Is the crackdown on repeat visa runners already fizzling out?

Anyway no offence to your mum - I'm sure she's lovely - but why should Thailand bend over backwards to entice her to move here?

Some people seem to think the Thais should greet us like visiting dignitaries just for being born in the west and having a few quid in the bank.

Thailand doesn't have to treat farangs as visiting dignitaries however if they want tourists or long term tourists recent actions certainly don't show it. Do you think some first time tourists that were turned away at southern border crossings even with valid issued tourist visa paid for at Thai consulates in their home country ( as happened because not all border crossings got the correct orders or didn't know how to apply them ) are going to be coming back or giving Thailand rave reviews your mistaken. To confusing rules on visa's. Some don't want to get retiremnt visa because they say I don't want to retire there just visit for awhile. I had to tell a older lady she could get retirement visa but could still maintain her home in USA and get muli entry retirment visa to travel around Thailand and Asia, she was not aware of how to do it and with the rules constantly chanhing lately doesn't help.

And yes there are probably thousands coming over on tourist visa's ( 60 day single or double, triple entry--why do you think they issue them) I did at first then changed to non-o retirement. Had a friend's 70 year old aunt stay here on one

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It seems there is an expectation of Thailand, which is not expected of most countries. Immigration rules are only questioned in Thailand because of a history of laxity in their enforcement. Now, there is an enforcement procedure which is similar to that in most other developed countries. Tourists are obviously welcomed. Long-stayers are not tourists and simply need to apply for the appropriate visa. It's not so difficult. Being openly critical of your host is very poor form; trying to crawl through loopholes is not a good way to live one's life. Westerners staying more than 30 days are not as important to Thailand as Thailand is to them. The tourists who spend most money here are Japanese. They spend a lot in ten days. Westerners who are claiming to be tourists, but who really are economic refugees, do not spend much money per capital at all. Often, their negative social impact can be greater than their positive financial impact.

If you are a tourist, get a tourist visa.

If you are a long stayer get the visa which Thailand deems to be the one most suited to your needs.

If you can't afford it, you can't afford to stay in Thailand.

The Japanese spend the most? Says who? You're just another misinformed person making up things as you go along. The Japanese are exactly the same as other westerners and other foreigners in general, if your point is accepted to be true. They need Thailand much more than Thailand needs them. How exactly do they spend more than westerners? Most Japanese have a very inferior view of Thailand and only come for recreational purposes, blowing big money on drinking and girls. I know of one Japanese professor who apparently is a co-supervisor of a Thai PhD student's thesis at Chula university. He only ever comes to Thailand for drinking and doesn't get any work done once he's here, whereas my dad, a second supervisor actually cares about said student.

Most westerners on long term stays actually spend a whole lot more money than those 3 day in-out Japanese "executives" that you describe. They own cars (or have purchased them for their spouses) and in an ironic twist most of those cars are Japanese (but obviously Thai made), they've purchased houses, they like good food and wine etc.

If you want to see high spending tourists these days think Chinese or even Australians (certainly the FIFO or business owners). With it's very high wages and relatively short distances to get to Thailand, not to mention low prices once they arrive, many Aussies in these categories live it up here. I have two good friends from school, one is a business owner and the other is in real estate. They recently came to Bangkok all the way from Sydney just for three nights. They stayed at the Novotel Siam Square, which they didn't think was that fancy but anyway, they spent big on meals and drinks, only frequenting the best places, such as the rooftop pool bar at the W hotel. More than 2000 Baht (I think it was) spent on just a couple of drinks, including mine. Now that's big spending, especially for Thailand.

No, Tomx3, not just another person making things up. I own a tourist business and my computer records back what I say as far as Japanese tourists go. Over four years of records says I am not misinformed. A quick read of some of your posts show that generally, I shouldn't be concerned about what you opine.

• Like 1

Anyway no offence to your mum - I'm sure she's lovely - but why should Thailand bend over backwards to entice her to move here?

Some people seem to think the Thais should greet us like visiting dignitaries just for being born in the west and having a few quid in the bank.

