The Expat Divide...

villagefarang

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody knows the real reason most upcountry farangs avoid conversation with ones they don't know. They are avoiding that painful question - "so you were working in Buriram when you met Noi? Although the invention of internet dating has made an socially acceptable answer.

Silly and laughably pretentious post. 95% of guys in Thailand - - 99% is probably closer to the truth -- met their Thai girlfriend/wife in a bar or some other "hospitality" venue and everyone - - farangs and Thais alike - - knows it. That's right, you heard what I said.

If anonymously pretending on this forum that this doesn't apply to you makes you feel better, knock yourself out, but you're not fooling anyone.

I really have to chuckle when I hear guys running around claiming 'she was a waitress, a housekeeper, a cashier, a receptionist or the concierge.' Or saying she 'worked at McDonald's, 7-11, the cologne counter at Paragon, or the farmer's market' in order to explain how they met their girlfriend or wife. If you just listened to these guys you might be forgiven for believing a beer bar was the last place on earth a farang might meet a Thai woman. The next time you run into someone spinning one of these yarns, pay attention to their eyes. Usually they're eagerly searching your eyes hoping to find clues that you're buying their story.

People need to get a grip. Your grandmother may politely tell you she believes these cock-and-bull stories, but they just don't fly over here. You're wasting your time trying to concoct these stories. No one believes you, and if you don't realize this, it's high time someone told you the truth!

Repeat after me: 'I fell in love with a bar girl and I'm not ashamed of it!' Now, tell me you don't feel better.

unfortunately your numbers are incorrect.

I met my love in a grocery store. She wanted Som Tom but I wanted more.

• Like 2

The reality is most of my good friends I met way before I came to Thailand. If I was in Bangkok or Pattaya or Phuket sure I would be happy to have a chat and let someone piss in my pocket for a few hours, and I have met some great people in these places but they aren't what I consider good friends. For those of us that live in more remote areas.... well if you go out of your way to meet the local white fellas it's 50/50 maybe good blokes maybe idiots and in a remote location it's very hard to remove yourself from the situation once you have introduced yourself and beyond that there is nowhere to hide if said person turns out to be a goose. Just because we are both foreigners in Thailand doesn't presume we have anything at all in common I believe. Personally I have zero interest in meeting the local farang and have no need to, it's not why I moved to Isaan and I don't pine for the company of people with similar skin or English language abilities. I am fluent in Thai so have heaps of people to speak with and beyond that have a phone that roams and Skype and Line and all the other ways I can talk to my real friends who I am actually interested in talking to. Why should I or need to bridge this imaginary divide of which you speak? Doesn't make much sense to me IMO

Having that avatar, I'm surprised you don't want to stick together with your fellow whites.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=agent+bulldog+nazi&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=qakOVJKSFdPkuQShroKYDw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1146&bih=559#tbm=isch&q=pitbull+nazi

Ahhh Neeranam nice... way to go off topic but kudos to you. If I am not mistaken you used the same joke in a forum on here when we were discussing pit bulls. It was somewhat amusing then less so now. What surprises me more is your intimate knowledge of skinhead culture. My avatar is from a company in the US that sells merchandise for dogs and I am sure that they are as unaware as I was that this logo has been misappropriated. I am neither a racist nor a white supremacist. I just like the dogs. If you choose to make fun at my expense that is your right but seeing as it is coming from someone that knows nothing about me my family or my life personally I find it quite offensive. The problem with forums such as TV is that insipid, uninspired people get to make comments about people they know nothing about without fear of censure or repercussion. Suffice to say jovial as I may be the response may not be the same were you to make such accusations face to face. Cheers.

My apologies.

I've had a 12 hole Doctor Martin in the face before and don't want one again.

What's the company name?

No problem at all. Sorry to hear you got assaulted. I don't know if T.V. will let me post the names but one is pitbullgear.com another is cafepress who sell shirts, stickers coffee mugs and even baby clothes with exactly the same logo you can see here http://www.cafepress.com/outspoken101

• Like 1

I would think a reasonable thing to do if I knew the avatar i wanted to use was misused by a group already so that it could cause offence it would be better not to use it. If you want to put a picture of those sloppy affectionite dogs people call pitbulls I am sure you can find plenty that would not cause offence.

http://www.aplacetolovedogs.com/tag/pitbulls/page/5/

• Like 1

Maybe an accompanying question would be to ask why you use pretentious and convoluted language to ask such a simple question? Or is it just a way to show just what a superior bon vivant wordsmithing farang you really are?

Dr. Robert do you know Dr. Will?

