I wonder how much ThaiVisa contributes to negative vibes between Thais and farangs

RikDao

"I didn't say anything about your age. If you choose to make it a contest between youthful inexperience and mature wisdom it's OK with me."

How about rephrasing that into "youthful seeing the world as it is, open to new observations" and "mature: set in one's ways and committed to a worldview and disparaging to views that threaten it".

Back to the OP. There may be Thai bashing, I havent seen it too much and will call it out of I do. But this is an expat forum and we feel more free to criticize negative aspects of the chosen country than we do in person. I think a self critical local would find many of the same flaws and agree. For instance, a friend who is Thai American, spent half his life in US and half in Issan, is well engrained in both countries, has said pretty disparaging things about locals here: he said he literally has no true friends as people constantly lie and backbite. I will criticize things that deserve it (the lying and cheating for one) but I would not go that far as I know a few who at least a few who seem to be genuine. Then again, genuine friends are hard to come by anywhere.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The ones who can read and understand English well enough? They are well aware of the general stupidity and laziness.

Speak to any decent Thai business owner and his words would not be much different to foreigner business owner.

Everybody including well educated Thai are aware of the problems, but little to nothing can be done to rectify it.

Why?

Because if manger of the company accepts the complaint and takes actions against staff involved , he/ she simply would not show up to work the next day and manager or owner is stuck doing their work.

The next one they hire , would not be any different .

The stupid driving and lack of knowledge is no different and again everybody knows it

Edited by konying

"I didn't say anything about your age. If you choose to make it a contest between youthful inexperience and mature wisdom it's OK with me."

How about rephrasing that into "youthful seeing the world as it is, open to new observations" and "mature: set in one's ways and committed to a worldview and disparaging to views that threaten it".

Back to the OP. There may be Thai bashing, I havent seen it too much and will call it out of I do. But this is an expat forum and we feel more free to criticize negative aspects of the chosen country than we do in person. I think a self critical local would find many of the same flaws and agree. For instance, a friend who is Thai American, spent half his life in US and half in Issan, is well engrained in both countries, has said pretty disparaging things about locals here: he said he literally has no true friends as people constantly lie and backbite. I will criticize things that deserve it (the lying and cheating for one) but I would not go that far as I know a few who at least a few who seem to be genuine. Then again, genuine friends are hard to come by anywhere.

You wrote three posts designed to bring out the negatives in three areas of the Thai experience.

1. Have you ever had your life threatened in Thailand?

2. Ever noticed how things are completely reversed here?

3. Any advice for how to keep from getting "weird" as a Thai expat?

The above are not positive or neutral they are negative. I don't see anything wrong with that. Admit it you are trying to accentuate the negative.

The OP is, "how much ThaiVisa contributes to negative vibes between Thais and farangs?" In your case 75% of your posted topics contribute to a negative vibe.

My wife is a genuine University graduate,who spent 3 years studying! comes from a good family,although poor and has never worked in a Bar!if you choose not to believe the truth,will I get upset? of course not! I suspect this Poster has a good deal of anger he is hiding by his superior attitude!

I have respect for some of those who did not have the opportunities that my wife had,and had the burden of looking after the family,of which was not their first choice, so give them a chance of a new life,and a new beginning!

So what is your problem? did you find your true love from the Full Moon Bar? who ripped you off? Because you know it all from 1990,and left you as bitter as they come? Sorry you remain totally unconvincing!and 24 years in Thailand hasn't taught you much! especially in humanitarian studies! and thoughtfulness and sympathy for your fellow human beings!

have to agree with this, my wife came from an extremely poor family and was put through school/university by her aunty who was a school teacher. Back then they actually had to pass exams to get their qualifications, she went on to do further studies in Japan and now is manager of a large company. I honestly think those that come in here talking about sex and bar workers are pretty pathetic and have never been able to hold a converstion with any other female with intelligence other than a "bar" girl. Makes them feel good to use their own pathetic abilities at finding a good one to try to ridicule anyone that has a great wife and is far removed from their daily lives of crawling around a bar, these are the ones that come in here and bitch about everything because they are not capable of doing any better for themselves. Those of us that have great wives dont need to vent our spleens at everyone else due to our failings but we will come in here with genuine complaints, big difference.