How many billions does the TAT spend on advertizing ?? And thats getting people staying for days..

Surely similar effort to get people to spend months would make sense ??

Look at Malaysias MM2H program and the red carpet it rolls out..

The red carpet:

Under 50... Over 5 million baht in liquid (no bonds or securities) assets and over 100,700 baht per month income. JUST TO APPLY!

If approved... 3 million baht in Maylay bank account for 2 years then 1.6 million baht thereafter.

Over 50... Over 3.5 million Baht in assets (can be bonds/investments) and over 100,700 Baht/month income. JUST TO APPLY!

If approved... 1.5 million Baht in the bank 2 years then 1,007,000 Baht thereafter. Gov't pension income over 100,700 Baht/month is exempt from bank deposit.

What a deal!!! Line up everybody!

'nuff said

~

Edited by 'nuff said

I agree that there is still a lot of confusion.

For instance, what has happened to the proposed 30 day exempt, which could be renewed at an Immigration Office for a further 30 days for 1,900 baht?

There are people already getting 30 day extensions for visa exempt entries. That started on the 29th of August.

Ok, I will not argue about that as we don't seem to have the same tools of judgment: these are regular prices for such hotels.

I do confirm that, even in the Western world, if I may call it that way, Novotel is not a luxury item, upscale maybe, luxurious, definitely not.

Talk about plaza athenee, Sofitel "so", Le Meridien in other parts of the world, yes Novotel NO

That being said, the comparison you are making between wages and prices charged in such places are easy applicable to Europe ( sorry I can only speak for that continent )

So winter lasts 6 months? Where? Siberia?

I grew up near the Canadian Border in Northern New York State. First Frost in October, Last Snowfall in April. Do the math. The seasonal calender will tell you 3 months, but your heating bill will tell you six.

I think that is why some folks would prefer a warmer place for those six months.

Near the Canadian border?

Try going 400 miles north of that border Winnipeg and others.. Winter can be 8 months.

It's why the term "snowbird" was invented, Canadian retirees going south for the long winter.

I m a digital nomade and I make mega bucks on the Internet (sometimes when I m lucky) . There is no visa for digital nomade except the tourist visa.

Thai Elite visa still too much for your megabucks???

The Thai Elite program is not suitable for him. As a digital nomad he is working and this is not permitted (legally) in Thailand on the Thai Elite program. All this program offers in relation to working here legally is assistance with obtaining a work permit.

I am not a nomade, so not trying to pull the blanket,

Correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure I read, a few weeks ago, on some TV forum ( not that it means that it is true ) that this way of earning a living did not breach any law, therefore wouldn't be in contradiction with entering the country on a tourist visa

This is not an information, just a question

The "crackdown" not fizzled out. It was just overplayed when it first started. There are rules in place to limit in/out visa runners going for visa exempt entries. Part of the problem was that people mixed up visa exempt entries and tourist visas (and still do).

Lets not forget that the Immigration Chief who spearheaded this campaign just days before the coup is no longer in the job and the rules look like they're now being relaxed a bit.

Why is that I wonder ?

So the crackdown started under the last government, before the coup. I had not realised that.

Not related but just a personal off topic thought

How amazing....not that I complain, but it seems so strange, so weird though, that some years ago anyone typing the word "thailandelite" would lead a thousand infuriated posters to tear that concept down ready to have the TEM perpetrators (=Thai Elite Members ) face the firing squad, whereas, today, it seems to be the logical choice.

I am surprised that no one has theorised that all the changes we have seen, were instigated by some powerful mastermind in order to market this option.

This being said, I agree that this membership could very well be taylor cut for the nomads

As for people willing to spend six months away from their country of origin, I tend to agree that some months here and some months somewhere else isn't a killer, especially for European who are only twelve hours from most continents

No, the Thai Elite Card is not taylor (sic) made for nomads, you cannot work (legally) when staying here via the Elite Card. Under the definition of "working" provided by the Thai Labour Laws, digital nomads are considered to be working and that can only be done here (legally) by obtaining a work permit.

