Passport Reqd For Thais?

TBWG

I would like to do a bit of travelling with family in Laos & Cambodia, whilst boss lady has both Thai & UK passports my stepson has neither. What is situation for Thais travelling to these countries without passports?

Thanks TBWG :o

I would like to do a bit of travelling with family in Laos & Cambodia, whilst boss lady has both Thai & UK passports my stepson has neither. What is situation for Thais travelling to these countries without passports?

Without a passport I think that "locals" can get in for 2 nights 3 days on a border pass, but are restricted to the"immediate" border area.

But why not get a passport for the stepson? It should not be too difficult or slow nowadays. At a guess about 10 days if all the paper work & docs are in order.

Without a passport I think that "locals" can get in for 2 nights 3 days on a border pass, but are restricted to the"immediate" border area.

But why not get a passport for the stepson? It should not be too difficult or slow nowadays. At a guess about 10 days if all the paper work & docs are in order.

Hi davidgtr

Thanks for info, Wanted to take a boat trip down the Mekong so looks like that is out of the question at the moment.

Yes, a passport is the logical answer but after days of collating all the info and a day round trip to passport office in Khon Kaen, still no passport.

Because my stepson is still a minor he needs permission from his biological father, that's a problem as he is in Singapore working on some big construction project and is uncontactable for the foreseeable future.

Thanks

TBWG :D

As has been said, Thais are allowed in for a brief stay without their passport, but remember that they must bring their Thai ID card with them. Much cheaper that way as you don't have to pay the $30 visa fee when entering Laos.

Edited by Soju

As has been said, Thais are allowed in for a brief stay without their passport, but remember that they must bring their Thai ID card with them. Much cheaper that way as you don't have to pay the $30 visa fee when entering Laos.

This is incorrect. Thai people with valid Thai passports can get a 30 day visa free at arrival to Laos. It is clearly written next to the window at the Laos Consulate in Khon Khaen. In your case TBWG your partner is better to use her Thai passport to avoid any fees, I can't advise you about your stepson though.