I came to Thailand in 1968 and one of the happiest couples I've met was a GI and a ladyboy he met in a bar and married they now live in Wyoming on a ranch half as big as some European countries.

I've been ripped off by bar girls in Biloxi Mississippi and débutantes in Martha's Vineyard.

Ted Turner one of Americans handsomest richest and all around man's man lost his job, most of his money (7 billion) and guess what? Jane Fonda his wife divorced him; what a surprise laugh.png.

and your point is..... apart from the fact you have trouble understanding numbers, a decade is ten yet you say you came here in 1968 thats 46 years, a little more than over a decade ago but I suppose you didnt want to take off your shoes to enable yourself to go past 10,

ps, we are talking about Thailand, who gives a sh*t what happened in the US or how big your imagination is

You wrote, " I honestly think those that come in here talking about sex and bar workers are pretty pathetic and have never been able to hold a converstion with any other female with intelligence other than a "bar" girl." My point is; there are bar workers and bad people everywhere. Thailand does not have a monopoly on the species.

There a point in time when an adult should be held to adult standards of behavior? The constant name calling the ridicule of family and wives begins to make people normal people start to think everyone feels like he is whinging in a pub. I have observed that most of the offensive writing comes after the residents of Thailand are long gone to bed. It doesn't take a brain trust to figure out jealousy is the prime mover of TV poster at 3AM.

I find no reason why attacking a poster should be considered venting or letting off steam.

can be puzzling, at 3 am I would imagine the writer is probably well and truly p*ssed and venting his spleen. I know my thai wife quite often says to me exactly what I am thinking of about what one of the locals is doing but she doesnt like to say it to anyone else as it would cause "face" problems for her plus she doesnt like conflict. I think what makes it hard is the fact that many thias are still living in the old ways but in a modern world, they just havent realized that there are responsibilities that come with being an adult, just look at what they watch, everything on tv is extremely childish, I can honestly say I do not watch tv here due entirely to the pathetic programming. It is aimed at the mental age of children not adults but that is the way a lot of people think, responsibility is not taken seriously here where in the west it is. In turn I think this causes a lot of the bitching we see in here, I know I get peeved at what some locals do but also like what others do. It is only natural to vent it, people all over the world do it so why not here as well. It will never stop but I know thais give as good as they get, if they cant take the heat then they should get out of the kitchen, this is simply a part of life and everyone has to agree that there are good and bad in every country. The last thing anyone needs are apologists for either side trying to make the other side out as the baddies, just learn to accept and live with it.

TrueVisions has over a million subscribers in Thailand. History channel and Discovery Channel and teaching channels a full range of programming that is consumed by Thai people in Thailand. Most of the science shows are available in both Thai and English.

I doubt if the TV people would go to the trouble of dubbing them if no Thais watched. I have lived in Thailand for over a decade and have watched what Thai people watch on my TV. You aren't telling the truth. If you actually lived in Thailand you would know that many Thai people watch good TV.

You should not tell porkies about Thailand. The last thing anyone needs is Thai bashers trying to make Thais out as the baddies. Just learn to accept that there are many intelligent Thai people and learn to live with it. http://truevisionsgroup.truecorp.co.th/channellineup_web/platinumhd

If you read my post you would actually know that I do live in Thailand. I said thai tv not pay channels, totally different matter, I suggest you try understanding what you actually read and stop translating it into your own version of garbage. There are intelligent thai people, again I never said there wasnt but again you deliberately misinterpret what I wrote just so you can have a whinge, mate, you are totally pathetic and obviously no where near as smart as some thais......

True Visions in Thailand is Thai TV. You wrote, " I can honestly say I do not watch tv here due entirely to the pathetic programming. It is aimed at the mental age of children not adults but that is the way a lot of people think, responsibility is not taken seriously here where in the west it is.."

I've never met a Farang who lived in Thailand who didn't have some kind of pay/cable TV; hence I don't think you live full time in Thailand.

