Over Supply Of Local Transportation Services In Pattaya.

morrobay

There seems to be an increase and oversupply of parked and double parked baht buses. meter taxis, minivans, private taxis and the moto taxis.

The vehicles and drivers seem to be idle for alot of the day.

Has supply far outpaced demand here ? Given its low season , but still too many.

Edited by morrobay
  • Like 1

There have always been far too many baht buses on the main streets ( beach and 2nd rd), totally clogging up the traffic.

I must admit that during moments of insanity I dream of this issue being resolved by the new powers that be.

• Like 2

A solution would be to have far more set baht bus routes, even going over to and around the dark side, all trips up to Sukumvit 10 baht as now but across it 20 baht.

It would solve the problem as there would be far less demand for private hire, not that there really is that much anyway compared to the number of vehicles parked up hoping for a fare.

The other issue is when they do get people, as they have been hanging around for hours, they want excessive amounts of money for relatively short trips.

The usual - we have no customers so lets try to squeeze any that come our way - mentality

Far more routes, well published and sign posted in Thai & English, would rid many of these vehicles from the streets as the obviously, from the owners points of view, perceived demand would be even less than the actual very low demand which currently exists.

If Pattaya really does want the family tourists it would be the way to go, of course it would need to be imposed as the current private hire operators would not want it to happen.

Get REAL taxi meter cars and put those lazy idlers to WORK!

It's beyond my belief how they manage to amortise the purchase cost of those taxis (i.e. plus the running costs- drivers remuneration, insurance, fuel, maintenance, etc) based on the amount of time they are sitting around idle and how few paying customers, they seem to get per day.blink.png

• Like 1

It's beyond my belief how they manage to amortise the purchase cost of those taxis (i.e. plus the running costs- drivers remuneration, insurance, fuel, maintenance, etc) based on the amount of time they are sitting around idle and how few paying customers, they seem to get per day.blink.png

Easy, they skip on the insurance and maintenance part and NGV is cheap.

I imagine it would be excellent for property values on 3rd road, Pratamnak Hill etc if their was a legitimate taxi service.

Of course the taxi company is breaking their contract with City Hall since day one.

I mentioned this on the Mayors Facebook page and he deleted the comment and blocked me.

This week the ex Mayor of Phuket was booked for very similar offenses I read.

• Like 2

They have taxi's with meters, if they continue not to use the meters, the answer is simple, apart from a fine impound the taxi for a week, they will soon get the message.

Now Pattaya has Taxi's with meters stop the Baht buses doing taxi work, fixed routes and fixed fairs.

Defined routes, controlled number of BB working any route at given times.

It is not rocket science, thing is stop BB's running around empty, with better control drivers can get same income from working less hours, use less fuel, less wear&tear on the vehicle, and there would be less pollution and less traffic congestion.

Edited by Basil B

Yes the original cars had working meters. They never used them. It's been so many years ... I wonder if they've rusted out. Also, yes when the fake taxi meter taxis were introduced in Pattaya it was announced in the "press" they would be Bangkok style taxis using the meters. It never happened. The "taxis" and the "baht buses" share the same ownership. coffee1.gif

They want about 500bt but if the meter was used it would be about 75bt.

Who's protecting them?

My opinion is the taxis are there to make sure the monopoly remains in private transport. Only HIGHLY INFLATED charter fares, car or baht bus truck, you choose, but no REAL taxi service. That's the only theory that makes sense to me but of course I don't really KNOW.

If ANOTHER owner owned the taxi cars and was ABLE to offer real taxi service (and live to tell the tale) that would shake up the entire game. So not acceptable.

As far as your specific question, it's a little delicate to go into details, but not to hard to figure that one out.

Now the weird part is, as most people know, the baht BUS system when they act as BUSES is pretty darned GOOD and definitely WELL PRICED on the routes they run (assuming you don't wish to go off route).

So the system might be more than OK for some who don't need charters often, but it would be so much better for consumers with a mix of buses and REAL TAXIS.

Edited by Jingthing

The army is either building a case.against these guys or have been ordered to back off. The godfather of Chonburi obviously has had some high level protection.

I guess we wait and see.

I hope I am wrong, but I predict this system won't be significantly touched.

The baht busses are a great deal if you like riding in the back of a truck.

The dangerously overloaded baht buses that go over the hill to Jomtien scare me.

Do they ever inspect their brakes I wonder?

Good question.

Weirdly, accidents based on mechanical failures are very rare with those, at least based on news reports.

Occasionally, there are accidents of course, crashes rather than mechanical failure.

I'm surprised there aren't more as in my experience about 25 percent of the drivers have mental health issues based on their style of driving.