I didn't say it is, but it could but from what you are saying, this visa is not suitable obviously

English not being my mother tongue, would you kindly explain the meaning of "Taylor (sic) made"

Isn't this expression correct? Thanks

I m a digital nomade and I make mega bucks on the Internet (sometimes when I m lucky) . There is no visa for digital nomade except the tourist visa.

Thai Elite visa still too much for your megabucks???

The Thai Elite program is not suitable for him. As a digital nomad he is working and this is not permitted (legally) in Thailand on the Thai Elite program. All this program offers in relation to working here legally is assistance with obtaining a work permit.

Digital nomad seems to be a fancy term for a backpacker with a lap top.

People forget that immigration (and border security) are there to monitor and control who is allowed to come in to any particular sovereign country.

One way that they do this is by the issuing of visas to those who meet certain criteria as directed by the Government of said country.

It is not their purpose to create a situation whereby anyone and everyone can enter simply because they wish too. And rightly so.

Thailand, like many other countries, are chasing the tourist dollar - nothing wrong with that. Perhaps they see the "digital nomad" as less than the ideal tourist based on whatever criteria they have.

Such is life - get over it and move on.

For the professional "digital nomad" they should be able, by definition, to work from virtually anywhere.

Why not work from home? And then come to Thailand as a genuine tourist.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It seems there is an expectation of Thailand, which is not expected of most countries. Immigration rules are only questioned in Thailand because of a history of laxity in their enforcement. Now, there is an enforcement procedure which is similar to that in most other developed countries. Tourists are obviously welcomed. Long-stayers are not tourists and simply need to apply for the appropriate visa. It's not so difficult. Being openly critical of your host is very poor form; trying to crawl through loopholes is not a good way to live one's life. Westerners staying more than 30 days are not as important to Thailand as Thailand is to them. The tourists who spend most money here are Japanese. They spend a lot in ten days. Westerners who are claiming to be tourists, but who really are economic refugees, do not spend much money per capital at all. Often, their negative social impact can be greater than their positive financial impact.

If you are a long stayer get the visa which Thailand deems to be the one most suited to your needs.

The Japanese spend the most? Says who? You're just another misinformed person making up things as you go along. The Japanese are exactly the same as other westerners and other foreigners in general, if your point is accepted to be true. They need Thailand much more than Thailand needs them. How exactly do they spend more than westerners? Most Japanese have a very inferior view of Thailand and only come for recreational purposes, blowing big money on drinking and girls. I know of one Japanese professor who apparently is a co-supervisor of a Thai PhD student's thesis at Chula university. He only ever comes to Thailand for drinking and doesn't get any work done once he's here, whereas my dad, a second supervisor actually cares about said student.

Most westerners on long term stays actually spend a whole lot more money than those 3 day in-out Japanese "executives" that you describe. They own cars (or have purchased them for their spouses) and in an ironic twist most of those cars are Japanese (but obviously Thai made), they've purchased houses, they like good food and wine etc.

If you want to see high spending tourists these days think Chinese or even Australians (certainly the FIFO or business owners). With it's very high wages and relatively short distances to get to Thailand, not to mention low prices once they arrive, many Aussies in these categories live it up here. I have two good friends from school, one is a business owner and the other is in real estate. They recently came to Bangkok all the way from Sydney just for three nights. They stayed at the Novotel Siam Square, which they didn't think was that fancy but anyway, they spent big on meals and drinks, only frequenting the best places, such as the rooftop pool bar at the W hotel. More than 2000 Baht (I think it was) spent on just a couple of drinks, including mine. Now that's big spending, especially for Thailand.

No, Tomx3, not just another person making things up. I own a tourist business and my computer records back what I say as far as Japanese tourists go. Over four years of records says I am not misinformed. A quick read of some of your posts show that generally, I shouldn't be concerned about what you opine.

A quick search of your 4 measly posts means I shouldn't be concerned about your opinion either. Read the news - Chinese and German tourists are amongst the top spenders. Anyway who cares what you think? Also, what's an opine? Care to translate?