You wrote, " I honestly think those that come in here talking about sex and bar workers are pretty pathetic and have never been able to hold a converstion with any other female with intelligence other than a "bar" girl." My point is; there are bar workers and bad people everywhere. Thailand does not have a monopoly on the species.

why do you automatically lump bar workers and bad people together?

The post I was responding to was, " I honestly think those that come in here talking about sex and bar workers are pretty pathetic and have never been able to hold a converstion with any other female with intelligence other than a "bar" girl."

I don't think bar workers are bad people or bad people are all bar workers. Perhaps I should have written that.

In my first couple of years here, when I was more likely to actually meet farang persons, I would routinely ask them if they spent any time on ThaiVisa.com. The routine answer was: ThaiVisa -- what's that?

So if so many farang persons don't know about it, I wonder why there would be any influence negative or otherwise among the general Thai population.

The post I was responding to was, " I honestly think those that come in here talking about sex and bar workers are pretty pathetic and have never been able to hold a converstion with any other female with intelligence other than a "bar" girl."

I don't think bar workers are bad people or bad people are all bar workers. Perhaps I should have written that.

or not used them in the same sentence

or not used them in the same sentence

Not really. My point is; there are bar workers and bad people everywhere. Thailand does not have a monopoly on the species. That's a true statement. If it offends you who cares? I was not referring to you. I was not making a negative statement about any people or culture or country. I think you are being pedantic.

I could have said there are bar workers everywhere and there are bad and good people everywhere. Who cares?

I doubt Thai Visa forum contributes much towards negative vibes between Thais and Farangs as I doubt there are many Thais reading the forum (although I could be wrong).

In my opinion, Thai Visa is an excellent resource for anyone living in or with an interest in Thailand.

In terms of finding out information, it's unbeatable.

Sure, there are some Thai bashers and negativity but this isn't exclusive to Thai Visa. It's the same on other internet forums I go on - it's easier for people to be negative, go on the attack and criticise. And of course, everyone on the internet is a expert, so it's not only Thai Visa in my experience. Have you ever read user comments on YouTube or Facebook? Negativity and talking trash is much worse there.

Overall I think people would be stuck without Thai Visa.

I learnt early on to stay out of the general forum - it's a frickin mad house!

• Like 1

Not really. My point is; there are bar workers and bad people everywhere. Thailand does not have a monopoly on the species. That's a true statement. If it offends you who cares? I was not referring to you. I was not making a negative statement about any people or culture or country. I think you are being pedantic.

I could have said there are bar workers everywhere and there are bad and good people everywhere. Who cares?

why would you even justify his comment about bar workers with a statement like that?. by doing so, you justified the bias and unconsciously showed you shared it.

And to add to my earlier post...

If people think Thai Visa is a place where people are only negative about Thailand, well surely this doesn't come from Thai Visa but rather from the people who post.

Maybe the negativity found on this forum is just reflective of the expat community in Thailand generally?

Maybe there are just too many miserable so and so's.

Not necessarily my opinion but just putting it out there...

If people think Thai Visa is a place where people are only negative about Thailand, well surely this doesn't come from Thai Visa but rather from the people who post.

Maybe the negativity found on this forum is just reflective of the expat community in Thailand generally?

you hit the nail on the head. and I'm sure they were just as whiny where they came from.

I get on well with the vast majority of Thais. It's the arrogant and whiny farangs I can't stand.

They march into this country, invent a fascinating backstory (former CEO, ex-Navy Seal, PhD, expert on Thai history, close buddies with lot of influential Thais) and start hating this country because the Thais won't treat them like VIP guests from wealthy farangland.

Go home.

• Like 2

why would you even justify his comment about bar workers with a statement like that?. by doing so, you justified the bias and unconsciously showed you shared it.

Your dislike of me is influencing your comprehension skills. I was replying to a post that painted a negative picture of sexpats, he wrote, "I honestly think those that come in here talking about sex and bar workers are pretty pathetic and have never been able to hold a converstion with any other female with intelligence other than a "bar" girl."

In that context the poster was painting both sex pats and bar girls as bad people. My point was there are bad people everywhere not just Thailand.

