ramkhamhaeng university - ED extension denied at Chaeng Watthana

My wife is studying for a bachelor degree in english and today they refused to give an extension on the ED visa. They claimed that she could do it on internet from home country and come to Thailand for exams 3 times a year. I was under the impression that it was only language schools that would be affected by the new rules and not universitys.

On a sidenote, if you have ever been in back country Myanmar you would quickly understand that it is impossible to stream anything, on a good day google opens in 1 minute smile.png .

Are they totally misinterpreting the new rules or can noone study in this country any more?

Edit: Need to add that she had a letter from MOE and exam results from last 2 semester with very good grades that clearly is a result from actually studying.

Edited by Chillout101

It does not seem correct at all.

Was that just one immigration officer or did she ask to talk to a supervisor?

She should go back to immigration and try to at least talk to an officer at the level of inspector or higher. If possible the school should send somebody with her.

• Like 2

I was unfortunatly outside when she went in, but according to her she was the second one they turned down today. It was only two low level officers that agreed she could not get it and she is not the one to ask for a superior.

Just to make this even more weird, when she got the first ED visa and was going to extend it she couldn't do so. In order to extend it she needed 9 points from the first exams, before that the uni would not give her the paper. As the results did not arrive before 4 months after first ED visa was issued she had to go and get yet another one in Yangon. Now she has paper and results from the exam but is denied at immigration.

So how can she get ED visa 2 times if this line of study is not supported according to officers at Chaeng Watthana, it just dosen't add up.

• Like 1

We went back to immigration on Friday and spoke to a deputy inspector this time, he gave the same answer, no extention for the ED visa. The crime my wife has commited is that she is attending a thai class instead of an international one. She has straight A's in thai reading, writing and speaks fluent. The international one requires attending classes and of course the thai one does not. As with other schools it is the teacher that looses face if his/her students get bad grades, so no matter how little they care about school the students will somehow get a passed score.

My wife has gone to Sunday school in Thailand for 3 years in order to get the pre-degree to study in thai university but thay didn't care about that. The inspector said she needed to show 3-4 exam results before they would extend it, only then will they see that she actualy studies. I told him her only option would be to go back on work permit in order to study, but that she would then be on the wrong visa, he was ok with that w00t.gif

I still think this is something they have made up as they go.

Very interesting post. It is not full time program. If they keep denying extensions it will send shock waves as a lot of foreigners study in bachelor programs because it's cheap and attendance requirement is very minimal. Some do it mainly to stay long term in Thailand and thought it was a safer option than learning at a language school. It doesn't sound good.

Edited by MacWalen

We went back to immigration on Friday and spoke to a deputy inspector this time, he gave the same answer, no extention for the ED visa. The crime my wife has commited is that she is attending a thai class instead of an international one. She has straight A's in thai reading, writing and speaks fluent. The international one requires attending classes and of course the thai one does not. As with other schools it is the teacher that looses face if his/her students get bad grades, so no matter how little they care about school the students will somehow get a passed score.

My wife has gone to Sunday school in Thailand for 3 years in order to get the pre-degree to study in thai university but thay didn't care about that. The inspector said she needed to show 3-4 exam results before they would extend it, only then will they see that she actualy studies. I told him her only option would be to go back on work permit in order to study, but that she would then be on the wrong visa, he was ok with that w00t.gif

I still think this is something they have made up as they go.

It is unfortunate for your wife's case but there is a logic to only issuing ED visas for courses that require attendance at classes. I doubt that enrolment in the UK's Open University qualfies for a study visa either. Of course there are classes at Ram that many students choose to attend but they are not compulsory like at non-open Thai unis.

It is unfortunate for your wife's case but there is a logic to only issuing ED visas for courses that require attendance at classes.

But the problem is that the embassies abroad actually do issue ED visas for these studies, they do NOT tell you it is for 3 months only, so of course you plan for 1 year ahead. Someone is doing it wrong, either the embassy or immigration in Thailand

Edited by Chillout101
  • Like 1

But the problem is that the embassies abroad actually do issue ED visas for these studies, they do NOT tell you it is for 3 months only, so of course you plan for 1 year ahead. Someone is doing it wrong, either the embassy or immigration in Thailand

More exactly, Thai embassy/consulates have no idea and no interest about what are the regulations on policies for getting extensions in Thailand. That is true for any country, type of visa, type of extension. The only issue (actually sell) visa and it for them it ends there.

Edited by paz

It is unfortunate for your wife's case but there is a logic to only issuing ED visas for courses that require attendance at classes.

Non immigrant visas allow a 90 day stay If you want to stay longer you extend your stay at immigration. If you plan one year ahead you need to plan for such extension and be sure your school course qualifies you for such.