Sciatic Nerve Pain

Jessi

I have suffered with this for many years but it seems to be getting worse now.

I have tried many things, Massage, Chiropractors, Doctors in Australia & Thailand but no cure.

This seems to be a very common problem and I would like to know what other sufferers have tried and have they had any good results.

So please share your experience with me so I can find an answer to this severe pain.

Many thanks.wai.gif

You need to get the cause properly evaluated. If you have had it for years it is possible there is compression on the nerve root leaving the spine due to degenerative changes. If so, and surgery may be necessary to create enough space for the nerve.

I recommend you consult Dr. Wicharn at the BNH Hospital spine center.

Years ago my father had that problem, he tried everything and nothing worked, he finally decided on surgery, but he was over 80, and we didn't want him to have major surgery. He went to an osteopath and he stretched my father's spine, after one treatment my father felt great and was walking upright again, after three he didn't need anymore and never had the problem again.

Years ago my father had that problem, he tried everything and nothing worked, he finally decided on surgery, but he was over 80, and we didn't want him to have major surgery. He went to an osteopath and he stretched my father's spine, after one treatment my father felt great and was walking upright again, after three he didn't need anymore and never had the problem again.

Thank you George,wai.gif I have never tried that so I will put in on my list, I dont really want surgery.

Any Osteopaths in Thailand?

You need to get the cause properly evaluated. If you have had it for years it is possible there is compression on the nerve root leaving the spine due to degenerative changes. If so, and surgery may be necessary to create enough space for the nerve.

Thank you for your advice Sheryl,wai.gif the last Doctor I saw about 1 month ago, did the x ray and just gave me some pills called GABAPENTIN GPO 300mg. They do seem to ease the pain a bit but make me very sleepy.

What is BNH hospital?

I just had my first experience on Monday. Sure is painful.

Doctor prescribed Apo-Naproxen as an anti inflammatory, and Pma-Cyclobenzaprine for pain.

Pain lessened after 4 days, but still there.

Will be investigating Osteopath on arrival back home.

And looking to see Sheryl's answer to BNH Hospital. Maybe I will get lucky, and it is in CNX

Good luck to you.

I seem to be able to keep my sciatica in check by trying to keep my daily intake of magnesium sufficient. I have learned that peanuts, cashews, almonds as well as beans and all green leafy vegetables contain good amounts of magnesium. Also bananas, apples, raisins, halibuts, carrots, and avocados are magnesium rich foods. Don't overlook magnesium, it's been referred to as the "magic mineral". Try to avoid the salty nuts, i know, i know, they don't taste as good but we gotta keep an eye on the hypertension numbers as well.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Inversion Therapy helps, but many days I have to take strong pain meds which may derail my retirement plans to the LOS unless I can get my Sciatica issues resolved in the next few years as I hear most doctors are not licensed to prescribed such meds and wouldn't even if they could.

Every case will be different but when I got sciatica years ago a painful injection of cortisone worked wonders. I was told to treat as fast as possible, the longer you wait, the more difficult it becomes to heal.

I had a serious prolapsed disc that caused severe sciatica over a 5 year period. The only relief I found was maintaining stretching exercises on my leg and back. Not sure what the medical explanation was, but I'm assuming that stretched the nerve over the bulge and reduced the pressure that causes the sciatica.

Had relapses over the years, tried meds that were no use, and chiropractors and physiotherapists actually made it worse. The only thing that helped was/is plenty of exercise to maintain flexibility, keep the weight under control, and if it does relapse then I double the exercise to work through the pain threshold and it soon gets under control.

The worst thing I can do is sit still feeling sorry for myself - I find that lethargy just makes it worse.

Thank you for your advice Sheryl,wai.gif the last Doctor I saw about 1 month ago, did the x ray and just gave me some pills called GABAPENTIN GPO 300mg. They do seem to ease the pain a bit but make me very sleepy.

What is BNH hospital?

http://www.bnhhospital.com/en/medical_services/detail/Spine-Centre

It is important to note that not all "sciatica" is the same. It can have many causes. When caused by a herniated disc it will usually resolve with conservative management (medications, physical therapy etc), but a herniated disk does not last for years. It is the fact that you report having had this problem for years that I suspect you might need surgery.

There is a huge difference between 1) a doctor 2) an orthopedic doctor and 3) an ortho specifically specializing in spinal problems. I have full confidence in Dr. Wicharn, who completed 3 different fellowships in the US, and he is the best in Thailand. He will not recommend surgery if not indicated.