Simply put another poster was mocking what he perceived as bad people in Thailand. I said there are bad people everywhere.

In my experience it is mostly Thai Visa. The expats I meet in person are a happy group. I think many internet posters don't live here (check the posting times).

I doubt Thai Visa forum contributes much towards negative vibes between Thais and Farangs as I doubt there are many Thais reading the forum (although I could be wrong).

In my opinion, Thai Visa is an excellent resource for anyone living in or with an interest in Thailand.

Sure, there are some Thai bashers and negativity but this isn't exclusive to Thai Visa. It's the same on other internet forums I go on - it's easier for people to be negative, go on the attack and criticise. And of course, everyone on the internet is a expert, so it's not only Thai Visa in my experience. Have you ever read user comments on YouTube or Facebook? Negativity and talking trash is much worse there.

But you are posting in the General forum?

• Like 1

But you are posting in the General forum?

Yes, you're right, indeed this is a post in the General Forum but normally I stay away!

There is an anonymous internet forum, and then there is the real world. This place can make for depressing reading sometimes.....get off the computer, open your front door and step outside. The Thailand that a lot of people moan about on here, bears little resemblance to the Thailand that I live in. In over a decade of living here now the only real problem I have ever had with a Thai is one that I brought on myself. Sure there are annoyances, sure things sometimes take a long time to get done, there is still a fair bit of incompetence at many levels...including in government departments that can be frustrating. I went home to study for 3 years and it really put everything into perspective for me. The frustrations we feel here are to be found everywhere. I am happy here.....

And by the way, my Thai wife gets frustrated at the same things that I do living here.

• Like 2

Your dislike of me is influencing your comprehension skills. I was replying to a post that painted a negative picture of sexpats, he wrote, "I honestly think those that come in here talking about sex and bar workers are pretty pathetic and have never been able to hold a converstion with any other female with intelligence other than a "bar" girl."

In that context the poster was painting both sex pats and bar girls as bad people. My point was there are bad people everywhere not just Thailand.

Simply put another poster was mocking what he perceived as bad people in Thailand. I said there are bad people everywhere.

your unconscious biases are influencing your posts

TrueVisions has over a million subscribers in Thailand. History channel and Discovery Channel and teaching channels a full range of programming that is consumed by Thai people in Thailand. Most of the science shows are available in both Thai and English.

I doubt if the TV people would go to the trouble of dubbing them if no Thais watched. I have lived in Thailand for over a decade and have watched what Thai people watch on my TV. You aren't telling the truth. If you actually lived in Thailand you would know that many Thai people watch good TV.

You should not tell porkies about Thailand. The last thing anyone needs is Thai bashers trying to make Thais out as the baddies. Just learn to accept that there are many intelligent Thai people and learn to live with it. http://truevisionsgroup.truecorp.co.th/channellineup_web/platinumhd

If you read my post you would actually know that I do live in Thailand. I said thai tv not pay channels, totally different matter, I suggest you try understanding what you actually read and stop translating it into your own version of garbage. There are intelligent thai people, again I never said there wasnt but again you deliberately misinterpret what I wrote just so you can have a whinge, mate, you are totally pathetic and obviously no where near as smart as some thais......

True Visions in Thailand is Thai TV. You wrote, " I can honestly say I do not watch tv here due entirely to the pathetic programming. It is aimed at the mental age of children not adults but that is the way a lot of people think, responsibility is not taken seriously here where in the west it is.."

I've never met a Farang who lived in Thailand who didn't have some kind of pay/cable TV; hence I don't think you live full time in Thailand.

we do have cable tv downstairs and free to air tv upstairs(I never watch the crap on this), I watch neither if I can help it( I will watch documentaries on cable occasionally) but we were talking about thais watching tv not farangs hence what I said as a lot of thais cant afford to pay for cable tv and only watch free to air. If you are going to say something at least stick to the one story, True Visions is not free to air tv and therefore not the one most thais watch, as you said, mostly watched by farangs or thais that can afford it, ie, not the average people.

If you want to be an apologist for all the thais that do stuff up then at least stick with the truth and what has been said, stop changing it around to suit what you want it to say. Every country has its bad points, time you accepted Thailand does as well, doesnt mean they dont have good points but it does mean that they can stuff up badly just like everyone else.

