion as to how much I should be giving her each month to buy food and things for the baby (and for us).

My wife is a Civil Servant and she just signed a form agreeing to not work in any private clinics or hospitals and therefore be entitled to thb10k a month payment. Im not sure if she will be paid any other money during the said maternity leave from the govt hospital.

Up to now she has contributed to half of most bills and we have been taking turns with buying dinner etc. I am more than prepared to be a man now and cover all expenses during the 3 to 6 months whilst she is on holidays taking care of the baby. After that Im hoping that things will revert back to the old ways (as she earns more money than me).

I intend to pay the following expenses whilst being the main breadwinner:

- 8000 baht a month rent for our 3 b/r new house

- 5 baht ironing per shirt

- 250 baht a day for helper (nanny) to assist with baby, cook and clean

- all house bills i.e. electricity and water

- dog food

With the above in mind, how much cash should I give her for baby costs and food shopping bills. Should I give it to her weekly or monthly. We live in the North east of LOS.

Im interested to hear from the esteemed members of this forum - those that have a family.

many thanks.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

regular stuff like diapers and milk (if not breastfeeding). Diapers will set you back 1000 a month.

don't forget non fixed expenses like innoculations that will come along. I would handle those as actual and not include in monthly stipend.

Give her enough that she doesn't need to worry about running out of stuff - she has enough on her plate.

• Like 1

don't forget non fixed expenses like innoculations that will come along. I would handle those as actual and not include in monthly stipend.

These are free for a Thai baby, as are all their medical expenses.

As mom is a nurse, not even any queuing.

I should have married a nurse...if it means free shots. :)

• Like 2

David ... the OP.

So many things.

But firstly ... please drop the 'I have to be the Man' concept.

That is perpetuated by the group think sometimes you get here on the Forum.

What you need to do is to be the supportive Partner/Husband.

The major question that you have left answered and assume the readers know is ... where do live?

Yes, I read about the rent for the house ... but do you both live together?

No offence but its a bit of a daft question to ask david48. Would you want to live apart from your wife and twins after they were born? Maybe you are lacking sleep and did not read my post enough. I thought it would be obvious that we are living together. cheers

If you are there - which wasn't made exactly clear = why the need for a nanny.....with a young baby and guessing breast feeding this is the easiest time for care....just have to get use to the hours.....manning up is just that - you're the Dad so you're 1/2 the help too & probably all that is needed in the immediate future.....maybe talk nanny later if your wife goes back to work and/or more children come along.....the toddler years are the ones that are more useful for a nanny....most of the friends I have with nannies scale back on using them once the kids are in school because basically the kids will be learning more than a nannys infuence can give them and the parents want to be more intimately involved with the forming of learning/people skills and character guidance.

Seems people on here have enough trouble trying to get/keep a decent maid to do simple house chores let alone someone to entrust a child to.....

Maybe a maid 2 days a week for awhile until the routine becomes easier.

Back in the states the worst behaved children I've ever witnessed all had nannies....they knew who had the leverage and basically held everyone hostage playing everyone against the other. The nannies and parents were bascially powerless.....

Congrats on the new family......

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 2

David ... the OP.

So many things.

But firstly ... please drop the 'I have to be the Man' concept.

That is perpetuated by the group think sometimes you get here on the Forum.

What you need to do is to be the supportive Partner/Husband.

The major question that you have left answered and assume the readers know is ... where do live?

Yes, I read about the rent for the house ... but do you both live together?

No offence but its a bit of a daft question to ask david48. Would you want to live apart from your wife and twins after they were born? Maybe you are lacking sleep and did not read my post enough. I thought it would be obvious that we are living together. cheers

David ... I'm disappointed. You see, one way to try and help people is to establish the issues ... walk a mile in their shoes might be a metaphor. So, rather then assuming a situation, I asked for the facts. 'Assuming' is never a smart thing.

For example, you might have had to return for a period to the West because of a Family illness or work commitments ... many reasons. You assume that I am Thailand ATM ... I'm not, I have commitments in Australia. Also, you have assumed that my Partner is my wife ... she's not.

Establish the facts first, then try and help.

So, your sarcasm has lost me as a helper, and I could have shared much with you.

And, most likely, you have lost your audience here also.

David48,

If we are speaking about ‘assumptions’ then maybe you should not assume my name is David because it is not!

I’ve read numerous comments by you over the years and you seem to be an affable person. However, my only advice to you is that you should try and think before your fingers hit the keyboard. The best example to give was when you commented on the thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/711417-my-gf-wants-to-have-an-abortion/

where you suggested to the OP that he should terminate the child. Coming from a father like yourself was shocking to read.

Please try to make more intelligent posts in the future.

Many thanks for your consideration in this regard.

• Like 2

<deleted>? The Op post is worded very badly to begin with. The fathers here were giving good advice but then OP attacks someone on the basis of another thread? This guy really does not deserve help with an attitude like that.

• Like 1

"Can't imagine any Thai family spending 10-15k a month on their baby.

2-3k would probably be too much for most families."

I am assuming that the OP wants to live a middle class lifestyle. Even Middle Class Thais don't spend only 2-3K baht a month on their children.

"Immunizations, the free ones are far too many IMHO.

Can't see any benefits in private health care, the government hospitals are fine.

Yep, a hospital visit takes all morning, but most of the new moms are happy to chat with each other."

Well, fortunately, you don't work for a National health organization. The OP should check with his home country which immunizations are required for his child to go there. Many of the free Thai ones don't meet US standards so need to check for certain.

As for government hospitals. You can live the way that you want but most decent human beings provide the best for their children not take the cheap way out.

"I've also found the monthly costs don't vary much as they get older, what you spend on nursery, you save on milk powder and diapers.

For me a fairly constant cost in the 2-4k per child per month (so far with kids age 0-3 and age 12-15)."

If you are only paying 2k baht for education, food, clothes, medicines, private lessons, entertainment for a 12-15 year old, I feel bad for them.

Personally, I don't regard you as a reliable source for information. I am also certain that I wouldn't want to live your lifestyle or inflict it on my children.

The expenses of a newborn are quite high. There are a lot of hidden costs. We went through and average of 6-8 diapers a day, if you are good you can potty train early but our daughter is 4 and still wears 1 diaper for the night. 50/50% dry. but as others have said at least 1k baht a month for diapers. Milk is expensive and since hospitals don't train women properly on how to breast feed, you will most likely have to buy milk. That is another 800-1,500 a month depending on the brand and quality. health care is typically free but the service is crap. If the Mom wants private care and all immunizations that are not covered by the 30 baht program, you will need to shell out another 800-1000 baht a month for that. Expect illnesses and colds and the like especially.

The rough estimate of having a child is about 10-15,000 baht a month more than what you have been spending up to this point. Then add school, and special classes on top of that in 6-9 months.

Can't imagine any Thai family spending 10-15k a month on their baby.

2-3k would probably be too much for most families.

Immunizations, the free ones are far too many IMHO.

Can't see any benefits in private health care, the government hospitals are fine.

Yep, a hospital visit takes all morning, but most of the new moms are happy to chat with each other.

I've also found the monthly costs don't vary much as they get older, what you spend on nursery, you save on milk powder and diapers.

For me a fairly constant cost in the 2-4k per child per month (so far with kids age 0-3 and age 12-15).

Listen up, good formula runs close to 3000 baht a month, diapers 1000 month. All of our baby girls innoculations were from same hospital where born and they do cost a bit. If you have money why would you take a chance with anything that's free. We're in and out of hospital quick.

I get a good laugh at the foreigners bragging and lecturing about how cheap they can live here.

Edited by thehelmsman
  • Like 1