Thailand perceived as even more gay unfriendly than Russia in international survey

Jingthing

Some of these results are surprising.

Some not at all.

This is an international survey where residents of different countries were asked if their country is bad place for gay people to live.

Again ... residents. Not tourists.

Predictably, the super anti-gay countries like Uganda got high numbers. In that case, 95 percent thinking it was a bad place to live.

Also predictably in famously tolerant countries like Holland rated as very gay friendly. In that case, only 11 percent thinking it was a bad place to live.

So I reckon many of us will be interested in the Thailand results. 52 percent saying bad. More than Vietnam (41 percent). More than Russia (48 percent)!
Many of us realize Thailand isn't quite the "gay paradise" that many superficial tourists seem to think it is.
I realize as always people are going to question the accuracy of these results.
What do you think about the Thai results?
Does that sound about right for the actual situation for gay Thais in Thailand or not?
Edited by Jingthing

One comment I've heard is that gay men are less likely to benefit from family support (wife, kids, etc). So if you come from a poorer background, and have no equivalent support structure, you might not feel that being gay is such a great long-term proposition. This is anecdotal, don't know how much this view is shared.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't see the results for Thailand in the links posted. However, I can confirm for myself and a number of other gay expats I know that Thailand is at least one of the countries where you want to live as a gay person, or a gay couple.

I just received another invitation "with spouse" for a diplomatic event, and it is well known that my spouse is male.

Also in every-day business or life, I don't feel any unfriendliness towards gays in Thailand. I do maintain that

Thailand is one of the most gay-friendly countries in the world, lacking only the official gay marriage.

• Like 2

You really didn't look hard enough.

The info is there or I wouldn't have said it is there.

Go to link.

Find the map.

Put your mouse over different countries.

See Russia.

See Thailand.

Look at the numbers.

Put your mouse over other countries that you wish to see the result number.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/28/gallup-poll-gay-rights-worldwide-_n_5729586.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-voices

Cheers.

Not on my PC right now. But do you really think there is any truth to the theory?

I think the poll was probably done in good faith. It's all about people's perceptions. I just thought it was interesting. Not making any grand conclusions from it.
If a poll comes to such obviously wrong conclusions, I am inclined to question the institution that published it as to their academic ethics.

You can 'prove' anything if you ask the 'right' questions. Unfortunately, that does happen in the academic world.

Edited by onthemoon

My Thai "daughter" introduced me to a number of gays, including the International Thai Champion Hip Hop dancer. No, I am not gay, just live in the Bay Area here in California. He's going to be here for the International Hip Hop competition in Vegas.

Let me see, the dance classes the Aom, my adopted grand daughter takes, is taught by a gay man, and always sitting watching is his partner who obviously did not like me even though I attempted to be friendly.

The only thing that really bugs me is that he has a high nasal and VERY irritating voice.

I didn't see the results for Thailand in the links posted. However, I can confirm for myself and a number of other gay expats I know that Thailand is at least one of the countries where you want to live as a gay person, or a gay couple.

I just received another invitation "with spouse" for a diplomatic event, and it is well known that my spouse is male.

Also in every-day business or life, I don't feel any unfriendliness towards gays in Thailand. I do maintain that

Thailand is one of the most gay-friendly countries in the world, lacking only the official gay marriage.

Well said, with you 100 percent..... I feel no prejudice here quite the opposite.....

• Like 2

It's about how natives feel.

In the Thai context foreigners generally never become Thai so how could YOU ever really know how most actual THAIS really feel?

My perception is Thai Chinese probably have it harder. More conservative so many forced into deep closets.

Then there is the pigeonholing of gay equals ladyboy. That must be very annoying for Thai gays who don't relate to that.

It's about how natives feel.

In the Thai context foreigners generally never become Thai so how could YOU ever really know how most actual THAIS really feel?

My perception is Thai Chinese probably have it harder. More conservative so many forced into deep closets.

Then there is the pigeonholing of gay equals ladyboy. That must be very annoying for Thai gays who don't relate to that.

