Thai officials eye shisha and e-cigarette tax

webfact

Thai Officials Eye Shisha And E-Cigarette Tax
By Khaosod English

14095811101409581250l.jpg
Actress Sumontip "Gubgib" Leuangthai posted a photo of her smoking a shisha at a hotel swimming pool in August 2013. Despite the popularity of shisha in Thailand, no law exists to regulate it. [Photo from instagram]

BANGKOK — Thai authorities many soon regulate and levy taxes on shisha and electric cigarettes, officials at the Ministry of Finance said.

Neither product is currently registered under any Thai laws, officials said.

Shisha, known to the Thais as baragu, is increasingly popular among Thais and widely sold in nightclubs and restaurants, while electric cigarettes have also made a recent entry to the Thai market.

Officials said that despite its widespread use, shisha is in fact illegal and police officers have the right to confiscate the product from any establishment that sells it.

Amending the Tobacco Act of 1996 to include shisha and e-cigarettes will allow the state to legalise, regulate, and tax the products.

"It depends on the consideration of the new Minister of Finance whether the items will be taxed," an official said.

The official added that Ministry of Public Health has also expressed concerns over the popularity of shisha, as the tobacco is six times stronger than regular cigarettes.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1409581110&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-09-02

New PM, New government, new taxes, expect more of the same, waste and energy time to regulate

trivial items that will probably cost more to regulate than the tax money they will collect from, that in turn,

will make café owners to hide/deny that they have those items, so the cat and mouse game begins,

They never learn...

• Like 1

Banned, Illegal but lets make a law to tax it clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

I was under the impression that e-smokes were encouraged in countries that have strong anti smoking campaigns ? What have I missed.

Australia has a very strong anti smoking campaign, and the sale of e cigs is prohibited under a ridiculous law that bans the sale of anything that imitates smoking, originally aimed at kids sweets that looked like cigarettes. You are however allowed to import e cigs from overseas for some bizarre reason.

• Like 1

Shisha is already banned in Thailand!!! So now they plan to tax an illegal activity. I have never heard of anything so stupid!

"Amending the Tobacco Act of 1996 to include shisha and e-cigarettes will allow the state to legalise, regulate, and tax the products."

​Finally, common sense prevails.

• Like 1

I was under the impression that e-smokes were encouraged in countries that have strong anti smoking campaigns ? What have I missed.

Australia has a very strong anti smoking campaign, and the sale of e cigs is prohibited under a ridiculous law that bans the sale of anything that imitates smoking, originally aimed at kids sweets that looked like cigarettes. You are however allowed to import e cigs from overseas for some bizarre reason.

There seem to be some versions of electronic smokes about in ciggy stores in OZ. Not too sure about the law. I would never encourage anyone to smoke but, I do and have for a very long time. We are probably the only minority it is O.K. to pick on. Yes, I don't drop butts about (portable ash tray) and I try not to smoke where it would inconvenience others (some people do have highly sensitive honkers though; they start coughing 100m away). Thailand has every right to make its own laws, however it needs to be careful not to scare the horses too much. Most people travel to relax and enjoy themselves. Surely some areas for smokers could be arranged where it would not upset the wowsers too much?

• Like 2

I think I am reading that if they do not tax it then it is illegal. If they establish a tax on it, then it will be legal - right?

It appears that they are considering legalizing these products so they can then tax and regulate them.

Edited by prism

Including a tobacco free product under the tobacco act? Very logical. Is it because it simulates smoking tobacco but without smoke or tobacco? Then I propose to include masturbation under the prostitution act, since it simulates sex without... Well you know what I mean.

Shisha makes sense, but vapes? You know it's about the money, a sin tax on a sin free product.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Neither product is currently registered under any Thai laws, officials said.

<snip>

Officials said that despite its widespread use, shisha is in fact illegal

Anyone else notice a contradiction here?

Yes, me too. Thaiand sees to have become a place where something not mentioned in any laws can become illegal at the whim of a minor meddling official.

Maybe the government should concentrate on eliminating useless laws rather than inventing new ones that serve no purpose but to satisfy self-righteous prudes who like to interfere in everyone else's lives?

Edited by charmonman
  • Like 2

Like this news

why?
For i use those e sigs , and a nice sheesha with friends on a night out once inna while should be ok

Perhaps its the thai tabacco monopoly that want to start producing those products as well ?

Nothing changes the world over... Governments want their tax-grab and in this case, they have clearly simply over-looked these 2 items and now they are going to get their (share) take. Simple!! Whilst I don't mind the odd puff once in a blue moon, I applaud taxing anything that is potentially or ultimately harmful to people as it makes for bigger queues at hospitals; increases the burden upon others in both time and money, and ultimately society pays so I don't see a better way than society (via Govt.) collecting the extra funding they are going to shell out anyway,.... up-front! Am I missing something? If cigarettes were $100 a packet, kids would not be smoking. If kids were not smoking then far less adults would be! Net result? Better for everyone except cigarette companies! Like most of us give a &lt;deleted&gt; about them!

• Like 2

Shisha is already banned in Thailand!!! So now they plan to tax an illegal activity. I have never heard of anything so stupid!

..Then you have never heard of the Thai Excise department. They move Director generals around from one ministry to another so fast, none of them really get familiar enough with one ministry enough to really be an expert, nor devise any good working tax planning... I guess that is a good excuse for them!

There seem to be some versions of electronic smokes about in ciggy stores in OZ. Not too sure about the law. I would never encourage anyone to smoke but, I do and have for a very long time. We are probably the only minority it is O.K. to pick on. Yes, I don't drop butts about (portable ash tray) and I try not to smoke where it would inconvenience others (some people do have highly sensitive honkers though; they start coughing 100m away). Thailand has every right to make its own laws, however it needs to be careful not to scare the horses too much. Most people travel to relax and enjoy themselves. Surely some areas for smokers could be arranged where it would not upset the wowsers too much?

To hell with the wowsers. Ok, be considerate, I do too but give me a fat black cigar dipped in Jack anywhere and anytime.

• Like 1

Well you certainly missed out on learning to read properly. The plan is to regulate them under the law then tax them.