Islamic State 'kills US hostage'

webfact

Islamic State 'kills US hostage'

(BBC) An Islamic State video has appeared which purports to show the beheading of Steven Sotloff, a US journalist being held hostage by the militants.

Mr Sotloff, 31, was abducted in Syria in 2013. He appeared at the end of a video last month which showed fellow US journalist James Foley being killed.

A militant in the latest video also threatens to kill a British hostage.

Mr Sotloff's family said they were aware of the video and were "grieving privately".

After Mr Foley's death, Mr Sotloff's mother appealed to IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi to save her son's life.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest said US officials were checking the reports.

The US has recently carried out dozens of air strikes against IS targets in Iraq.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-29038217

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-09-03

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beware all those countries that gave refuge to millions of Muslim people to live in their midst,

barbarian at the gates...... Syria and Iraq are not that far, and those returning ISIS combatants

will form terrorist cells in those countries, rational and the sanctity of life means nothing to them....

An old childhood friend who is in one of the nine Hazardous Area Response Teams in the UK has been training very hard over the past six months.

Now why would a paramedic receive tactical weapons training in an urban environment from men who work in Hereford?

He wouldn't say any more than that.

FROM MEN WHO WORK IN HEREFORD. Nice one mate

Any death is tragic...well almost any (nobody grieves Bin Laden for example), however in a very real sense, this is simply collateral damage.

To quote from the article, "This second execution video from IS is significant, even though it was largely expected and dreaded. ". Expected and dreaded. In response to further airstrikes. The US could have prevented it in theory by stopping the airstrikes, but of course couldn't in reality because they have to do what they feel they have to do.

It's the same thing as civilians in Gaza being considered collateral damage because the IDF knew some will die but did what it felt it had to do regardless.

When the Brit gets executed, it will also be collateral damage, and I am so sorry for that.

• Like 1

It's shame, it appears no matter whether they are in their own countries in the Middle East or countries around the world including Thailand, they appear to always want to take over, form their own country then expand. They call everyone infidel's and have no problem killing anyone who is not of their faith. I hate to generalize, but sooner or later a major confrontation will have to take place. It may be time to take them on now rather than later. If you follow the history of the Islamic state, they do this every couple of centuries until other people decide enough is enough.

Just who are the "They" we talking about now? If you are talking about Muslims they will soon be the largest religious group in the world, and if not already, they will be your neighbors soon.

• Like 1

It's shame, it appears no matter whether they are in their own countries in the Middle East or countries around the world including Thailand, they appear to always want to take over, form their own country then expand. They call everyone infidel's and have no problem killing anyone who is not of their faith. I hate to generalize, but sooner or later a major confrontation will have to take place. It may be time to take them on now rather than later. If you follow the history of the Islamic state, they do this every couple of centuries until other people decide enough is enough.

I thought this was an anti American rant until I reached the word "infidel's" I don't want to generalize either, but if we had stayed out of their countries we wound't be having these problems. when you go around the world bombing people, you have to expect a little payback.

If it makes you feel better, we have killed a lot more terrorist's, rebels, enemy combatants, and civilians than they have killed infidels, so I guess we must be winning.

Fortunately the majority of people who follow the religion of Islam are not extremist, terrorist, murdering nutcases. Anymore than Catholics were all supporters of the inquisition.

The terrorists and extremists thrived in the very low educated, impoverished, tribal based regions such as Pakistan and Afghanistan. Their access to funds grew significantly when the Russians invaded Afghanistan to save another communist utopia and the Taliban took them on. Since then, the spread of fundamentalism and extremism has been well evidenced and documented.

Do you think Islamic countries were all law abiding, peaceful, and never invaded anyone? Do some research, try the Ottoman Empire for starters and then go backwards and forwards.

A little payback - these scum murder and butcher innocent, unarmed people, in the most appalling ways, show no humanity or tolerance towards others and then claim they are doing God's work.

Western countries, in the most, showed tolerance and made Moslem immigrants more than welcome. How have they responded, by trying to oppose their culture, religion and laws on the host countries and some by committing foul crimes of murder,

Payback - sure. Where there are clear targets bomb the crap out of them and eradicate them. Take them out in the quickest most effective ways possible. Those do sub humans who murdered Fusilier Rigby in London should have been terminated. Martyr - sure for a few days.