Edited by Jingthing

Ban buses any bigger than a mini bus from entering Pattaya (have them park on the 36 or something). then put all those idle mini buses and baht buses to use ferrying the passengers into Pattaya.

Edited by Spoonman

A solution would be to have far more set baht bus routes, even going over to and around the dark side, all trips up to Sukumvit 10 baht as now but across it 20 baht.

I agree. But even here in central Pattaya we're hardly adequately provided for.

I've lived here for the best part of the last eight years. As we all know central Pattaya has developed hugely during that time. Yet, to the best of my knowledge, the baht bus routes haven't changed one iota in all that time.

Third Road is the most obvious example. Especially the stretch between Central Road (Pattayaklang) and South Road (Pattaya Tai). It's a main road, it's inner city - yet virtually no service.

Soi Yume, Soi Arunothai ...nothing.

• Like 1

These songtaew drivers rent the pick-up trucks from an owner for 400 baht a day; plus pay for gas. These "baht buses" get two shifts a day. When it is peak season (December through end of February, the songtaew drivers become "king" and decide they do not have to stop and be for the public, but become a bit arrogant and take private families or groups around; thus leaving the single pedestrian standing on the street watching all the baht buses pass him by. The taxis are the same set up-the drivers rent them. Hard to imagine that they are able to make enough to pay the rent on the taxis..but that is why they do not go by the meter and charge ridiculous prices. The Pattaya taxi drivers do not dare drive around (such as "real"taxis in cities around the world) and do the pick-up/drop off....drive a bit then pick-up/drop off scene because this would take business away from the baht bus profit

Thais in general don't understand the laws of supply and demand. And that's why Pattaya is over supplied with:

1. Baht Busses

2. Meter Taxis

3. Motorbike Taxis

4. Condominiums

5. Beer Bars

6. GoGo Bars

7. Restaurants

8. 7/11's

9. Pharmacies

10. Mobile Street Vendors

11. Golf Courses

12. Pot Holes

13. Deck Chairs

14. Ladyboys

15. Massage Shops

16. Beauty Salons

and last but not least.....

17. Girls

Did I miss anything? Feel free to add to the list. whistling.gif

Edit: I missed Optometrists and Indian Taylors. facepalm.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz

It's easy to dislike an over supply of baht buses and all the vendors clogging up a lane of a street or whatever. You gotta remember that these people are in survival mode. It's not like the western world where there are safety nets. If these people don't get customers they don't eat and they can't just switch occupations when they have no education and it's all they know. So those are the sorts of things the Thai authorities have to consider.

A lot of these baht bus drivers literally live in them. You will see them parked and sleeping in the back.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1

It's easy to dislike an over supply of baht buses and all the vendors clogging up a lane of a street or whatever. You gotta remember that these people are in survival mode. It's not like the western world where there are safety nets. If these people don't get customers they don't eat and they can't just switch occupations when they have no education and it's all they know. So those are the sorts of things the Thai authorities have to consider.

A lot of these baht bus drivers literally live in them. You will see them parked and sleeping in the back.

Unfortunately by concentrating themselves in the prime areas they also cut their own throats as there is plenty of business to be had in other areas, 3rd Road for instance, where they would find numerous customers if they just provide a service there.

Unfortunately by concentrating themselves in the prime areas they also cut their own throats as there is plenty of business to be had in other areas, 3rd Road for instance, where they would find numerous customers if they just provide a service there.

I would love to see baht buses on 3rd road. Maybe they want to keep that road clear and don't allow them? A route that goes from 2nd road to Klang to 3rd road to Pattaya Tai would be very convenient imho. Then beach road in the other direction.

Edited by lapd

The majority of Baht buses are not owned by the drivers, they only rent them, a lot of them are rented from police owners, so it stands to reason why they operate with little regard for the law, and why there is so much of an oversupply of them.

Parked and sleeping in the back is usually because they are too drunk or too spaced out to drive, not because they are forced to live in them.

The majority of Baht buses are not owned by the drivers, they only rent them, a lot of them are rented from police owners, so it stands to reason why they operate with little regard for the law, and why there is so much of an oversupply of them.

Parked and sleeping in the back is usually because they are too drunk or too spaced out to drive, not because they are forced to live in them.

I never said forced. Also you see the same with the guys who drive those big buses. They have their washed clothes hanging on the mirrors, and make shift beds. You see them right on beach road doing that sometimes.

The point is, these guys are not making much money. Pretty much just in survival mode like many other Thais. Trying to cover the absolute basics of existence. So you cannot try look at it through western eyes and expect to truly understand the situation.

Edited by lapd