Linux Certified Sysadmin

Cloggie

Interesting, I'll check this out. I've been working with unix and later linux for over 20 years now.

I have no certificates or anything, I just picked it up as I went along.

Edit : Having looked over the list of Linux Certified Sysadmin knowledge requirements it only appears to cover the basics and you need a 65% score to pass.

My conclusion : It's not going to be hard and if you've worked with servers for a while you could probably pass this with zero study.

Looks to me like it's all about the $300 fee.

Edited by ukrules

I have similar background as ukrules. Working with unix/linux for couple of decades and not really have the certs, except for some specific courses I took while working for large company.

That Linux foundation certification could be useful if a company without prior Linux knowledge wishes to hire linux system manager.

Otherwise they might just put you to a test. That's what I would do. Break down a cloud server, give access to the applicant and ask the applicant to find and solve the problems.

Funny so many Linux guys here. I have about the same background. Starting to get certifications the last few years because my employer, a Unix contracting agency, likes them. I have a RHCE certification, but I really needed the fast track course to pass the exam. The RHCSA part is easier but you will need a lot of experience to pass it with self study. RedHat exams are really expensive and most of the time paid by employers.

My employer likes also the LPI certifications. I did not try those yet. They are a lot cheaper.

I did not know of the Linux Foundation certification. If you intend to do a certification to get a future job do some research first which certifications a future employer values. Keep in mind that for Unix/Linux jobs experience is still more valued as certifications, so with a certification but zero experience still it will be hard to get hired. Most certifications are done on the job not to get a job.

Most Unix guys did learn on the job or university without any specific training but with self study and a lot of try and error.

• Like 2

Thanks guys for sharing your comments - just like Paul944 said, most Unix guy I know as well just learned it on the job with self study and a lot of try and error :-)

Will have a look at the requirements and see if I can pass the test or not.