You are echoing what many people think. In fact, in my experience, which appears to be different from yours, is different. My husband is Thai Chinese, and it was more of an initial problem that I am a farang than that ours is a gay relationship. After over ten years of cohabitation (and on average monthly family dinners), I am now fully accepted. I do actually think that our actual marriage ceremony did give a boost to acceptance, at least with some of the family members.

There are other openly gay people close to the family, and they have been for longer than I have. Oh and yes, I have more contact with Thai people than with foreigners and speaking the language fluently does help to get close. However, I do not claim to know most Thai people, and I certainly do not live in a gay ghetto (quite to the contrary) but my perception is definitely different from yours.

• Like 2

You really didn't look hard enough.

The info is there or I wouldn't have said it is there.

Go to link.

Find the map.

Put your mouse over different countries.

See Russia.

See Thailand.

Look at the numbers.

Put your mouse over other countries that you wish to see the result number.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/28/gallup-poll-gay-rights-worldwide-_n_5729586.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-voices

Cheers.

Got the map. Checked it out.

I still don't believe the results, I would like to see the questions and get information about the sample size and demography.

My Thai "daughter" introduced me to a number of gays, including the International Thai Champion Hip Hop dancer. No, I am not gay, just live in the Bay Area here in California. He's going to be here for the International Hip Hop competition in Vegas.

Let me see, the dance classes the Aom, my adopted grand daughter takes, is taught by a gay man, and always sitting watching is his partner who obviously did not like me even though I attempted to be friendly.

The only thing that really bugs me is that he has a high nasal and VERY irritating voice.

What's a "daughter" as opposed to a daughter?

And who is the International Thai Champion Hip Hop dancer? Sorry for being out of touch.

Self perception is self perception. It is subjective by definition People can look at objective things like specific laws and how many gay people are beat up or murdered for being gay, but this poll wasn't about that. It was about how people living in those countries FEEL.

I certainly have not felt rejection for being gay in Thailand. I had a relationship for 9 years and after his death was treated like family and given the 'memorial picture' set up during the funeral. I am called and invited to the usual Thai celebrations of his life. Of course I do believe that some of it has to do wiht my financial suport and what that represents. No more and no less then the opposite sex relationships.

I am now in a new relationship and invited for celebrations by by partner to his family home. Am learning and what that means will be an education. I am not on the streets acting 'swishy' but have not witnessed any degrogatory comments from folks lilke I read in western news about being gay.

I would think this has more to do with the questions and who was asked. In Thailand there are not that many who have access to this questionaire I would say to make a reasonable average.

• Like 2

If the survey is about residents then surely the vast majority have no basis for comparison? How many gay Thais have spent any time in Uganda or Russia in order to be able to decide which is more 'gay unfriendly'?

That's kind of the point.

Of course they don't compare.

Again, I'm kind of surprised people are not getting this.

The numbers are only about people's SUBJECTIVE perception about their OWN country.

The questions never asked them to compare anything!

Only by looking at the numbers from the various countries can we compare.

The numbers obviously don't show any ultimate "truth" about anything except for peoples subjective perceptions about their own countries.

If the survey is about residents then surely the vast majority have no basis for comparison? How many gay Thais have spent any time in Uganda or Russia in order to be able to decide which is more 'gay unfriendly'?

That's kind of the point.

Of course they don't compare.

Again, I'm kind of surprised people are not getting this.

The numbers are only about people's SUBJECTIVE perception about their OWN country.

The questions never asked them to compare anything!

Only by looking at the numbers from the various countries can we compare.

The numbers obviously don't show any ultimate "truth" about anything except for peoples subjective perceptions about their own countries.

The title of this topic includes "more...than", which does mean that there is a comparison.

What was the point of the survey again?

What's a "daughter" as opposed to a daughter?

And who is the International Thai Champion Hip Hop dancer? Sorry for being out of touch.

Might be a "ladyboy"... Cant help out with the hipperty hopperty dancer tho.