Thai students want crackdown on booze, hazing

webfact

Students want crackdown on booze, hazing
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A students' network against alcoholic drinks yesterday urged Prime Minister General Prayuth Chan-ocha to act against college students' violent booze-involved hazing activities, while calling for the Education Ministry's clear regulations on the issue.

The call follows an incident in which a Pathum Thani technical college students' hazing rite reportedly caused a freshman's death on August 30. The network's 15 representatives submitted their plea to the Government House.

The group called for Prayuth to launch a probe and punish wrongdoers in this case as well as punish those selling booze to persons under 20.

They also wanted the Education Ministry to set up clear criteria for hazing ceremonies and assure parents they would not be violent or involve alcoholic drinks.

They called for police to follow up complaints about destructive hazing activities.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Students-want-crackdown-on-booze-hazing-30242413.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-03

Student group urges NCPO to seriously tackle hazing in colleges

BANGKOK, 3 September 2014 (NNT) - Representatives from a student networking group in Rajabhat Chandrakasem University have sent an urgent letter to Prime Minister General Prayuth Chan-ocha regarding student hazing.

Members of the group, led by Kevalee Srilaeng, were determined to resolve this problem following a case where a 16-year-old male vocational college student who was suffering from leukemia had died from a hazing ritual on August 30th.

He was a first-year student in the Pathum Thani Techincal College and was forced to perform humiliating and dangerous tasks by his senior classmates. Therefore, the group was determined to declare their stance against such practices to prevent similar tragedies from happening again.

According to Ms. Kevalee, the senior students have chosen to use physical violence to initiate the new recruits to get accepted into the crowd. However, she stated that there are many other ways for them to welcome their younger colleagues without the use of intimidation or alcohol.

Senior students who partake in these hazing rituals and companies who sell alcohol to students under the age of 20 should be held accountable, she said.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-03 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

it isn't the booze it is the behaviour which by definition can be both dangerous and humiliating. Blaming alcohol is, in my opinion, an excuse.

Even behaviour is a bit short.....lack of quality at the university.

Increase the level of education. My university had at what I studied an official drop out rate of 60%.

But 120-250 students started per year and 20-60 finished so the drop out rate must be much higher.

With that all the problem solve themself. Most of the idiots get sorted out fast. Only the people who are really interested in the topic remains. The remaining idiots sit somewhere with their nose in the books or else they get sorted out.

All that nonsense of uniforms, booze control, etc can be dropped......No one has time for it.

• Like 1

it isn't the booze it is the behaviour which by definition can be both dangerous and humiliating. Blaming alcohol is, in my opinion, an excuse.

Well must disagree somewhat, maybe its semantics but wouldn't you say the booze can be an added factor In the problem as it alters the perception and reasoning of those using the booze and can escalate what is a pretty mindless practice anyway to a increased level of stupidity.

Ban hazing and alcohol doesn't feature.

Ban alcohol and reduce the added level of stupidity with hazing.

Further, how many posters who have commented actually been on a Thai university campus and witnessed first hand the mindless and stupid antics undertaken by the majority of students. Without any first hand knowledge of what goes on for a couple of weeks in some cases, these posters are just sprouting nonsense and adding nothing to the discussion / problem.

• Like 2

Things tend to escalate more quickly when the self restrictions has been removed with the booze. That can cause stupid mistakes.

Well must disagree somewhat, maybe its semantics but wouldn't you say the booze can be an added factor In the problem as it alters the perception and reasoning of those using the booze and can escalate what is a pretty mindless practice anyway to a increased level of stupidity.

Further, how many posters who have commented actually been on a Thai university campus and witnessed first hand the mindless and stupid antics undertaken by the majority of students. Without any first hand knowledge of what goes on for a couple of weeks in some cases, these posters are just sprouting nonsense and adding nothing to the discussion / problem.

I worked at a very rural university and over the days that new students were due to arrive the area of the local bus station was thronged with students carrying banners showing their faculty. They sang and danced all day, no alcohol in plain sight and i'm not saying there was any there.

Arriving students were welcomed like long lost family and it all looked so nice.

The hazing went on later well away from prying eyes and of course the uni knew nothing about it.

I worked at a very rural university and over the days that new students were due to arrive the area of the local bus station was thronged with students carrying banners showing their faculty. They sang and danced all day, no alcohol in plain sight and i'm not saying there was any there.

Arriving students were welcomed like long lost family and it all looked so nice.

The hazing went on later well away from prying eyes and of course the uni knew nothing about it.

Of course the Uni knew nothing about it -- nudge, nudge - wink, wink

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1

Increase the level of education. My university had at what I studied an official drop out rate of 60%.

But 120-250 students started per year and 20-60 finished so the drop out rate must be much higher.

With that all the problem solve themself. Most of the idiots get sorted out fast. Only the people who are really interested in the topic remains. The remaining idiots sit somewhere with their nose in the books or else they get sorted out.

All that nonsense of uniforms, booze control, etc can be dropped......No one has time for it.

"Increase the level of education."

Absolutely correct and the only way to do that is to increase the quality of those who are in teaching positions.

"Increase the level of education."

Absolutely correct and the only way to do that is to increase the quality of those who are in teaching positions.

Well there is a lot of pressure on them to let the students pass. While I have doubts on the quality of those who teach, I don't think that is the complete story.

what is hazing?

Hazing is a form of abuse commonly found in universities where senior students force their freshmen colleagues to perform humiliating or dangerous tasks in order to "welcome" them into the university. It is done so that the new students (freshmen) can earn their place to be accepted among the crowd and to make them "know where they stand" in the social ladder. The Thais call this sort of practice Rub Nong Mai.

Personally, I don't condone any kind of practices like this. It should be banned throughout all schools and the ones who are responsible for the hazing should be punished by law.

• Like 1

15 members.... out of how many students? Can someone provide a photo of somebody launching a probe?

There needs to be a ceremony with a red ribbon, 3 huzzahs, and whoooosh....

Here's Tom with the news.

"Yes Mal, at 13.00 hours today, with a cocktail of various fuels, and the fanfare of a brass band, the probe was successfully launched and is now in orbit around greater Bangkok. Authorities are hoping this will put an end to stupidity nationwide"

15 members.... out of how many students? Can someone provide a photo of somebody launching a probe?

There needs to be a ceremony with a red ribbon, 3 huzzahs, and whoooosh....

Here's Tom with the news.

"Yes Mal, at 13.00 hours today, with a cocktail of various fuels, and the fanfare of a brass band, the probe was successfully launched and is now in orbit around greater Bangkok. Authorities are hoping this will put an end to stupidity nationwide"

You lost me....

my wife was n early drowned when she started uni because they threw her ivn a canal ev en though she told them she couldnt swim. Th f**kwits then stood around laughing at her as she started to go under, luckily she eventually made it to the bank but no one helped at all, they all thought it was funny, with the amount of water she swallowed attempting to save herself has caused major problems for her ever since.

These days they make the young girls perform fake oral sex on the boys, I know when our daughter goes to uni if they try that there will be major problems for the uni concerned as well as those that try to make her do anything untoward and I will make sure the uni knows before hand.

• Like 1

Can booze augment a situation? yes there is little doubt that it can. If however you were to get to the root cause of the problem it would not be able to. Remove booze and you still have the behavioural problem, remove the behavioural problem and you don't.