New Road between Chiang Mai and Lamphun.

DavidOxon

Hi

My neighbour has just informed me that there's a new road going through, and our houses will have to be demolished to make way for it! (Along with Wang Tan Restaurant!) Does anyone know where the website is with the proposed route on it? I can't find it using google (maybe it's a Thai only site)

david

The owner of a shop in that stunning countryside told me two month ago that they had already had all the local meetings to let those know who would be affected.

Must admit I thought there must be something lost in translation and she couldn't possibly mean a new road.

Her reason was so that lamphun residents could get to the airport.

......and that's why I thought it was a joke.

Currently there is:

• Route 11.
  • The road along the railway lines.
  • A difficult cut across to the Hang Dong road.

I thought an upgrade of the railway line route, with two lanes either side all the way to Lamphun set up as a dual carriageway, would be a good cheap upgrade. Also dual tracking of the railway line - the land space is there.

The numerous intersections along the 11 need to be sorted, they're death traps. A few bridges and/or underpasses would go a long way to sorting things out.

The new route looks like it would serve not only Lamphun, but residents close to the river heading north who are all too reliant on the road along the river which is only going to get slower.

My wife told me they'd already started building near her cousin's house, but I have no idea where he lives (somewhere Lamphun end).

hmm...the wife says this is all part of the proposed road that will go from Mae Rim area, cross 118 highway (near where doi saket is), and circle around down to the new airport proposed for San Kamphaeng, then continue on down toward Lamphun. There has been a lot of speculative land buying out that way, with land prices going up and actually a fair number of transactions happening... and that was the local explanation for it... but then... TIT and could be local smoke going up merely to inflate prices and then nothing happens... and whatever did happen to the San Kampheng movie studios venture....???

• Like 1

hmm...the wife says this is all part of the proposed road that will go from Mae Rim area, cross 118 highway (near where doi saket is), and circle around down to the new airport proposed for San Kamphaeng, then continue on down toward Lamphun.

That doesn't follow the map on the website listed above, which shows the road heading north-west out of Lamphun, crossing the river in Saraphi and ending at Mahidol Road just East of Airport Plaza.

Currently there is:

• Route 11.
  • The road along the railway lines.
  • A difficult cut across to the Hang Dong road.

I thought an upgrade of the railway line route, with two lanes either side all the way to Lamphun set up as a dual carriageway, would be a good cheap upgrade. Also dual tracking of the railway line - the land space is there.

The numerous intersections along the 11 need to be sorted, they're death traps. A few bridges and/or underpasses would go a long way to sorting things out.

The new route looks like it would serve not only Lamphun, but residents close to the river heading north who are all too reliant on the road along the river which is only going to get slower.

My wife told me they'd already started building near her cousin's house, but I have no idea where he lives (somewhere Lamphun end).

No construction has commenced yet. Long way to go before land & house acquisition even starts ... budgeted funding for starters.

Surveyors have been working on all affected arterial and minor roads so one would assume initial route planning is progressing toward design stage.

I agree with your ideas re #11 upgrade and railway route. In addition,all connecting/cross roads eg: #12 could be upgraded to carry more volume.

Checked with the wife, in addition to the route above, they've already started on a spur off the proposed route on the website above, song to the west of Lamphun near the hospital. As Kaptainrob says, no work on the road above yet. 4 lanes apparently.

hmm...the wife says this is all part of the proposed road that will go from Mae Rim area, cross 118 highway (near where doi saket is), and circle around down to the new airport proposed for San Kamphaeng, then continue on down toward Lamphun. There has been a lot of speculative land buying out that way, with land prices going up and actually a fair number of transactions happening... and that was the local explanation for it... but then... TIT and could be local smoke going up merely to inflate prices and then nothing happens... and whatever did happen to the San Kampheng movie studios venture....???

Dislike mentioning politics. But with the new government is the new air port still on the drawing boards.wai.gif

Dislike mentioning politics. But with the new government is the new air port still on the drawing boards.wai.gif

If decent compensation is paid, I hope so, & I hope our home is in the middle of the runway thumbsup.gif

In Thailand how does compensation work in these cases?