These immigration rules are totally retarded by the way. We live in a world where everything is connected like your pc, laptop,... And they expect to see us to come as a tourist with a Mickey mouse t shirt and a Canon camera around your neck.(stereotype of a tourist), but this world has changed a lot since 1977, still immigration rules are based on old rules fixed by old guys who don't understand anything.

Did immigration knows what internet is? When they continue to stamp entrance cards! So instead to modernise the system, they prefer to change their mind all the time. "no back to back visa run , but tomorrow It s ok..., but in 3 days we want people get visa...Bla bla"

See what I mean? , these people at immigration are totally clueless because they still live in an old system.

What is it that you do online to make so much money?

So winter lasts 6 months? Where? Siberia?

~

I've been in Hexham in Northeastern England for 3 months and I swear summer passed us by. Highs of 18c in August! God knows what winter would be like! So I would say "up norf" has a 10 month winter, at least that's what it feels like!

How amazing....not that I complain, but it seems so strange, so weird though, that some years ago anyone typing the word "thailandelite" would lead a thousand infuriated posters to tear that concept down ready to have the TEM perpetrators (=Thai Elite Members ) face the firing squad, whereas, today, it seems to be the logical choice.

I am surprised that no one has theorised that all the changes we have seen, were instigated by some powerful mastermind in order to market this option.

This being said, I agree that this membership could very well be taylor cut for the nomads

As for people willing to spend six months away from their country of origin, I tend to agree that some months here and some months somewhere else isn't a killer, especially for European who are only twelve hours from most continents

No, the Thai Elite Card is not taylor (sic) made for nomads, you cannot work (legally) when staying here via the Elite Card. Under the definition of "working" provided by the Thai Labour Laws, digital nomads are considered to be working and that can only be done here (legally) by obtaining a work permit.

I didn't say it is, but it could but from what you are saying, this visa is not suitable obviously

English not being my mother tongue, would you kindly explain the meaning of "Taylor (sic) made"

Isn't this expression correct? Thanks

Sorry Alyx, entering 'sic' is just a way of directly copying a quote that may contain a spelling/grammar error and advising the reader that the error is intentionally copied over from the source text. Didn't mean anything by it, it's just a reflex action that I have from my work.....tailor made is how it would normally be written.

Back on the digital nomads, it is a grey area that most likely one day will receive some scrutiny and specific legislation to address it. I come from Australia where salaries and rents are so high it has driven a huge explosion in online workers as companies look for ways of controlling costs, and the authorities there have faced many dilemmas in dealing with this trend.

As a digital nomad you can be working online for a company located in another country and being paid in that country's currency into a bank account located in that country and paying tax in that country also. Technically nothing to do with Thailand except that you're living here and using the local infrastructure without contributing by way of taxes. The only contribution you make to the Thai economy is what you spend on a daily basis, similar to that of a tourist. The Thai authorities need to control the number & type of people here same as any other country and want people working here to remain within the visa system and paying taxes, hence the imposition of the work permit requirement with it's associated obligations.

• Like 1

I miss here a general concept.
It's not only the types of visas of importance, but also the labor and investment laws.
The whole daily crackdown announcements looks more as profile attempts by some officials, as that which arises here thoughtful and sustainable.
If persons with valid tourist visas (issued by embassies, consulates, honorary consulates) are rejected at the border,
this is very bad for the image and the whole process.
If border officials assess the individual cases differently, confusion arises.
Some officers simply require, depending on there daily mood, additional documents or evidence.
For example requirements for ED and Business visas.
Many government schools upcountry simply do not report their foreign teachers.
The whole work permit process seems too complicated.
Exactly it is the same with the dive instructors/teachers.
I know many who have packed their bags, because the uncertainty is very great,
if they are allowed to enter again.
Unlike a one-year work permit for Burmese workers appears to be not a problem
(800 baht, residence card and finish).
I hope in the future it will be more planned, pre-thought and organized (structure and process organization),
before a new crackdown announcement comes.
The small “european family” high season is nearly over. Now come the quiet months of October and November to then,
hopefully the high season starts again in mid-December.
Until then, however many bungalows, hotel rooms and houses for rent are empty,
and many Thais make “long faces”.
Edited by tomacht8

