PM Prayuth meets foreign business community to discuss economic policy

webfact

PM meets foreign business community to discuss economic policy
By Digital Content

14091279531246.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 27 -- Prime Minister Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha, chief of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), told the Thai-European Business Association that the business community should not worry as the government and NCPO are continuing support of trade and investment relations with foreign investors.

Gen Prayuth assured his support for the private sector in his meeting with Thai and European business representatives that the association brought to see him.

They asked about Thai economic reforms and sought support for their investment and trade.

Gen Prayuth said they should not be over-concerned because the NCPO knows that business operators emphasize investment, don't want any political involvement and expect long-term solutions.

He said that the NCPO shared the same focus as the business people.

The delegation led by the Thai-European Business Association is the first business group to meet Gen Prayuth after his royal appointment as prime minister. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-08-27

Didn't the General say he was going to wear suits as PM and not his uniform. As PM and meeting the foreign business community he should be dress in a suit.

Maybe his suit was at the dry cleaners, any major problem there?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Didn't the General say he was going to wear suits as PM and not his uniform. As PM and meeting the foreign business community he should be dress in a suit.

So you think the General only has one suit just like you?

• Like 1

Should - shall- will- be obliged to- always- Have a word with him.

• Like 1

i suspect that the point was, who cares if he wears a suit or not.

Everyone knows he is military and in charge of the coup which has and hopefully will do a lot of good for the country

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Have you access to Artisi's wardrobe ??

I hope one of the foreign business man will tell him to ease the process for foreigners to open a Thai Company and obtain a work permit. wai2.gif

So you also hope that the good general actually appreciates local foreigners?.......I also hope for the same......"hope" being the operative here..

Yes I do.

In the Reuters article that discusses this meeting, it was reported that the Thai premier told the investors 'We are not dictators'.

Was this the introductory joke usually used to break the ice before a speech?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/08/27/uk-thailand-politics-prayuth-idUKKBN0GR12L20140827

No.

I have to say I had a good chuckle when I read it.

Why does he not simply order foreign investors to invest in Thailand?

Because this is not a dictatorship. It would first require a 197-0 vote in the NLA.

The saying "a stupid question deserves an equally stupid answer" comes to mind with this.

• Like 1

I doubt the Thai European Business Association had much to say that was useful. They did nothing during the riots in Bangkok to pressure the Govenment and as usual it was left to us business owners to get on with it. I expect they had a nice lunch and smiled a lot. No action plan to speak about by the look of it to benefit foreign investors. Chalk it up as another successful meeting.

I doubt the Thai European Business Association had much to say that was useful. They did nothing during the riots in Bangkok to pressure the Govenment and as usual it was left to us business owners to get on with it. I expect they had a nice lunch and smiled a lot. No action plan to speak about by the look of it to benefit foreign investors. Chalk it up as another successful meeting.

He is an army man.
He understands the direct language.
For not BOI investors it is very complicated here.

For long-term growth, it is good to have a lot of small, innovative and creative companies.

Well yes, it is a problem.

Most people do feel that men in military uniforms are intimidating, and basically, wearing a suit does make a difference.

We've already seen a step in right direction with the wearing of suits, and this should be continued.

"Prayuth has outlined a year-long roadmap including national reforms, an interim government and elections in 2015."

What does that roadmap actually contain in the national reforms part?

From what I read it looked to me like Thailand was suffering from...democracy before. ie. Voting to take the resources of others and redistribute them.

Now that you are talking about business you should see how they would be leery about things in their current state...

Also, I heard they are running a big deficit in order to increase happiness? Anyone have more info on that?

No. A General trumps a Major.

"The delegation led by the Thai-European Business Association is the first business group to meet Gen Prayuth after his royal appointment as prime minister."

I think Prayuth attending this meeting in his general's military uniform makes it deliberately clear that he is more than the traditional Prime Minister, not to be confused with being a democratically-elected politician. This is the same uniform he wore, I believe, when he led the coup. In fact he refers to the military coup organization NCPO and not the government as the body that makes economic decisions for the country. That is actually very honest - there is no real government as Europeans know. But such a blatant presentation as the country's dictator may be unsettling to the attendants and unintentionally convey to them an economic uncertainty that is not yet settled for long-term investments. This all will not create any immediate ethusiasm for significant investment but continued caution.

One would hope that some business leaders requested that the government make it easier for foreign businesses to work in Thailand without having a silent Thai partner and also the ability to own property outright. This would bring in much more investment in my opinion.

Kamahele, yes it would bring in more investment but would also drive up prices of many things. Land and houses for sure would become very expensive in short order. Most Thais would get priced out very quickly.

If they ever allow foreign investment buy all the land you can because the prices will take off.

• Like 2

His army greens are certainly a statement that would not suit some

i suspect that the point was, who cares if he wears a suit or not.

Everyone knows he is military and in charge of the coup which has and hopefully will do a lot of good for the country

Haw can you think like that you didn't learn the basic at home

DidnQ't the General say he was going to wear suits as PM and not his uniform. As PM and meeting the foreign business community he should be dress in a suit.