Visa run closest to Koh Samui?

Penang Malaysia - for VISA RUN -- not border run... If no direct air from Koh Samui ... you may have to take the ferry to Surat Thani ... if no air to Penang from Surat Thani -- then an overland van to Krabi (Krabi Town) Airport -- which has air connections to Penang...

Visa Run is to get a new Tourist Visa at a Thai Consulate or Embassy ... which one can find in Penang ... Border runs are different -- but depending on your Border Run history -- out and back in -- a new visa would likely be called for ...

1. Malaysia Airlines Flight 5463
    1. Scheduled - departs in 17 hours 7 mins
      USM
      PEN
      Departs Ko Samui,
      Saturday, August 30
      Time Terminal Gate 3:15 PM - -
      Arrives Penang,
      Saturday, August 30
      Time Terminal Gate 5:45 PM - -
    Showing airport times
  2. Samui Airport
    8 h 40 min
    In current traffic: 8 h 36 min
    Penang, Malaysia
    icon_directions_retina_23px_by_23px.png

590.7 km

Krabi to Penang are also indirect ... you could just check going to BKK and several other destinations ...

The total time from Koh Samui to Penang previous posted seems strange - check it closely at Koh Samui airport

I was actually going with a 3 entry tourist visa. Was trying to find the best way to go to lower costs on entry visas ( don't want to buy a 30 day visa to stay 1 day or less).

I only have a single tourist visa from May to July on my passport. That was the only time I have ever gone outside the US.

I intend to vacation in Koh Samui up until march, and then go to the Thongsook college in Bangkok, after applying for a ed visa. I signed up a lil while back and got my acceptance letter. I just have to pay.

I was actually going with a 3 entry tourist visa. Was trying to find the best way to go to lower costs on entry visas ( don't want to buy a 30 day visa to stay 1 day or less).

I only have a single tourist visa from May to July on my passport. That was the only time I have ever gone outside the US.

I intend to vacation in Koh Samui up until march, and then go to the Thongsook college in Bangkok, after applying for a ed visa. I signed up a lil while back and got my acceptance letter. I just have to pay.

Really I couldn't make much sense of your posting...

don't want to buy a 30 day visa to stay 1 day or less).

There are no 30 days tourist visa

tourist visa from May to July

July has passed since a month already !?!

vacation in Koh Samui up until march

For now to march '15 it's six months, seems like you need something more than a visa exempt entry.

Edited by paz

OP - Paz is correct ... you latest post is not congruent .. your situation - status - and what you wish to do - next... Bottom you are all over the map - not making a lot of sense...

Try -- posting your current visa or visa Exempt status, What is your fairly recent past of - out and in Thailand on border runs - if any?

Definitive details are necessary if you want some accurate recommendations,,,

When I said "don't want to buy a 30 day visa", I meant that I was looking for the cheapest option, a.k.a. exempt entry, rather than full price visa to another country. I could see where you would be confused by that part.

I said:

1. I will have a 3 entry tourist visa to thailand. I intend to use this until march for vacationing.

2. After doing that, I intend to get a ed visa. (this is a completely seperate matter from #1) This is to tell you my reasoning for the extra entry visa.

3. I am looking for my cheapest, safest option.

4. I have only been to thailand once on a 60 day visa. THis was from may to July. I am now back home in the U.S. I intend to return to Thailand sometime late September.

I should have put it a bit more coherent, but I have been scattered lately. A lot going on.

Edited by roboticeye

It's all good.. you just wanted to know where it will be convenient for you to go from Kho Samui when, in 4 months from now, you will be faced with the need. Well unless you like land travel, that flight to Penang seems like a godsend.

Edited by paz

Kho Samui and Surat Thani airports are only domestic to Bangkok and Hat Yai, perhaps few flight to China.

Depending on OP's funds, all options are open with the restrictions above.

Both Samui and Surat Thani have daily flights to KL. Firefly flies to Penang (from Samui), Air Asia from Surat.

Only problem is Samui flights are incredibly expensive. I have used the Surat route many times, as a result.

Flying Hat Yai to KL is another option.

Nobody mentioned Ranong - if there are no complications (but it sounds like this is not the case) going to the Andaman Club is a nice day out...

Edited by ParadiseLost

Maybe just for a "visa run" go to Langkawi, Malaysia, I found Penang more like a crowded city than a island, a little India-china with people sleeping in the streets everywhere.

To go to Langkawi sure you can book something directly with an agency or you can take the ferry to surat thani, take a bus to hat yai (every hour) with minivans options, or directly to Satun or better directly to the pier 15 or 20km away from Satun bus station, from Hat Yai to Satun are minivans every hour, there are 3 ferry going to Langkawi.

I never had problems or asked nothing entering Thailand and I really like Langkawi, there are many things to do, few bars in the beach, many places to stay, waterfalls, skybridge, cable car, many trips around (Langkawi is a group of 99 islands) not so crowded, the infrastructure is better than in Thailand and a very diverse places to eat.

There two cheap backpacker areas but the taxis have a fixed price of 260 bath or more depending on the distance

http://wikitravel.org/en/Langkawi

airport with few destinations, only malaysia or singapore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langkawi_International_Airport#Airlines_and_destinations

Check too the destination by air from samui

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samui_Airport#Airlines_and_destinations

or by train with some combinations

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Singapore,_Kuala_Lumpur_&_Penang_to_Ko_Samui

Krabi to Penang are also indirect ... you could just check going to BKK and several other destinations ...

But Coming soon in Krabi smile.png
Krabi Penang (begins 15 September 2014)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penang_International_Airport