Good results from 'Thai Police in train' security project

webfact

Good results from police train security project
The Nation

30242415-02_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Thai railway police and police commandos are providing security to southern train passengers through a "Police in Train" campaign.

The campaign, implemented on the northern trains in the past two months, has yielded positive results; no reports of crime and passengers saying they felt safer, according to Police Lt-Colonel Torsak Sukvimon, acting superintendent of the commando unit of the Crime Suppression Division.

Announcing the campaign expansion to southern trains yesterday, Torsak said southern lines were most at risk of crime and two railway police and two commandos would be assigned to patrol southern line trains.

"We will evaluate the performance every 10 days and the campaign will expand to north-eastern line trains in future," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Good-results-from-police-train-security-project-30242415.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-03

Interesting that they put commandos with the police. Seems not too many have faith in leaving police alone to do what they should be doing. Hope we will see the day come when there is a modicum of trust in the Thai police force that military overseers will not be necessary.

• Like 1

Interesting that they put commandos with the police. Seems not too many have faith in leaving police alone to do what they should be doing. Hope we will see the day come when there is a modicum of trust in the Thai police force that military overseers will not be necessary.

They are police not military commandos.

What would they do without their smart phones? Might have to talk to each other?

Heaven forbid and most conversations would be over before they started.

If you don't get regular updates of Home and Away you might completely miss the plot-line, what there is of it.

• Like 1

What would they do without their smart phones? Might have to talk to each other?

Heaven forbid and most conversations would be over before they started.

If you don't get regular updates of Home and Away you might completely miss the plot-line, what there is of it.

I have it on cable but can't bring myself to watch it. I remember it from years gone past and the dialogue was... !

• Like 1

Once the panic subsides from the rape and robberies on trains the people will go back to taking any seat they can get. Given the rep of the police i would not think thai women feel any safer if alone with them.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Once the panic subsides from the rape and robberies on trains the people will go back to taking any seat they can get. Given the rep of the police i would not think thai women feel any safer if alone with them.

Given that passengers actually said that they did feel safer, what you think about the reputation of the police in a sweeping generalisation is irrelevant.

Bring back the beer on trains!

Another guy who must always have beer.

Belongs to the comfortable lifestyle of the neocolonialist. In the good 'ol days it would have been gin & tonic.

Always is a bit over the top, though. It's hard to sleep with a cold one strapped to your hand.

Given that passengers actually said that they did feel safer, what you think about the reputation of the police in a sweeping generalisation is irrelevant.

Given that i have had 2 friends raped by policemen here i would say your sweeping generalisation is irrelevant as well

Please explain. I haven't been on a Thai train for yonks but was thinking about doing the overnighter from Bangkok to Surat Thani in November. Standard operating procedure used to be a couple of settlers in that upstairs section at Hualomphong whilst waiting for the train, a couple of roadsies from the stalls on the platform just before the train leaves, some more settlers from the "bucket man" who does the rounds then off to the dining car for a proper drink and a feed. If I can't do that anymore, might as well just bloody fly down mate!

Please explain. I haven't been on a Thai train for yonks but was thinking about doing the overnighter from Bangkok to Surat Thani in November. Standard operating procedure used to be a couple of settlers in that upstairs section at Hualomphong whilst waiting for the train, a couple of roadsies from the stalls on the platform just before the train leaves, some more settlers from the "bucket man" who does the rounds then off to the dining car for a proper drink and a feed. If I can't do that anymore, might as well just bloody fly down mate!

You will need to fly. I also enjoyed a few beers before settling in but now no beer due to the rape and murder a few months ago. The guy who did it was an employee high on yaba and aparently been drinking as well so then banned beer.