Planning for the Future - a Celebration Drop

David48

Congratulations on the baby.

Re wine, the problem with a new wine is you cannot be sure it will keep, it almost certainly will not keep in Thailand's climate.

A malt, well there again you have to keep it and Thailand is not a good climate - and anyway, the quality of a malt is determined by the years in the barrel, not the years in the bottle.

That said, I bought a bottle of Macallan 25 Year Old when each of the little GH were born, they are sitting in Granny GH's cellar for a suitable occasion - though the price inflation is going to make that an expensive tipple on the day.

Also in the cellar are bottles of Port which I've bought on various occasions as future gifts.

BUT and this is the but, a cool cellar in the UK is the right place to keep these things - I just do not think they will keep in Thailand.

macallan-25.jpg

Sadly, sold out from the retailers. Advertised prices vary wildly, starting @ over $1,000 a bottle!

The two bottles I have cost me less than GBP150

Two other bottles I had cost the same but I drank them with friends in celebration of the arrival of the little GHs.

Watching Thai friends murder it by adding copious amounts of soda water hurt - but its not good form to complain how one's guests treat the drink you give them.

• Like 2

Two other bottles I had cost the same but I drank them with friends in celebration of the arrival of the little GHs.

Watching Thai friends murder it by adding copious amounts of soda water hurt - but its not good form to complain how one's guests treat the drink you give them.

Yeah, that is the same issue I have, but not only in Thailand, even in Switzerland with some of my colleagues... no idea how to drink Whisky... for them, I always have few bottles of yellow or red label headache stuff.... then they are free to mix with whatever...

Most of my single malts are in the 100-300 CHF area, with one exception... a bottle of single malt, single casket, numbered 1960 vintage... this is the bottle which I will use when it is time to go... cost me 2'500 GBP in the duty free area of Heathrow some years ago...

Yeah, that is the same issue I have, but not only in Thailand, even in Switzerland with some of my colleagues... no idea how to drink Whisky... for them, I always have few bottles of yellow or red label headache stuff.... then they are free to mix with whatever...

Most of my single malts are in the 100-300 CHF area, with one exception... a bottle of single malt, single casket, numbered 1960 vintage... this is the bottle which I will use when it is time to go... cost me 2'500 GBP in the duty free area of Heathrow some years ago...

Gee that's a sober reminder.

Would love to see a pic of that drop if you can?

As GH mentiond, cringing watching friends mix a great whisky. Similar, I've had decent whisky in the village,was just a bottle of Chivas 18yo, still around the $100 mark and the Thais felt it was no good because it was to smooth!

Fine, next time it's Lao kao for them.

Probably a simple answer and probably a dumb question, but how does wine improve with age in the bottle but not whisky?

Already gave the answer here, just ask for more info

So then with secondary fermented beers, why do they improve in the bottle, but not whisky?

Sorry for going off topic David, though it could make a world of difference in around 18 years from now.

Probably a simple answer and probably a dumb question, but how does wine improve with age in the bottle but not whisky?

Already gave the answer here, just ask for more info

So then with secondary fermented beers, why do they improve in the bottle, but not whisky?

Sorry for going off topic David, though it could make a world of difference in around 18 years from now.

Simple... the fermentation stops when the alcohol level reaches a certain limit (15-20% alcohol), because the yeast gets poisoned from the alcohol and dies... that is why Whisky needs to be distilled over and over until it reaches the desired alcohol level.

The main purpose of secondary fermentation in beers by the way is not upgrading the alcohol level, but more to add natural carbonation. However, the skill of the brew master is to only allow as much yeast to be alife in secondary fermentation that the process stops (once all yeald is used up) and the beer does neither have to high alcohol level nor bust the bottle from to much carbon acid

• Like 1

here we go... btw made a mistake, this was 2'500 CHF not GPB... my brain is also ageing... still available today, would be much cheaper due to the exchange rate. One place to find older whisky is http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/ if you ever want something really special (but would not recommend sending into Thailand, would never survive "inspection" by customs....

This bottle will be with me till it is time to say "good-bye world"... then I'll take a bottle of sleeping pills, will first slowly empty the bottle and then drift away with the pills into the next future... for me the second best way to go besides having a heart attack while "coming"...

post-136002-0-41968900-1409221158_thumb.

here we go... btw made a mistake, this was 2'500 CHF not GPB... my brain is also ageing... still available today, would be much cheaper due to the exchange rate. One place to find older whisky is http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/ if you ever want something really special (but would not recommend sending into Thailand, would never survive "inspection" by customs....

This bottle will be with me till it is time to say "good-bye world"... then I'll take a bottle of sleeping pills, will first slowly empty the bottle and then drift away with the pills into the next future... for me the second best way to go besides having a heart attack while "coming"...

Nice drop, but jeez mate, when you said out of here, I hoped you meant Thailand, not the planet.

Life's short, but chin upsmile.png ...let's not plan our final day.

In older time it used to be a British tradition to buy Port or Madeira, vintage port wine or Madeira wine, and store it for 14 or 18 years. A good Port or Madeira can be stored for long time, Madeira up to 150 years, and will mature if stored under fair conditions, which however may be a problem in Thailand. Constant storage temperature is said to be the most important, but constant cellar or cliff cave temperature will be the best.