I watch TV in Thailand on a big screen new Samsung TV. Great picture, great content (movies and the history channel and discovery and lots of sports). Great sound from good speakers and a wide variety of music channels both video and audio. All the houses on my street have a satellite mounted on their houses.

Another poster writes, " I can honestly say I do not watch tv here due entirely to the pathetic programming. It is aimed at the mental age of children not adults but that is the way a lot of people think, responsibility is not taken seriously here where in the west it is." (turns out not to be quite true as he admits he does watch documentaries and actually does have cable.)

The question I ask you dear readers do I deserve to be called a Thai apologist?

we do have cable tv downstairs and free to air tv upstairs(I never watch the crap on this), I watch neither if I can help it( I will watch documentaries on cable occasionally) but we were talking about thais watching tv not farangs hence what I said as a lot of thais cant afford to pay for cable tv and only watch free to air. If you are going to say something at least stick to the one story, True Visions is not free to air tv and therefore not the one most thais watch, as you said, mostly watched by farangs or thais that can afford it, ie, not the average people.

If you want to be an apologist for all the thais that do stuff up then at least stick with the truth and what has been said, stop changing it around to suit what you want it to say. Every country has its bad points, time you accepted Thailand does as well, doesnt mean they dont have good points but it does mean that they can stuff up badly just like everyone else.

You wrote, " at least stick with the truth and what has been said, stop changing it around to suit what you want it to say."

"I can honestly say I do not watch tv here due entirely to the pathetic programming. It is aimed at the mental age of children not adults but that is the way a lot of people think, responsibility is not taken seriously here where in the west it is."

"we do have cable tv downstairs and free to air tv upstairs(I never watch the crap on this), I watch neither if I can help it( I will watch documentaries on cable occasionally)"

First you said you don't now you say you do occasionally.

First you said, " responsibility is not taken seriously here where in the west it is." Now you say, "doesnt mean they dont have good points but it does mean that they can stuff up badly just like everyone else."

Don't you see the two different points of view above?

At first you were creating a totally negative vibe and later you tried to downplay the negative and sound more reasonable.

Edited by thailiketoo

I found this place when I was researching prior to moving to Thailand, but soon decided to stop reading it because the relentlessly negative tone was affecting my opinion of the place.

Now I know what Thailand is actually like, I can come back here and find the place amusing - because it bears virtually no relevance to the country I've chosen to live in.

If any Thai people read here, they probably find it funny too - these miserable, self-important, sex obsessed farangs are hilarious. I just hope they don't think we're all like that.

Well said.... My, my wife's, my wife's family, my friends, and my wife's friends sentiments exactly.

In my first couple of years here, when I was more likely to actually meet farang persons, I would routinely ask them if they spent any time on ThaiVisa.com. The routine answer was: ThaiVisa -- what's that?

So if so many farang persons don't know about it, I wonder why there would be any influence negative or otherwise among the general Thai population.

Der, duh: Facebook, Line, WeChat, etc, who knows how many Thai sites and forums, smart phones, email and the internet in general? Ummm, dunno when your "first couple of years here" was, but it's possible things have changed a tad, eh? What's more, if the "farang persons" you talk about were as quick-witted as some of the farangs on TV today, it's not surprising they hadn"t heard of it.

I haven't read all the replies to my OP, and probably won't, but it seems clear that, as usual, few farangs have a clue what Thais think about this subject, and possibly what they really think about anything else.

I watch TV in Thailand on a big screen new Samsung TV. Great picture, great content (movies and the history channel and discovery and lots of sports). Great sound from good speakers and a wide variety of music channels both video and audio. All the houses on my street have a satellite mounted on their houses.

Another poster writes, " I can honestly say I do not watch tv here due entirely to the pathetic programming. It is aimed at the mental age of children not adults but that is the way a lot of people think, responsibility is not taken seriously here where in the west it is." (turns out not to be quite true as he admits he does watch documentaries and actually does have cable.)

Sometimes you post sensible.

certainly not by me