• Like 1

Ever notice that this scum do not kidnap / kill the many Russians working and living in the mid east. Ever wonder why:

http://articles.philly.com/1988-02-26/news/26242928_1_islamic-liberation-organization-soviets-hezbollah

It was a while back but shows just how you need to deal with these cockroaches

I'm sure that Putin would also look after any Russian Federation citizens that were bullied, threatened or mistreated anywhere.

Wonder if we could rely on Cameron to look after the British in a similar way. He seems more occupied with finding ways to act illegally and unconstitutionally.

Ever notice that this scum do not kidnap / kill the many Russians working and living in the mid east. Ever wonder why:

http://articles.philly.com/1988-02-26/news/26242928_1_islamic-liberation-organization-soviets-hezbollah

It was a while back but shows just how you need to deal with these cockroaches

I'm sure that Putin would also look after any Russian Federation citizens that were bullied, threatened or mistreated anywhere.

Wonder if we could rely on Cameron to look after the British in a similar way. He seems more occupied with finding ways to act illegally and unconstitutionally.

. . . or the Chinese.

Muslims need to realise that if they do want to kill the rest of the world the rest of the world will want to kill them first. It's a problem.

• Like 2

Just who are the "They" we talking about now? If you are talking about Muslims they will soon be the largest religious group in the world, and if not already, they will be your neighbors soon.

My question is......what would they do if the whole world was Muslim?

Would there be peace?

This is sophistry no matter which way you look at it.

No there wouldn't be. Because then it's Sunni against Shia.

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

And if all the people were either Shia or Sunni, there still wouldn't be peace because there are still some people who are different colored than others. And if we could get everybody to be the same color then we would all have to speak the same language and then if there was peace, it would not be a very interesting life.

And if all the people were either Shia or Sunni, there still wouldn't be peace because there are still some people who are different colored than others. And if we could get everybody to be the same color then we would all have to speak the same language and then if there was peace, it would not be a very interesting life.

Neither interesting or very long for most.

I think Barbaric medieval murderous lunatics like these only understand one action against them.

Overwhelming decisive air power that obliterates them.

I think the time has come to use Bunker bombs and massive carpet bombings day and night , drones to the hilt and send in hell fire helicopters as a side liner to mop up those hanging around.

If needs be kill the lot .

• Like 2

We know what's going on, get the non combatant volunteers and Journos from the Western countries out. I wouldn't even send Jonathon Head there, no matter how tempting.

Yes, I am tempted along this line of thinking, as well. Then again, I do think anyone going into a war zone for their own reason (journalist job, leaving Bible in N. Korea) should not put American service personnel at risk by expecting rescue. Yes, we should be free to travel without losing our heads but we have to deal with the reality. If we withdraw all western journalists, don't we lose the ability to judge what is happening through the eyes of our culture?

I think Barbaric medieval murderous lunatics like these only understand one action against them.

I think the time has come to use Bunker bombs and massive carpet bombings day and night , drones to the hilt and send in hell fire helicopters as a side liner to mop up those hanging around.

While I agree, I remember also that carpet bombing did not stop the Vietnam War for the Americans and the Lao & Cambodian civilians are still paying for that ordinance.

• Like 1

While I agree, I remember also that carpet bombing did not stop the Vietnam War for the Americans and the Lao & Cambodian civilians are still paying for that ordinance.

If they had carpet bombed Hanoi it would have been over in a heart beat.

In words of Kenny Everett

"Round em up, put them in a field and bomb the b*stards"

I think the time for political and "diplomatic" circle jerking is over, they need to go in a get Jihadi "John" and his mates, bring them back to the UK and hang them off the walls of the tower of London or some other suitable public place.

I have a firm belief there is a solution to this ever escalating problem.

Large thermonuclear weapons...turn the entire region into green glass.

Wait a while till the radiation gets to a low level...go in & divvie up the oil.

• Like 2

I thought this was an anti American rant until I reached the word "infidel's" I don't want to generalize either, but if we had stayed out of their countries we wound't be having these problems. when you go around the world bombing people, you have to expect a little payback.

If it makes you feel better, we have killed a lot more terrorist's, rebels, enemy combatants, and civilians than they have killed infidels, so I guess we must be winning.

Your way would make sense save only for the fact that these people felt it appropriate to hijack several airliners half way around from their part of the world. Well, hijacking wasn't enough, so they slammed them into buildings such as the WTC and the Pentagon, while almost hitting the White house. In our country, that is called an act of war. How about yours?

Edited by slipperylobster