Bottled alcohol like Cognac and Whisky do not mature after being taken from the oak cask and bottled, but if some with a year printed on the label (like a Glenfiddich anniversary) can be found that will be great fun 18 years later.

Be aware that some “old” single malts come with a cork and that can leak, so part of the content may evaporate (hope it’s the right word) – talk from experience with my dear 21 year SM that had been stored for more than 15 years year and survived the move to Thailand, now I need friends to share the remains with… sad.png

Wish you good luck... smile.png

• Like 1

Whisky and Wine, the two most unliked alcoholic beverages when I was young...

Maybe your sons grow up unaffected from permanent alcohol advertisement/promotion and think about alcohol consumption like nowaday Thais think about chewing betelnut.

How about a Penfold's Grange ? if you can get someone to bring one or two, in from Australia for you.

Mate, this years release Vintage of the Penfold's Grange was cira $800 !

If they were my true sons, they would pipe up and say ... 'Dad ... are you mad? Buy a $30 dollar bottle of plonk, give that expensive Grange to us as a gift and we'll toast you in 20 years time when you turn the daisies up ... and we'll sell the other one to pay for your Cardboard Coffin and the TESCO Flowers' ... laugh.png

Kids ... who would have them ... facepalm.gif

TWINS ... facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

Hey David....you better hope MissFarmGirl is too busy changing nappies to read this thread or you will be getting a clip round the ear for sure!!

Mate ... I phoned her yesterday ... she's somewhat angry with me.

I mentioned in an email that I might delay the return trip to Thailand because her Partner Visa may take a month longer.

On Wednesday, I felt the blood from her fingertips coming from the keyboard.

Phoned her yesterday ... she had calmed a little.

Of course, one of the boys woke while we were arguing chatting. That one woke the other one ... cut the phone call short.

She is already pissed at me ... this little thread ain't gonna add to that ... w00t.gif

Soooo ... back to the thread!

Will a Port age better?

If I buy it, will it have improved in the bottle ... or does it follow the Scotch route ... level of alcohol kills off any chance of improvement?

My goal is to buy something NOW - CHEAP and hopefully, that improves with time.

If that can't be done, thanks to the posts here (thanks) then it can't be done ... I just hold out hope.

Still looking for things uniquely Thai in Origin ... thumbsup.gif

Soooo ... back to the thread!

Will a Port age better?

If I buy it, will it have improved in the bottle ... or does it follow the Scotch route ... level of alcohol kills off any chance of improvement?

My goal is to buy something NOW - CHEAP and hopefully, that improves with time.

If that can't be done, thanks to the posts here (thanks) then it can't be done ... I just hold out hope.

Still looking for things uniquely Thai in Origin ... thumbsup.gif

Yes, Port wine DOES age, within the bottle it will depend on how it was produced / sealed. Port (sometimes also called fortified wine) has an alcohol level of around 20% plus or minus. It will age in the sense of oxidation, meaning it changes colour and taste and should - as any wine - be stored with controlled temperatures and in dark environments.

But another idea: How about collecting fashionable / technical "need-to-have" from their birth age for your kids? How about taking pictures of todays surroundings (buildings, landscape, city shorelines, fashion of 18y olds...)? How about recording some current series / cartoons etc.?

Reason: When kids grow up, they will of course see the slow changes in technology, fashion etc but when they are 18y old, they will normally not be able to compare to how it was 5 or 10y ago, nevertheless 15 or 18y ago... so you could build some kind of "personal museum" for them and I am sure, it would be a stunning experience for them to see pics and toys from their birth year and see the (probalbly) massive changes that evolved during their still so short life.

Why this idea? some years ago, I went with my kids (26 and 28 today) to a technical museum here in Switzerland and showed them old PC, old modems, televisions with tubes, phones with round dials etc... and told them about the non-availability of Internet / social media, told them about writing letters from hand and bringing them to the post office... pretty stunning experience for them.

So it might create a funny evening when in 18 years, you take all the old stuff and pics out of your cellar and compare to the then environment. Just don't forget that during that time, you might need to copy the electronic stuff around due to changing technology... but that would also be a thing to show them, USB sticks / chip cards today towards then.

• Like 1

don't start/encourage your children, even at 18; to drink alcohol, too many drunks already in thai society ...

buy them some stocks ? bonds ?

Boooring!

I still say Dad buys himself something special, and the boys get a box of xxxx.*

*Beer named 4 x, an Australian beer, consumed by a few Queenslanders who don't give a xxxx about any other beer.

• Like 1

^^ Kris, sadly beer tends to deteriorate in taste after about 6 months.

@ Swiss1960 ... a tender idea and I understand your feeling.

In hindsight, I wish I had bought a Thai Newspaper on their special day ... maybe I'll grab one on their 1st Birthday.

Maybe the best gift I can be is to knock back the amount of Booze I consume, lose that kilo or three and make sure that I am actually there to celebrate with them in 18 years time. I'll be in my 60's then ... so I suppose there is a good chance I'll kick on till then.

Still looking for fun things though ... keep those ideas coming ... thumbsup.gif