Compulsory acquisition by Government should work as per this fact sheet: http://www.fao.org/3/a-i0506e/

This being Thailand, individual owners may not have the same rights to compensation as many other countries, however it should work something like this (below) ... a good subject for TV's 'ask a lawyer' ... ?

PROCEDURES FOR VALUATION AND COMPENSATION

During the valuation phase, the acquiring agency and the people whose land is being
acquired gather information and evidence to support their arguments for the
compensation values they believe to be equitable. This work is triggered by the notice
of intention to compulsorily acquire land. The notice of intention should set a deadline
by which each affected owner or occupant submits a claim for compensation.
Responsibility for the valuation of land varies from one country to another. In
some countries the work is done by or for the acquiring agency while in other
countries the valuations are the responsibility of independent commissions.
The notice of intention should set a deadline by which each affected owner or
occupant submits a claim for compensation. At some point after notice has
been given, the project’s valuers must enter the land to inspect it and all
improvements in order to determine their value. Owners and occupants should
hire their own valuers, or find other ways to determine the value of their land.
In some countries, the acquiring agency makes an offer; if this offer is not
accepted by the owner or occupant, the acquiring agency makes an official
determination of compensation which can be appealed only in court or to a
quasi-judicial body such as a tribunal (see chapter 5). In other countries, the
acquiring agency is required to first negotiate in good faith ~ [more HERE]

According to the latest from the Airport Authority of Thailand , CNX will remain as Chiang Mai's only international airport for the next 20 years .Improvements will be done where the airport is now and will not be moved . I live on what was the proposed sight of the new airport so I have been following the subject closely. With the new airport plans shelved , I can't see why a Chiang Mai - Lamphun road would be built this far out of the city .

According to the latest from the Airport Authority of Thailand , CNX will remain as Chiang Mai's only international airport for the next 20 years .Improvements will be done where the airport is now and will not be moved . I live on what was the proposed sight of the new airport so I have been following the subject closely. With the new airport plans shelved , I can't see why a Chiang Mai - Lamphun road would be built this far out of the city .

That may well change again before that depending on who gets in to power should there actually be the promised elections.

Over the 6 years we have been here in CM rumoured re location of the airport has swung from San Pa tong to Sankamphaeng .I guess if it ever does move it will depend on who benefits most.

I have had cause to drive past the airport twice over the last week and was amazed that the car park was totally full and this is low season.I guess most of the vehicles were there to either drop off or pick up but its at capacity now.

If the airport is going to stay at its present location and with the increased flights to Burma,China etc and the stated vision to make CM a major hub there are going to have to be some major changes.

I really can't see how the airport could stay at its present location for another 20 years

The road is proposed to head north west out of Lamphun, arriving at Mahidol road west of the river. Nothing to do with San Kamphaeng!

Will offer relief to the San Patong - Chiang Mai congestion as well.

The spur I mentined above will continue south to Baan Hong, bypassing Pa Sang. The 108 through Li is marked for dual carriageway in the future to Thoen, offering a viable shorter route to the south. No idea how they expect ti build a 4 lane highway down the mountain between Li and Thoen though.

Over the 6 years we have been here in CM rumoured re location of the airport has swung from San Pa tong to Sankamphaeng .I guess if it ever does move it will depend on who benefits most.

I have had cause to drive past the airport twice over the last week and was amazed that the car park was totally full and this is low season.I guess most of the vehicles were there to either drop off or pick up but its at capacity now.

If the airport is going to stay at its present location and with the increased flights to Burma,China etc and the stated vision to make CM a major hub there are going to have to be some major changes.

I really can't see how the airport could stay at its present location for another 20 years

A multistorey car park is needed for now. I would imagine there's plenty of room for expansion of current terminal building. No need for extra runway.

As for the road from Lamphun, that looks like land speculation & back handers. Just need a link from Lamphun to outer ring road (widen that) & then you're onto Hangdong road.

• 6 months later...