You will probably need an MRI. If you want to save on the cost, go here first to have it done (you do not need contrast media, ask for MRI lumbar spine no contrast) http://www.mrithailand.com/index.php?lang=en

Then bring your Xray and the MRI film to Dr,. Wicharn

If you prefer, can do the MRI at BNH on same day as consultation but it will cost you maybe 5K more (baht).

­My husband has a spinal canal stenosis and degeneration of L4/5 discs. He has done it all, x-rays, an MRI, physiotherapists, chiropractors, exercises, stretching with an inversion table. He’s seen 4 doctors specializing in back and spine problems in the last 5 months: one in Europe, 3 here in Thailand: Bumrungrad, BNH and Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.

Dr. Wicharn in BNH was great, explained everything clearly. The outcome is that eventually he will need a lumbar spinal fusion surgery (the disc degeneration is so far gone that he is not a candidate for the more advanced ADR, artificial disc replacement). Dr. Wicharn’s consultation fee was 1000 baht.

He has been in constant pain now for over 6 months so he decided to give one more try for pain management before resorting to pain killers. Two weeks ago he had 9 cortisone injections done in Bangkok Pattaya Hospital in case he has an inflammation in the back. Two days after the injections the pain went away completely and stayed like that for about week, it was amazing to see the change in his energy levels and mood. Then, the pain came back. I suppose there is nothing else left to do than to start considering surgery.

­My husband has a spinal canal stenosis and degeneration of L4/5 discs. He has done it all, x-rays, an MRI, physiotherapists, chiropractors, exercises, stretching with an inversion table. He’s seen 4 doctors specializing in back and spine problems in the last 5 months: one in Europe, 3 here in Thailand: Bumrungrad, BNH and Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.

Dr. Wicharn in BNH was great, explained everything clearly. The outcome is that eventually he will need a lumbar spinal fusion surgery (the disc degeneration is so far gone that he is not a candidate for the more advanced ADR, artificial disc replacement). Dr. Wicharn’s consultation fee was 1000 baht.

He has been in constant pain now for over 6 months so he decided to give one more try for pain management before resorting to pain killers. Two weeks ago he had 9 cortisone injections done in Bangkok Pattaya Hospital in case he has an inflammation in the back. Two days after the injections the pain went away completely and stayed like that for about week, it was amazing to see the change in his energy levels and mood. Then, the pain came back. I suppose there is nothing else left to do than to start considering surgery.

Yes. Steroid injections even if they help are a stop gap measure and have adverse long term effects on bone and muscle.

If the stenosis is such that the nerve is compressed exiting the spinal column then no amount of physical therapy or anything else will help much. It is a mechanical problem and requires surgery.

People I have seen go through this surgery notice the improvement before they are even out of the recovery room. And Dr. Wicharn is an excellent surgeon.

BTW if you are uninsured he also has privileges at Bangkok Christian Hospital and is there once a week, surgery done there will cost a bit less than at BNH.

I just had my first experience on Monday. Sure is painful.

Doctor prescribed Apo-Naproxen as an anti inflammatory, and Pma-Cyclobenzaprine for pain.

Pain lessened after 4 days, but still there.

Will be investigating Osteopath on arrival back home.

And looking to see Sheryl's answer to BNH Hospital. Maybe I will get lucky, and it is in CNX

Good luck to you.

I can not take anti inflammatory tablets because of Heart meds I take. Thank you for your reply and I hope you can find some pain relief.

I seem to be able to keep my sciatica in check by trying to keep my daily intake of magnesium sufficient. I have learned that peanuts, cashews, almonds as well as beans and all green leafy vegetables contain good amounts of magnesium. Also bananas, apples, raisins, halibuts, carrots, and avocados are magnesium rich foods. Don't overlook magnesium, it's been referred to as the "magic mineral". Try to avoid the salty nuts, i know, i know, they don't taste as good but we gotta keep an eye on the hypertension numbers as well.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

A friend told me about Magnesium tablets, so I have been taking them for 3 months BUT they have made no difference at all.

I have been taking Potassium tablets and that has stopped the cramps in my legs & Feet.

Thank you for your reply.

I had a serious prolapsed disc that caused severe sciatica over a 5 year period. The only relief I found was maintaining stretching exercises on my leg and back. Not sure what the medical explanation was, but I'm assuming that stretched the nerve over the bulge and reduced the pressure that causes the sciatica.

