How long do I need to stay in Thailand when applying for extension of stay based on marriage

I expect this question has been asked before, just can't find the answer anywhere.

I work on equal time rotation offshore oil and gas and have travelled in and out of Bangkok for the last five years using 30 day visa exemption stamps in my UK passport with no issues, during most time off periods I travel back and forth to Singapore where my employer is based for business meetings at least once.

It has been pointed out before that as my wife is Thai I should really be applying for a one year extension of stay based on marriage.

I can fulfil all the requirements for an extension - money in bank, photographs, documents etc.

The question is: how long does it take to get the extension and do I have to remain in Thailand while the application is processing.

I am aware that for approx. 500 pounds I can get a dodgy visa firm to do this in one day but sounds like that is illegal and runs a risk of falling foul of the law

I have suggested to the wife that I just get an Elite Card for five years, but was firmly told not to waste my money

I do actually have a second (NZ) passport and an APEC card but both will need renewing in the next six months so would be good to get the extension of stay in the UK passport while I do that

Thanks in advance

When you apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage you a given a under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 days later. Dependent on where you apply for the extension the 30 days will be from the date you apply or from the date your permit to stay ends. It is possible to get a re-entry permit for the 30 days.

It might be that your best choice would be to get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage. The visa would give you unlimited 90 day entries for a year. You can this visa at the consulate in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof.

• Like 2

The application is one within one day. But at that time you only get an under consideration stamp for 30 days. At the end of those 30 days you must come back to immigration to get the final permission to stay for the remaining 11 months. You must be in Thailand again on that day, but in the meantime can leave with a re-entry permit.

When you apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage you a given a under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 days later. Dependent on where you apply for the extension the 30 days will be from the date you apply or from the date your permit to stay ends. It is possible to get a re-entry permit for the 30 days.

It might be that your best choice would be to get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage. The visa would give you unlimited 90 day entries for a year. You can this visa at the consulate in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof.

By unlimited.. I am guessing you meant 4 ?

No

I wrote unlimited and that is what I meant. You can use a multiple entry visa as many times as you want for a year.

No, unlimited means that - unlimited.