How Will Immigration View Intention To Overstay?

Andyfarquar

I would imagine you have some receipt or document that validates your story. I normally have copies of my passport, work permit and visas and 90 day report receipts. If you have anything like this I would go now and explain the situation and ask for advice other than that received from TV. Pretty sure they wont lock you up ha ha.

Ha ha indeed. wink.png I did the honourable thing once going to immigration with an almost expired stay and not enough time to make it out of the country. This was before you could get a cheap ticket online instantly, plus I had commitments for a couple more days in Thailand.

This was at the Bangkok immigration office, where I was swiftly redirected to a detention area. Mostly Africans in cages. It was there that they found out that my stay wasn't expired *just yet*. So was just told to get out of the country asap. So I did, was fined I think one day overstay, 100 or 150 Baht at the time IIRC, got a nice "Overstay" stamp in my passport and that was the end of it.

This was some time ago, though local police & bureaucracy hasn't changed all that significantly over the years. Also more recently there are many reports of the deep doodoo people are in when they are caught with an overstay anywhere else but a border crossing. Once at the border crossing you just pay the fine and are on your way in 5 minutes. But get caught elsewhere and it's no laughing matter.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Judging by the way the 'NO' camp (Better Together) have handled the campaign, using Alistair Darling (a Scot who's way too English for most Scots), a cynic might think that the British also want the Scots out.... I'm as English as it gets but Alex Salmond is way more convincing for me. I'd say let them go if that's what they want. I don't actually agree with nationalism at all but people have to choose their own path. Personally I keep my British Passport because I paid in all my life and will not relinquish my pension or my National Health benefits but I'm more in favour of being a 'World Citizen'.

Darling was (unfortunately) my MP for a number of years. He was actually born in England though he was educated in Scotland. In fact, he used to live in the flat I bought in Edinburgh's West End and it was not uncommon for me to receive phone calls for him for the first year or so.

When he was announced as leader of the "Better Together" campaign, I thought it was a big mistake - I just hope I'm wrong.

Re the OP's question. If your wife's and daughter's passports are not returned by the time they need to extend their permission to stay, I would go to Immigration and explain the position to them.

Alan

Edited by Eneukman

Strangebrew - Maybe if you read the opening post first, you might get a better gist of what's going on but thanks for the scaremongery anyway......

WinnieTheKhwai - I could tell from your earlier post that there was some personal experience in your advice and we've already decided that you have the right angle on this. You were lucky that you were not already an overstayer when you went to Immigration. Their hospitality doesn't sound very appealing.

Judging by the way the 'NO' camp (Better Together) have handled the campaign, using Alistair Darling (a Scot who's way too English for most Scots), a cynic might think that the British also want the Scots out.... I'm as English as it gets but Alex Salmond is way more convincing for me. I'd say let them go if that's what they want. I don't actually agree with nationalism at all but people have to choose their own path. Personally I keep my British Passport because I paid in all my life and will not relinquish my pension or my National Health benefits but I'm more in favour of being a 'World Citizen'.

Darling was (unfortunately) my MP for a number of years. He was actually born in England though he was educated in Scotland. In fact, he used to live in the flat I bought in Edinburgh's West End and it was not uncommon for me to receive phone calls for him for the first year or so.

When he was announced as leader of the "Better Together" campaign, I thought it was a big mistake - I just hope I'm wrong.

Re the OP's question. If your wife's and daughter's passports are not returned by the time they need to extend their permission to stay, I would go to Immigration and explain the position to them.

Alan

Cheers Alan, I'm sure that like you, Alistair Darling is a very nice guy and I think he was 'chosen to fail' by politicians even more cynical than I am.

As for your advice, I'm sure it's well meant and it is appreciated. However, WinnieTheKhwai and others here have had real experience that indicates it might be a serious mistake to own up to being an overstayer where the only legal recourse for the nice man in uniform is to lock you up... (oh yeah, and fine your ass). We're hoping the passports will arrive before that time comes but if we do have to breach the deadline, our intention is to go to the airport and pay the fine there, on our way out.

I have a friend who might be forced to overstay - sure bring them here when their visa is due for renewal and we'll take care of it....

I take your point though, everything said here carries no weight. I will lose nothing by asking directly about a situation that might happen.

• Like 1

Mate, your best bet, be an English gentleman. The chips will play out well.

In all the travels and living the world over, nothing is received more welcome, Good Manners.

Can you help me, Sir - Ma'am? Can I help you? May I?

Bon Voyage

la dolce vita

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd bring this thread up to date. We asked the UK embassy for advice and they told us to fill out a Passport Temporary Withdrawal form, renew our Thai visas and re-deposit our passports without any delay in our application. Job done, no overstay and no problem.

• Like 2

Just thought I'd bring this thread up to date. We asked the UK embassy for advice and they told us to fill out a Passport Temporary Withdrawal form, renew our Thai visas and re-deposit our passports without any delay in our application. Job done, no overstay and no problem.

Did you have to go to Bangkok to do this?