Had relapses over the years, tried meds that were no use, and chiropractors and physiotherapists actually made it worse. The only thing that helped was/is plenty of exercise to maintain flexibility, keep the weight under control, and if it does relapse then I double the exercise to work through the pain threshold and it soon gets under control.

The worst thing I can do is sit still feeling sorry for myself - I find that lethargy just makes it worse.

Very good advice, I love walking but lately the pain has been so bad its just not possible, a few weeks ago the wife put me in a wheel chair so I could go shopping in Tesco.

If I can ease the pain off I will get back into walking.

Thanks for your help.

Thank you very much for your post & to see you understand your husbands pain, It zaps all of my energy and makes me get very angry, I guess with myself but then take it out on other people.

Did the inversion table help his problem at all?

Thank you & Take care.

Yes. Steroid injections even if they help are a stop gap measure and have adverse long term effects on bone and muscle.

If the stenosis is such that the nerve is compressed exiting the spinal column then no amount of physical therapy or anything else will help much. It is a mechanical problem and requires surgery.

People I have seen go through this surgery notice the improvement before they are even out of the recovery room. And Dr. Wicharn is an excellent surgeon.

BTW if you are uninsured he also has privileges at Bangkok Christian Hospital and is there once a week, surgery done there will cost a bit less than at BNH.

Thank you once again Sheryl.

I dont have insurance and I dont have a million B to spend on surgery, so I must look for other options.

I had a pinched nerve causing great pain in my leg 2 months ago. I took Sheryl's advice and saw the same Dr. Wicharn she recommended to you at BNH. He recommended a nerve function test which revealed a diagnosis of Meralgia Paresthetica. I was perscribed Lyrica, an anti-seizure medication which seemed to calm the affected nerve. My condition resolved after a month of treatment.

All in, about B20,000. BNH is a very well run and accommodating hospital but in no way cheap. Dr Wicharn as well as Dr. Krisna who administered the nerve testing both trained in the USA and communicate very well and answer questions willingly.

Yes, as Sheryl said, my husband’s condition is mechanical, exercise or manipulation will not fix his back. Surgery seems the only way to go from here.

His last doctor said not to do any exercise that hurts - but hey, he is in pain all the time so what’s there to lose? To just keep going and active, he is doing aerobic exercise on cross trainer in the mornings (first 10 minutes are painful but then it subsides), he’s doing the McKenzie exercise as well.

The inversion table seemed to help somewhat in the first 1-2 months but not anymore. He hasn’t been using it for a couple of months but is thinking of starting again, as well as training core muscles and doing some weight lifting.

There is an interesting discussion around magnesium easing back pain. He is taking 600 mg in tablet form daily and is now looking for magnesium oil – does anyone know where to source magnesium as oil in Thailand?

What is BNH hospital?

I was miserable with degenerative disc pain. In the last few days I am pain free for the first time in months taking Gabapentin.

You have to get the dosage right. I am currently taking 1800mg. That's two 300mg pills three times a day. Yes you're going to feel spacy and weird for the first couple of weeks, but believe me it's worth it to be pain free. I can't recommend Gaba highly enough. It's narcotic free and available over the counter. I just bought a box of 10 x 10 for 1100 baht but I will probably get it cheaper at the wholesale place.

When you do some research on this you'll find some people dosed at 3600mg per day. Increase your dosage gradually over a week.

By the way when I went to a Thai Dr. He dosed me at one a day at bedtime, a completely wrong dosage.

Gaba works.

I have been diagnosed with a grade I spondylolisthesis (slipped disc). I have sciatic pain in my left hamstring and buttock while walking, but most annoying is being woken up from the pain after sleeping for about four hours.

I went to see an orthopedic surgeon and he prescribed Neurontin (Gabapentin), but after reading this warning from Medscape I decided not to take it. It reads:

"Antiepileptic drugs increase risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior in patients taking these drugs for any indication; monitor for emergence or worsening depression, suicidal thoughts or behavior, and/or any unusual changes in mood or behavior"

http://reference.medscape.com/drug/neurontin-gralise-gabapentin-343011#5

This warning also applies to Lyrica, since it is an anticonvulsant medication.

I now take just one 500mg Tylenol when I am awoken by the pain. It doesn't eliminate the pain but it does lessen it, enabling me to go back to sleep.

I plan to see a chiropractor to see if I can get get some relief.

Thank you once again Sheryl.

I dont have insurance and I dont have a million B to spend on surgery, so I must look for other options.

Cost is nowhere near 1 million.

About 250-275K at Bkk Christian.

But if I understand correctly you don't yet know that you need surgery.