On the apparent scarcity of the 50 baht bill

Every morning I grab a sammich and bottle of milk at 7-11 and the total is always 51 baht. I usually hand over a hundred and one, expecting to get a fifty back, but about 99% of the time, even though I can see fifties in the cash drawer, I get two twenties and a ten baht coin back as change. Also it appears, as far as I can tell from my vantage point, that there are only one or two fifties in the drawer compared to the huge pile of twenties.

What's up with the scarcity of the blue note? I'd like to have more since they'd come in handy (to pay my morning 7-11 bill, for one) but I never seem to get any as change. Are people hoarding them?

• Like 2

"Also it appears, as far as I can tell from my vantage point, that there are only one or two fifties in the drawer compared to the huge pile of twenties."

Well, that explains your change.

Try getting them at a bank. Hasn't ever been a problem for me.

There doesn't appear to be that many in circulation. I notice when counting up say 20,000 Baht in takings from my wife's shop there will be a huge pile of 20 Baht notes followed by 100's then 500's, maybe 10,000 in 1,000 Baht notes with maybe five or six 50 Baht notes.

I have noticed that I often end up with a wallet full of 20s and 100s but rarely see 50s.

Same here.

Also I hardly ever seem to get 500s usually just a wad of 100s and 20s in change

Edited for clarity

Edited by Likener1

Has there been any movements towards someday introducing some larger notes...like a 5000 or 10,000 baht note?

Buying anything very expensive sure does require a monster stack of 1000 baht notes.

Large value bills increase the reward to risk ratio for counterfeiting & they make money laundering or drug deals easier logistically.

Bank transfers or credit/debit cards etc ... especially in countries like the US or in Europe, but increasingly in this part of the world ... can be used for most large purchases or making payments for large scale business transactions. People who want to make large business transactions solely in cash often are trying to hide something by avoiding bank transactions or a paper trail.

In the US:

The Federal Reserve began taking high-denomination bills out of circulation in 1969, after an executive order by President Nixon (rather than actual legislation passed by Congress). As of May 30, 2009, only 336 $10,000 bills were known to exist; 342 remaining $5,000 bills; and 165,372 remaining $1,000 bills

When combined with concerns about counterfeiting and the use of cash in unlawful activities such as the illegal drug trade and money laundering, it is unlikely that the U.S. government will re-issue large denomination currency in the near future, despite the amount of inflation that has occurred since 1969

Edited by Suradit69

Even in the USA $50 bills are not that popular

Because carrying around those large bills is risky. Most United Statesians use debit or credit cards for purchases around $50-$100 or more.

It might be better to use the $5 bill as a comparison.

no issue with 50 euro notes but try paying with a 500 euro note. i really had trouble getting any shop or restaurant to accept one.

It would be interesting to know how you managed to get one in the last 4 years considering the reluctance of banks to issue them because of money laundering issues. You would need to give a bank a very good reason for wanting that denomination and even then you probably wouldn't get it.

These days I frequently have in my pocket more 50 baht notes than 20 baht ones. This is not by design ... it just happens during the day in the ordinary course of spending money on the same old stuff I've always spent money on.

Up until a year or two ago I'd have wholeheartedly agreed with the OP. However, in my experience, ever since the introduction of the new 50 baht note, the availability of 50 baht notes here in Pattaya has increased hugely.

I like the 50 baht note, especially for short taxi rides. I usually try to buy them by the bundle at my local bank and only half the time they have new bills.

My guess why they aren't used that much in daily transactions among vendors? 5 is an odd number even though 50 is an even number. Simple math is easier with even digits. Come on how many times have you seen sellers use a calculator for even the easiest transactions? Because it's habit. 20 are habits as well.

Always wondered that myself.

50s are good for tips in a hotel or bar. A 20 baht is just too little and has that "go and buy yourself some sweets vibe," whilst 100 is against my religion of orthodox tightarse.

So what's wrong with giving 40 or 60 in 20 baht notes?

• Like 1

These days I frequently have in my pocket more 50 baht notes than 20 baht ones. This is not by design ... it just happens during the day in the ordinary course of spending money on the same old stuff I've always spent money on.

Up until a year or two ago I'd have wholeheartedly agreed with the OP. However, in my experience, ever since the introduction of the new 50 baht note, the availability of 50 baht notes here in Pattaya has increased hugely.

More 50s than 20s? That's abe-surd.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Always wondered that myself.

50s are good for tips in a hotel or bar. A 20 baht is just too little and has that "go and buy yourself some sweets vibe," whilst 100 is against my religion of orthodox tightarse.

So what's wrong with giving 40 or 60 in 20 baht notes?

Nothing's wrong with it, but sometimes it's nice to be able to give cash in ten baht increments rather than twenty. So if something costs 50 baht, I can give (opens wallet) two twenties and (closes wallet, puts it in pocket, starts fishing though pants pocket) a ten baht coin, or (opens wallet) a fifty baht bill. And if I find no ten baht coin after all that fishing? Back into the wallet to pull out another twenty.

The same goes for getting change. I'd prefer to get my change as a single bill rather that two smaller bills and a coin that all have to be filed in different places on my person.