Bottled Black Oolong tea

Suradit69

Just came across Suntory bottled Oolong Tea Plus at my local Family Mart.

sbf0052-1.jpg

Had high expectations since I'm not a big fan of bottled Oishi green tea, but I do like Oolong. Didn't find the taste to be even remotely like the lighter colored oolong tea that I'm used to and, unfortunately the "original" was slightly sweetened. It did taste a bit more like black tea than some of the awful stuff sold as bottled black tea, so that was OK until I noticed it's described as "oolong tea polymerized polyphenols," which I guess is why it's called Oolong Tea Plus.

"Polymerized polyphenols" sounds like something synthetic to my non-scientific mind, but in a Suntory website that referred to the product as Black Oolong tea, they had this to say. Anyone know if this is just self-promoting BS or if it's a reasonable description?

Suntory has been studying the health benefits of oolong tea for many years. Research has shown that oolong tea polymerized polyphenols, or OTPPs, help block the absorption of fat in foods and suppress the increase of triglycerides after meals. New Black Oolong Tea is rich in these fat-blocking polymerized polyphenols, and has been recognized as a health-promoting tea. Suntory research shows that drinking Black Oolong Tea with meals suppresses the increase in triglycerides after meals by approximately 20%. In addition, studies in Taiwan indicate that OTPPs nearly double the amount of fat excretion.

http://www.suntory.com/news/2006/9410.html

Is this: Suntory bottled Oolong Tea Plus without sugar and sweetener or just another sweet drink?

As I said, I bought the "original," which seemed to be slightly sweetened. Not excessively like most sweetened drinks or the typical cha yen in Thailand. There appear to be three versions, the original, lemon and osmanthus. The original a pleasant flavor but not what I think of as oolong. The osmanthus is OK. I don't like lemony tea drinks so I haven't tried that.

If you want a totally sugar-free drink, this won't pass the test, but it's nothing as bad as most bottled drinks sold in Thailand or elsewhere for that matter. I think it was first aimed at the Japanese market.

I have no idea how much 'oolong tea polymerized polyphenols' OTPP in that bottle of tea, and how much positive effect it offers.

but, TASTE and SWEETNESS are different things. been in one beverage project in a very civilised market, the technical staff explained how bad these things work in the beverage industry. not necessary less sweet is better, it depends what chemical it is.

if sweetening drink is need ( always ), then I prefer DIY by adding honey or cane sugar. they are widely available in Thailand.

I have no idea how much 'oolong tea polymerized polyphenols' OTPP in that bottle of tea, and how much positive effect it offers.

but, TASTE and SWEETNESS are different things. been in one beverage project in a very civilised market, the technical staff explained how bad these things work in the beverage industry. not necessary less sweet is better, it depends what chemical it is.

if sweetening drink is need ( always ), then I prefer DIY by adding honey or cane sugar. they are widely available in Thailand.

And what would be the difference between honey, cane sugar and normal sugar?

Well they are better than fructose....

thanks for reminding . . . I should be explicitly refer to NATURAL honey and NATURAL sugar !

back home, we use a lot of artificial sweetener, not much in the spoon, but mostly in the food industry. years back when I arrived Thailand, realised that the sugar cane industry is sufficient for supplying sugar for the food industry and also the daily consumption. may be changed today.

natural produces always preferred. so, the OTPP in the drink is not really the issue, the taster and the sweetener are !

thanks for reminding . . . I should be explicitly refer to NATURAL honey and NATURAL sugar !

back home, we use a lot of artificial sweetener, not much in the spoon, but mostly in the food industry. years back when I arrived Thailand, realised that the sugar cane industry is sufficient for supplying sugar for the food industry and also the daily consumption. may be changed today.

natural produces always preferred. so, the OTPP in the drink is not really the issue, the taster and the sweetener are !

honey is just the same as white sugar. I guess cane sugar as well. OK, with some extra minerals.

If it is more healthy to eat sugar or artificial sweetener? I don't know. I would vote for the artificial sweetener as the better one of two bad choices.

In the food industry: The artificial sweetener is way cheaper than any sugar (costs almost nothing) + you can write on the package that it is without sugar or low sugar.

Now with with sugar in everything I am sure the sugar cane industry couldn't supply these amounts......

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a totally sugar-free drink, this won't pass the test, but it's nothing as bad as most bottled drinks sold in Thailand or elsewhere for that matter. I think it was first aimed at the Japanese market.

It was for any market other than Japanese, no sweetened green or oolong tea here. OTTP did appear in Japan first but never sweetened.

OTPP (Oolong Tea Polymerized Polyphenols) is 4 times more expensive (50THB for 300cc) than the regular oolong tea in Japanese supermarkets. It helps body release fat without absorbing it.

Copying that, Pepsi has their Pepsi 0 with PP. Other manufacturers (of green tea too) have their products with PP.

"Ohisi" green tea is for Thai market. The word in Japanese means "tasty, delicious", hardly a brand.