The NCPO, the new PM and all backed directly by the Military ... could fix the 'problem' with the visa system just as they have taken direct action with the Phuket Beaches... They could clean it up, convene a committee, hopefully invite some representatives from thaivisa.com, define the problems - spell out the solution - make new laws - modify old law ... But unlike the striking example of Phuket Beaches - the new government (so far) does not see the visa situation as being 'broken' ... And unless and until they do ... it will continue to be 'what it is'... and what it is - is nonsensical at times... inconsistent at best and down right awful sometimes... It is a problem waiting to be solved as soon as the NCPO and the new PM see it as a problem.

It really does not matter much how we see it.

The "crackdown" not fizzled out. It was just overplayed when it first started. There are rules in place to limit in/out visa runners going for visa exempt entries. Part of the problem was that people mixed up visa exempt entries and tourist visas (and still do).

Lets not forget that the Immigration Chief who spearheaded this campaign just days before the coup is no longer in the job and the rules look like they're now being relaxed a bit.

Why is that I wonder ?

So the crackdown started under the last government, before the coup. I had not realised that.

The first talk of the crackdown appeared out of Phuket on this forum on May the 8th : www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/724558-immigration-clarifies-phuket-visa-run-crackdown

So we know that whatever orders were handed down from higher up the chain came before May the 8th.

Then there was a clarification on May 10th : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725053-final-crackdown-for-border-runners-new-strict-immigration-regulation-in-force-from-today/

Yingluck was removed as Prime Minister on May 7th due to a Constitutional court order with regard to abuse of power charges

New Prime Minister named 'Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan' started work on May 7th, it didn't last long, he was Prime Minister for 16 days until May 22nd.

The coup happened on May 22nd with the various announcements about immigration crackdowns and out/in visa runs being confirmed well before this date.

From memory and with no links or references I remember reading that the head of immigration who was in charge at the time of the above announcements was moved to an inactive role shortly after the coup - within the first few weeks.

To summarise : Crackdown on or before May 8th, Coup May 22nd.

Sorry, too lazy to look for my previous posts within ThaiVisa archives.

So I've just checked my stamps:

April 21st: I have been denied entrance at Suvarnabhumi airport.

Cleared on the same morning with a 30 days exempt stamp.

Mid-May, I went to to Phnom Penh and came back on 22nd with a single tourist visa.

Then, I did all my paperwork (banking & blah-blah-blah) to secure a Non-O.

Procedure happened to be (especially from my embassy) so slowy ; and me in the habit of living LOS since 2000 -for a week or so- on a monthly basis: I did the same (3x out of Thailand).

But those times with all proofs of paperworks in process, money, air ticket and even a kind of "laissez-passer' letter from immigration.

Useless actually because I have never been apprehended anymore either at poipet landborder or Don Muang airport.

A quick search of your 4 measly posts means I shouldn't be concerned about your opinion either. Read the news - Chinese and German tourists are amongst the top spenders. Anyway who cares what you think? Also, what's an opine? Care to translate?

I have a business to run and prefer to do that rather than trade insults with fools. Here you go...expand your vocabulary.

o·pine

ōˈpīn/
verb
formal
  1. hold and state as one's opinion.
    "“The man is a genius,” he opined"
  • Like 2

The first talk of the crackdown appeared out of Phuket on this forum on May the 8th : www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/724558-immigration-clarifies-phuket-visa-run-crackdown

So we know that whatever orders were handed down from higher up the chain came before May the 8th.

Then there was a clarification on May 10th : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725053-final-crackdown-for-border-runners-new-strict-immigration-regulation-in-force-from-today/

Yingluck was removed as Prime Minister on May 7th due to a Constitutional court order with regard to abuse of power charges

New Prime Minister named 'Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan' started work on May 7th, it didn't last long, he was Prime Minister for 16 days until May 22nd.

