Is the scare over for much stricter visa rules for expats?

The problem, re the OP's original question, is this:

Immigration in recent months has begun enforcing stricter rules on out/in visa exempt entries aimed at curtailing visa runners.

But that stepped on the English teachers and others' toes, So the General shows up on TV telling Immigration to give some flexibility.

Problem is -- unless I've missed something in the news -- that we haven't heard or seen anything from Immigration in the wake of the General's comments showing any more lenient policy toward so-called visa runners. AFAIK, they're still enforcing the same rules right now as before the General's comments.

Problem is -- unless I've missed something in the news -- that we haven't heard or seen anything from Immigration in the wake of the General's comments showing any more lenient policy toward so-called visa runners. AFAIK, they're still enforcing the same rules right now as before the General's comments.

I don't think that "we" will hear anything. Rules are pretty much the same as before, and little appears to have changed.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't think that "we" will hear anything. Rules are pretty much the same as before, and little appears to have changed.

Personally, I think people may be reading too much into the 'flexibility' statement by the general towards teachers, a lot of posters thinking things will go back to how it was before reference border out/ins.

To me anyway, common sense (rolleyes.gif ) would say the flexibility would be aimed towards people in the process of securing either non-B visas or work permits only and not a free rein for people continuing to work illegally.

Course, I could be very wrong with that.

• Like 1

Beechguy, Make it easier not the same as the other places...

Show a passport, enter country, done. Nothing else. The freer movement of people is a good thing.

They already have it, it's called a visa exempt entry, and applies to over 40 countries.

They should make things easier for foreigners to be there. Less red tape = more money getting spent there.

Somebody should tell them...

Well, considering people already have to pay to enter Viet Nam, Cambodia, Laos, and Myanmar, I don't know how much easier they need to make it.

for example, extend the Visa-free stay to 90 days...... as Malaysia does it and obviously does not have the slightest problem with that rule.....

Why would they? There have been times where they have waived the visa fee, and given them for free. But, if a person is spending hundreds, or thousands of dollars to get here, I don't see where a 1,000 Baht would be a big deterrent.

Although I'm not an English teacher, but I hope new regulations can be made.

I believe the Thai government feels the need for native English speakers.

But, based on the discussions it seems many English teacher's in language schools are working without work permits and working illegal.

The suggestion for more lenient policies imply the Thai government realizes this.

I assume most would prefer to work legal.

I know. A lot os assumptions.

Is the problem about regulations for language school (and smaller schools) to get teacher's work permits or are schools being lazy or cheap?

The other thing that was supposed to have changed, as of mid-August, was Immigration also was supposed to have begun requiring more documents proof for people arriving via airports with repeat visa-exempt entries. Things like, showing proof of 20K baht in cash, hotel reservations, travel itineraries, etc.

But amid the dozens of threads here on related subjects, I've lost track of whether there have been any clear reports of what's been happening with that at the airports -- whether it's really being enforced, and if so, under what circumstances.

Anyone know if there's a good thread on that subject that shines some light on just what's going on with that???

The other thing that was supposed to have changed, as of mid-August, was Immigration also was supposed to have begun requiring more documents proof for people arriving via airports with repeat visa-exempt entries. Things like, showing proof of 20K baht in cash, hotel reservations, travel itineraries, etc.

I cam into DMK 4 days ago after visiting Malyasia for 2 days. I was not asked for anything and was not checked for anything. I was granted a 30 day stay without question just like I have been for the last 20 years. (I did have the tickets and the 20K money ready to produce but was not asked for it)

But amid the dozens of threads here on related subjects, I've lost track of whether there have been any clear reports of what's been happening with that at the airports -- whether it's really being enforced, and if so, under what circumstances.

Anyone know if there's a good thread on that subject that shines some light on just what's going on with that???

I came into Don Mueang 3 days ago from Vietnam, where I'd been for almost 3 weeks. I had a new double entry tourist visa, acquired in Hanoi; I also have a fair number of old tourist visas in my passport from over the last 2 years. They didn't ask to see money or a travel itinerary or anything; but they didn't want to accept my new visa, based soley on my visa history. After a bit of discussion and the calling in of a second immigration officer, they stamped me in on the new visa.

I've been wondering if this is going on a lot, or if my experience was anomalous.

I've been in BKK for a decade, and it generally works like this...An announcement regarding visas is made, and the Thai Visa community melts down. There are hundreds of posts detailing why "he" shouldn't be included, that the economy will suffer, that the end is nigh, and that it's time to move to elsewhere. Within a month, the frenzy passes, and the people who are directly affected learn how to cope. The indirectly affected will continue to post for a couple more months, and then things return to relative normalcy.

