Broken dreams: Parents file complaint against Thai modeling agent

webfact

Broken dreams: Parents file complaint against modeling agent
By Coconuts Bangkok

star.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Some parents claim they were duped into buying expensive fashion show tickets to see their children’s star moment, which never happened.

Piroj Panitatchacarn, 43, the representative of the guardians said a male modeling agent, who went by the name “Austin Ice” on Facebook, said he’d get their children into the “Perfect Secret Model Fashion Week” last night which was hosted by his agency.

When the big moment came, the parents said all of their children were ushered across the stage in a group, without one of them receiving their promised “star moment.”

Piroj added the children did not even get to strike a pose, and some of them did not get a chance to walk down the runway at all because they were exhausted after waiting unfed for seven hours in a small dressing room before the show.

Around 100 children reportedly participated in the fashion show last night, held at Bangkok University in Rangsit.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/09/01/failure-launch-parents-file-complaint-against-modeling-agent

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-09-02

I hate when parents pimp their kids out at events like these. Sick.

Some of the documentaries on childrens' ' circuits ' are disgusting as self-serving parents push young children to intolerable limits.whilst denying it's for anything other than the youngsters who of course ' just love it ".

As a variation on a theme a recent television report on sport in China indicated many parents are against their children becoming involved in sport as it's a distraction from their studies. It may be a generalistion but from what i saw of Hong Kong Chinese culture study leads to a good qualification and a good job with a decent salary so the children can take care of their parents when they grow old.

C.B. Shaw did say that youth was wasted on the young but he did indicate it was in fact a derogatory comment on the youth themselves.

...... side note, is the model in the photo male, female or purposly ambiguous?

Hmmm... my question was whether she was fat, slim, or purposely ambiguous. But now you've got me looking at it in a whole new way...

The "model" in the photo is Austin Ice. He is the person that runs this agency. IMO very talented man who is really good with the kids, and teaches them very well.

Sadly, like most Thais, he couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery. I took my daughter to a rehearsal last year for one of his shows held in Pattaya. Had to be there for 10,00 am. He finally turned up at 2 pm and was lucky not to get lynched by the 20 or so parents who'd turned up on time. The actual show was the next day and started late again. But was better organized than this one by the sound of it.

It is a racket - and not just in Thailand. You pay for lessons, have to by tickets to watch, have to buy clothes, dvd's etc etc. But, the kids seem to love it.

More parents wanting to live through their kids get disappointed that their kids ain't stars

Id say this is more common in the USA and other western countries,

in conservative cultures ,eg asian, muslim even if a girl is approached by victorias secret, not all will jump at the chance , whether it be personal or family or religous