The coup happened on May 22nd with the various announcements about immigration crackdowns and out/in visa runs being confirmed well before this date.

From memory and with no links or references I remember reading that the head of immigration who was in charge at the time of the above announcements was moved to an inactive role shortly after the coup - within the first few weeks.

To summarise : Crackdown on or before May 8th, Coup May 22nd.

Sorry, too lazy to look for my previous posts within ThaiVisa archives.

So I've just checked my stamps:

April 21st: I have been denied entrance at Suvarnabhumi airport.

Cleared on the same morning with a 30 days exempt stamp.

Mid-May, I went to to Phnom Penh and came back on 22nd with a single tourist visa.

Then, I did all my paperwork (banking & blah-blah-blah) to secure a Non-O.

Procedure happened to be (especially from my embassy) so slowy ; and me in the habit of living LOS since 2000 -for a week or so- on a monthly basis: I did the same (3x out of Thailand).

But those times with all proofs of paperworks in process, money, air ticket and even a kind of "laissez-passer' letter from immigration.

Useless actually because I have never been apprehended anymore either at poipet landborder or Don Muang airport.

The whole thing seems to have been initiated by Immigration Commissioner Pharnu Kerdlarpphon as referenced here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/726721-thai-immigration-is-determined-to-prevent-abuse-of-visa-exceptions/

He's no longer doing that job since shortly after the coup. He also resigned from the board of the AOT along with the chairman and a few other board members but according to the SET website which may or may not be up to date he's still an independent director at the Srisawad Power public company.

Srisawad power isn't a power company, it's a finance company which is only notable here because it 'also provides home loans and loans for foreign workers'.

Edited by ukrules

These immigration rules are totally retarded by the way. We live in a world where everything is connected like your pc, laptop,... And they expect to see us to come as a tourist with a Mickey mouse t shirt and a Canon camera around your neck.(stereotype of a tourist), but this world has changed a lot since 1977, still immigration rules are based on old rules fixed by old guys who don't understand anything.

Did immigration knows what internet is? When they continue to stamp entrance cards! So instead to modernise the system, they prefer to change their mind all the time. "no back to back visa run , but tomorrow It s ok..., but in 3 days we want people get visa...Bla bla"

See what I mean? , these people at immigration are totally clueless because they still live in an old system.

No mad.......... get an Elite Card and become very quiet.

There's been a change of government since this was first announced, also the previous head of immigration who announced this 'crackdown' is no longer the head of immigration.

The previous guy in charge had his job changed just after the coup. I don't know why this happened but I'm pretty sure the order to do it came directly from the NCPO.

It looks like the new government has instructed immigration to end their crackdown. Common sense at last ? Maybe...

For a country that wants to attract more and more visitors, any kind of crackdown doesn't really make sense does it ?

If they take this to it's logical conclusion they should change the 3 month tourist visas to accomodate people who come to Thailand for a winter holiday so they can stay for the whole winter.

Don't they realise that a lot of people come to Thailand for a maximum of 60 days because that's what it says on the visa. If they issued 6 month long visas there would be a lot more tourists who come for up to the full 6 months.

There's no way in the world my mother would ever come here for more than 3 months because she would have to do a visa run and I know she wouldn't travel across the country, exit and then enter the country just for the sake of getting a stamp in her passport to stay for another month or two, she won't do it.

I wonder how many thousands of people cut their yearly winter holidays in Thailand short because they won't comply with the ridiculously short visas in a country well known as as place where people go for an extended winter holiday in the sun while it's cold back home.

It's ok for us younger ones to hop on a plane or 'run' across country to a nearby border but when you hit your late 60's and 70's the fact that this still applies is a bit much.

Maybe jumped the gun a bit getting the PE visa?

+1

absolutely right, you just have to look a the old threads on the elite sucker card, to realize how much it was denigrated in the past.

And now, all of sudden, to get a sucker card is the best think to docheesy.gif

wonder, what are the agenda of these people who give so sly advicewhistling.gif

Edited by Bender
  • Like 2

There are hundreds of thousands of people coming to Thailand for two month holidays?