I've been in BKK for a decade, and it generally works like this...An announcement regarding visas is made, and the Thai Visa community melts down. There are hundreds of posts detailing why "he" shouldn't be included, that the economy will suffer, that the end is nigh, and that it's time to move to elsewhere. Within a month, the frenzy passes, and the people who are directly affected learn how to cope. The indirectly affected will continue to post for a couple more months, and then things return to relative normalcy.

Agree, just "within a month" seems to be a bit longer this time.

Thanks for the info!!! Did you have a recent pattern of prior repeat 30-day visa-exempt entries???

No, none, I do have a passport full of previous Non O's and tourist visas though but no previous 30 day entries.

Thanks for clarifying that... Without any recent history of repeat visa exempt entries, you would NOT have been one of the people Immigration would have been looking to target.

Just a small update: I just come bad from a border run to Pailin. I'm on my 14th TR visa in a row and used today my 2nd entry.

In December i have to apply for a new TR visa. Therefor i will go to Vientiane.

No problems at all.

Edit: I did never a visa exempt border crossing and never overstay.

Edited by alocacoc

From what I read, it seems people can apply for many back to back tourist visas requiring an overnight stay.

The only problem us multiple visa exempt border runs done in one day.

Correct?

Has anybody had problems entering with proper tourist visa?

Anybody getting denied for a tourist visa?

From what I read, it seems people can apply for many back to back tourist visas requiring an overnight stay.

The only problem us multiple visa exempt border runs done in one day.

Correct?

Has anybody had problems entering with proper tourist visa?

Anybody getting denied for a tourist visa?

What's then with multiple tourist visas? Do they require an overnight as well. I guess this question wasn't answered yet. Was it even raised?

There is no rule or regulation that requires a over night stay to use another entry for any type of visa.

The only reports of any problems using another entry was at a border crossing in the south.

In/out "visa runs" to get a new visa exempt entry after spending the entire 30 days on one are restricted.

Although I'm not an English teacher, but I hope new regulations can be made.

I believe the Thai government feels the need for native English speakers.

But, based on the discussions it seems many English teacher's in language schools are working without work permits and working illegal.

The suggestion for more lenient policies imply the Thai government realizes this.

I assume most would prefer to work legal.

I know. A lot os assumptions.

Is the problem about regulations for language school (and smaller schools) to get teacher's work permits or are schools being lazy or cheap?

Very good questions and assumptions.

The problems are this -

1) Many language schools only require part-time teachers (many schools are dead Monday to Friday, so only need teachers for the odd evening and weekends) and there aren't any work permits (that I know of) that issue visas and WPs for part time work.

2) It costs a lot of money for the school to get the work permit and visa. Some law firms and visa agents charge around 30-40k. So, they get afraid the teacher will run off or will be no good.

3) Some teachers leave or are unreliable or leave for better pay/work. This isn't about if you have a degree or not, as many times the ones without the degree are more likely to stay around as they need the security of a job.

4) Some good and/or popular teachers that are liked by the school don't have a degree and the school doesn't want to lose the teacher. So they know the only way to keep them on is illegally.

As many in the profession say, someone needs to give the MOE and labour department a good talking to as their requirements are making it hard for the legal process. Get in a good way to monitor, screen and test the teaching ability and experience of a teacher and then everybody wins. The ones who are anti this, argue that there aren't the resources to do this; however, with the extra tax coming from people who turn legal, will more than compensate for this. It's about finding solutions, not going over and over previous dead end arguments.

Previous post I was referring to the application process of a tourist visa requires apply one day, stay over night, and collect visa next day.

I haven't heard about limits on number of back-to-back tourist visas. Just about back to back visa exempt.

I believe language school teacher have a vital role.

People are blaming language school for not issuing visas but they may not be able to unless they can provide enough hours.

I can understand Thailand not providing visas for part time work.

Teachers might work one Saturday a week for a work permit for a year.

Working visas are stamped in passport.

Maybe harder to be transient If there was a record on your passport of employment.

Maybe too many language schools. If fewer schools and more classes at one school then maybe enough hours to get work permit.

But then who decides which schools should clise.

I think they are being a bit silly with the visa rules now as a result of course of them being so slack before they have now gone the other way.

A good friend of mine was hassled in Phuket about why he had so many entries to Thailand and they didn't want to let him in. He has probably been in and out of Thailand 6 times in the last ten months but he is retired and has a girlfriend in Phuket and he lives in Perth so it is no big deal for him to come and go as it is a relatively short flight.

He was saying he was treated like a criminal interrogated about whether he was working in Thailand and why he came so often and how did he get his money.

If they are going to adopt a random policy of enforcing visa exempt stamps they are really going to start pissing off a lot of people.