Is the crackdown on repeat visa runners already fizzling out?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The crackdown is still in full swing.

Detention at Airport is still full.

People get refused at land border and being told to go to the nearest Thai Embassy to apply for Tourist Visa.

It's like a crusade.

For what are people being detained at Suvarnabhumi? Are they overstayers with no funds to pay the penalty to leave the country? Are they arrivals who are denied entry?

Are visa exempt entries being more closely scrutinized now at the airport? Do you know, is a history of visa exemptions a basis for denying a new visa exempt entry?

Is the Nong Khai border crossing relatively "safer" than other border points?

Thanks.

I have an S. Irish friend who came to LOS the beginning of the year on a 30 day visa exempt. Later came back again on a 30 day VE and has done 3 trips to LAO to extend his stay 15 days at a time. He is going again Monday for the forth whistling.gif , see what happens.

A mass exodus of dodgy so called tourists would not break my heart. Thailand already has far too many tourists (foreigners) causing various problems for the locals.

I keep reading about this utterly nonsensical 'Well, if they don't have the correct visa, they must be a bad'un'. the piece of shit farang I am presently pursuing through the courts is on a perfectly legit long term 'O' visa. Those farang 'who cause problems for the locals', ('problems' as yet unspecified on this forum, BTW), never have to bother with visas or visa runs w00t.gif . You really ought to get out more. huh.png

Edited by jpeg
  • Like 1

A mass exodus of dodgy so called tourists would not break my heart. Thailand already has far too many tourists (foreigners) causing various problems for the locals.

I keep reading about this utterly nonsensical 'Well, if they don't have the correct visa, they must be a bad'un'. the piece of shit farang I am presently pursuing through the courts is on a perfectly legit long term 'O' visa. Those farang 'who cause problems for the locals', ('problems' as yet unspecified on this forum, BTW), never have to bother with visas or visa runs w00t.gif . You really ought to get out more. huh.png

Just talked to a Norwegian oil worker who is in and out on 30 day visas. He went for the 30 day extension and they gave him a lot of hassle but reluctantly stamped him again. Not the type of spending expant you want to chase away but I guess they know better lol. He is considering other options.

• Like 1

Apologies for labouring the point on this issue, but was it a case of Immigration Officials merely jumping up and down over there being a new admin (aka army), and therefore zealously clamping down on already new visa regs sanctioned by the former PTP government, or not? This is somewhat important as it gives us an idea as to how things may develop pertaining to our status/ability to stay here in the future. Anyone?

Edited by jpeg
  • Like 1

Apologies for labouring the point on this issue, but was it a case of Immigration Officials merely jumping up and down over there being a new admin (aka army), and therefore zealously clamping down on already new visa regs sanctioned by the former PTP government, or not? This is somewhat important as it gives us an idea as to how things may develop pertaining to our status/ability to stay here in the future. Anyone?

Yes- i think a clarification is most important.....a verifiable one too.

It is my firm belief that the measures are promulgated on behalf of the new government. It coincides with several other measures swiftly brought in to clampdown on foreigners in general.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

I have an S. Irish friend who came to LOS the beginning of the year on a 30 day visa exempt. Later came back again on a 30 day VE and has done 3 trips to LAO to extend his stay 15 days at a time. He is going again Monday for the forth whistling.gif , see what happens.

He can now get a 30 day extension of his 15 day visa exempt entry at immigration.

He can now get a 30 day extension of his 15 day visa exempt entry at immigration.

Hmmmmm, don't know if I should tell him, he buys my cigs in Lao....laugh.png

Wot? No modz available to verify? This issue is a tad important you know. We could all do without the obfuscation/smoke and mirrors. Ta very much biggrin.png

• Like 2

I m a digital nomade and I make mega bucks on the Internet (sometimes when I m lucky) . There is no visa for digital nomade except the tourist visa.

Thai Elite visa still too much for your megabucks???

I wouldn't touch the "Thai Elite" visa regardless of my income.

Yeah, seems far to expensive to me. I'd be looking at a different country to go spend my money in instead...

• Like 1

I m a digital nomade and I make mega bucks on the Internet (sometimes when I m lucky) . There is no visa for digital nomade except the tourist visa.

Complete and utter nonsense.

Great opening post - aggressive and unsubstantiated. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So by bringing happiness back the people they ended up bringing fear to the people?

When you say "bringing fear to the people", do you mean bringing fear to foreigners who abuse tourist visas to work illegally in Thailand?

• Like 1

Yeah, seems far to expensive to me. I'd be looking at a different country to go spend my money in instead...

I thought that the question was about how to spend money in Thailand, not where else Edited by alyx
  • Like 1

So by bringing happiness back the people they ended up bringing fear to the people?

When you say "bringing fear to the people", do you mean bringing fear to foreigners who abuse tourist visas to work illegally in Thailand?

And the companies that employ them.

I'm sure with the reduced tourism and the reduction of people working because of this crackdown the economy will just be humming right along...

• Like 1

Because, maybe, you, already have a different type of visa allowing you to remain in Thailand without having to worry about tomorrow. Or simply do not wish nor plan to stay to enjoy the country for more than a couple of months at a time.

I doubt it is a matter of income: it is merely an option that some consider and others reject.

I should also point out out that there is no such thing as "Thai Elite" visa, as "Thai Elite" are, by definition, Thai Nationals and, therefore, do not have the need for a visa to visit and stay in the Kingdom.

You do certainly refer to the Thailand Elite Visa....which is just a name, not a social status.

Edited by alyx

Thanks JD. I enjoy your what-Thailand-could-do posts. Thai Foreign Business Act, Thai Alien Worker Act, Thai Immigration Act, Ministerial Regulations, Police Orders, etc. are just putty in your hands.

Well since the new government is not working as a full democracy... I think - as they have done already... significant changes can be made to all that you mention ... If the ruling few - see the light of change - it only takes making the modifications to make it happen... The reason changes were not made under old governments was the likelihood of endless debate, vested interests coming forth and grid lock on the issues... Little to none of that is in play now... For better or worse the current Thai government can literally make significant changes in all areas not just immigration... I posted one only yesterday on solid waste management ... another area where the evolving Junta could make lasting change for the better for Thailand... But will likely not unfortunately ... But Why not make suggestions for change - no better time than now compared to the last ten years. If serious change in the elements of immigration policy are not made now - the reform and evolving policy will never be made as Thailand goes back to Democratic government over the next few years...