Really?

Well I've been doing it for the last 10 years - staying in Thailand for between 3 to 6 months each time. I'm self-employed and can work hard in the UK summer to relax between November and May. I'm far from the only one, I'm sure.

I had a bunch of things quoted but I'm not sure what is wrong with this forum but if I take to long maybe it won't post them properly.

So here are my comments without the quotes to what I was responding to. Good luck...

"The point I'm making is : Thailand should be doing all it can to encourage these people to come for the winter by making it easy to do so. " <---- This comment is spot on!
---
Lots of places. Here in Canada its easily 6 months. Checked my weather app on my phone and its showing an overnight low of -1*C September 10th. That's par for the course, October will be cold and I guarantee snow before Halloween. March 1st will 100% definitely have snow on the ground and Maybe even into April. October, November, December, January(Brutal -40*C Cold), February, March are all definitely cold winter months.
--
Easily lots. I'm only on 3 weeks total holiday time at my job. That 15 work days. I was in Thailand for 28 days back in December/January by using 5 days from 2013 and 10 days from 2014. Quite conceivably I could have 3 weeks from one year and 3 weeks from the next year making 6 weeks and then another week for the Christmas/Boxing Day/New years holidays making it a total of 7 weeks. And I've only got 3 weeks at my company as holiday time. Next year I get 4 weeks and more senior guys in the company get 6 weeks a year. So very easily they could have 6+6+1=13 weeks total spread over the November to February time period.
As it stands now I would only plan to go to Thailand on the 30 day fly in allowance into the country. And I think that limit is quite stupid. I'd go for more probably if it wasn't a hassle. I'm not criminal and all I'm going to do when I'm there is spend a little bit of money at the restaurants, shops, barbers, Thai Massage (legit ones not the walking street type), etc. So why would Thailand have any rules preventing me from staying longer?
--
Completely spot on! I'm not going to go to some country for a vacation where its a hassle to fill out paperwork and a bunch of crap like that. I want to land, go spend my money, relax and fly home. And that vacation could quite possibly longer then 30 days.
Granted I don't know much about what it takes to get an O-A Visa. Can I get it on arrival and how much? Still a pain in the ass though. All I want when I arrive is for them to ask how long I'm staying and wave me through....and if I happen to overstay not give a shit that I stayed longer and spent a little bit more money.
--
Lots of casual tourists take two months holidays. Lots. Basically most of the people In my company could easily go for 4, 6, 8 weeks over the Christmas break and there are about 4000 people in my company alone. There are easily probably a Million Canadians that could take a 6 week vacation every second year if not every year. And that is just one country of 30 million.
--
By Winnipeg you mean "Winterpeg" right? At least that's what we call it here in Saskatchewan.
My aunt and uncle are snowbirds for years now. They go down to phoenix for like 5-6 months every year. They only limit their stay to 6 months less a day because that is the max out of time allowance to still qualify for medicare without an interruption in care. They'd probably stay for 7 months if it was allowed. Them very specifically would probably not go to Thailand but there would be a multitude of Canadians willing to go if they knew about it and it was easy.
---
This visa system is old and antiquated indeed. Even the names basically don't make sense. Like "O-A"...What the hell is that?
I'm an advocate for the freer movement of people though. Lots of people here seem to be nanny state loving, nationalistic, walls up, weirdos...
Edited by SilverBeast

whistling.gif No, it has not.

Much of the hysteria about what the actual "crackdown" was spread by those who did not read or understand what actually was being done.

Their never was a crackdown on tourist visas. Some of that was spread by tourists who spread rumors and talked about "facts" they didn't understand.

And to be fair, the Thai immigration was also slow to get the valid information to it's own immigration agents at the borders who thereby got the wrong idea of what the new rules were.

Not to mention that also the Thai consulates overseas where not given the correct information on a timely basis.

But that problem is resolving itself now, as all the parties involved are adjusting to the new rules.

As usual, the "crackdown" on valid tourists was more misinformation and hysteria than reality.

blink.png