Good & Bad Coming back to Phuket from Holiday in Canada Immigration Wise

McFarang

Two things Air Canada Check In in Calgary would not let me board the plane as I did not have a valid Visa even though I said I would get one on arrival (I am a Scot UK Passport) Showed all sorts of ID Bank Cards Driving Licence etc etc and I arrived on a Ticket from Phuket but they would not budge. Luckily I had a copy of my Ticket out of Phuket on Sept 4th to head back to work in Myanmar on my Laptop. This was accepted but only just.

10 years of living and working out of Phuket never had this problem in a Western Country on returning.

Now the good news on arrival last night from Incheon Immigration smiled and gave me a Visa on arrival from Aug 28th until Nov 25th thank you Immigration not that i need it but a move for the better is this a new thing or have they made a mistake?

Edited by McFarang

Over the years I have been refused check-in for not having a pre-arranged visa or return ticket. Once at Singapore and once at Seoul. I just bought a ticket from Phuket to Singapore full fare on my credit card and had the fare refunded later on. It's just hit or miss and many times this was overlooked.

So, are you saying you were issued a 3 month stamp at the desk ? Never heard of that before. Maybe something new ?

You made the mistake.

Official entry requirements for Thailand, enforced by airlines since they are responsible: either a visa or an airticket out of the country with a departure within 30 days.

Regarding the 3 months you received (not a visa on arrival BTW, that is something different): could be a mistake based on old visa in your passport?

Edited by stevenl

You made the mistake.

Official entry requirements for Thailand, enforced by airlines since they are responsible: either a visa or an airticket out of the country with a departure within 30 days.

Regarding the 3 months you received (not a visa on arrival BTW, that is something different): could be a mistake based on old visa in your passport?

I think you are right it must be a mistake as I had a recent Retirement Visa with Multiple Entry & Exit that I let lapse as I am back at work.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

At every airport in Australia, if you don't have a visa, you have to show your confirmed flight out. It has been like that for at least ten years now.

Have been asked occasionally when flying from Singapore and KL, but, not often.

I've never had that happen from Oz , SGP or KL myself.

I always fly round trip from Thailand, so I always have to keep my non immigrant visa up to date. Never a problem. I thought I just read an article that some countries will now get a 60 visa exemption upon entry. I can't find the local article now, but I found this one: http://www.ttgasia.com/article.php?article_id=23715

I always fly round trip from Thailand, so I always have to keep my non immigrant visa up to date. Never a problem. I thought I just read an article that some countries will now get a 60 visa exemption upon entry. I can't find the local article now, but I found this one: http://www.ttgasia.com/article.php?article_id=23715

From today onwards a visa exempt entry can be extended for a further 30 days, which used to be 7 days.

Immigration smiled and gave me a Visa on arrival from Aug 28th until Nov 25th

Don't understand how you got 90 days if you didn't have a visa. From the UK you're not eligible for a visa on arrival, but a 30 day visa exempt entry, which now can be extended for 30 days, but how did you get 90 days at the airport?

Immigration smiled and gave me a Visa on arrival from Aug 28th until Nov 25th

Don't understand how you got 90 days if you didn't have a visa. From the UK you're not eligible for a visa on arrival, but a 30 day visa exempt entry, which now can be extended for 30 days, but how did you get 90 days at the airport?

Read his post #6