Maybe an accompanying question would be to ask why you use pretentious and convoluted language to ask such a simple question? Or is it just a way to show just what a superior bon vivant wordsmithing farang you really are?

Some have the knowledge and vocabulary to write English in a correct manner. Others may have gained their education through some of the Murdoch publications which prefer to use page 3 for a picture which takes all day for them to read.

The English Language Divide...

Meanwhile, you ESL speakers on this forum, can turn to page 3 ...

What's with all the hatin', stalkin' and personal vendetta-ing?

Not taking sides here, just intriqued.

My guess is same bunch of old drunks who are basically stuck in unhappy lives.

If you have been around awhile you know VF is one of the truly helpful guys on the forum.

Although having lived here for decades he is not jaded & has many times given helpful advice or warm

greetings to newcomers myself included years ago

He even got a ton of flack back when he was posting beautiful photos of Chiang Rai.

Odd group his detractors facepalm.gif

Yet for what ever dysfunctional reason these types have....you note he does not feed their trolling.

Most of them were banned at one time or another & repeatedly reincarnate

as new users to throw more stones. Some have probably created new user accounts just for this thread as they lack the cojones to

say such with their usual forum names.

Sad to watch but one must accept there are such inhabitants here

Best to ignore them coffee1.gif

Spot on mania wink.png

• Like 1

It's interesting that you guys think that way. This thread is about a 'divide'.

According to your rationale, the best way to deal with people on the other side of the divide is to 'ignore them'.

Yeah, that'll work...

A question to the OP - do you nod/smile/speak to all foreigners: those of different race to farang? I mean Africans/Japanese/Burmese/Mongolian/Eskimo/Aboriginal or whatever. Do you nod and smile at Thais the same as farang? Do you feel the same disdain if any of them ignore you, if so why?

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

According to your rationale, the best way to deal with people on the other side of the divide is to 'ignore them'.

Yeah, that'll work...

You are assuming they qualify as "people"?

• Like 2

Yeah, that'll work...

Wow! Aren't you special.

Yeah, that'll work...

Wow! Aren't you special.

Special? Not sure but forgetful at times as I have not followed my own advice I guess ;)

But really?? I would think anyone with enough comprehension to turn on a computer & type

can easily see the difference between the negative mud slinging unhappy trolls I mentioned ignoring with their multiple logins etc.

& how that is completely different than what the OP was suggesting.

At no time did I see the OP say suffer fictitious internet fools gladly

Excuse me now while I take my own advice ;)

• Like 2

Everybody knows the real reason most upcountry farangs avoid conversation with ones they don't know. They are avoiding that painful question - "so you were working in Buriram when you met Noi? Although the invention of internet dating has made an socially acceptable answer.

Silly and laughably pretentious post. 95% of guys in Thailand - - 99% is probably closer to the truth -- met their Thai girlfriend/wife in a bar or some other "hospitality" venue and everyone - - farangs and Thais alike - - knows it. That's right, you heard what I said.

If anonymously pretending on this forum that this doesn't apply to you makes you feel better, knock yourself out, but you're not fooling anyone.

I really have to chuckle when I hear guys running around claiming 'she was a waitress, a housekeeper, a cashier, a receptionist or the concierge.' Or saying she 'worked at McDonald's, 7-11, the cologne counter at Paragon, or the farmer's market' in order to explain how they met their girlfriend or wife. If you just listened to these guys you might be forgiven for believing a beer bar was the last place on earth a farang might meet a Thai woman. The next time you run into someone spinning one of these yarns, pay attention to their eyes. Usually they're eagerly searching your eyes hoping to find clues that you're buying their story.

People need to get a grip. Your grandmother may politely tell you she believes these cock-and-bull stories, but they just don't fly over here. You're wasting your time trying to concoct these stories. No one believes you, and if you don't realize this, it's high time someone told you the truth!

Repeat after me: 'I fell in love with a bar girl and I'm not ashamed of it!' Now, tell me you don't feel better.

Usually they're eagerly searching your eyes hoping to find clues that you're buying their story.

What really pisses them off is, after telling your their convoluted story you start talking to their teerak in Thai.

I will give these girls their due, they will usually answer truthfully, it doesnt seem to bother them.

Seven words usually reveal the truth the reluctanct Romeo would rather conceal.

Jer gan tee nai, where did you meet?

Tee bar ka, in the bar, LOL.

Clueless is now pissed off that you are able to converse with his mrs in Thai, and she is happy enough to laugh and joke with you.

• Like 2

Some posters must be apoplectic at this point, with 63 likes for the opening post, over 10000 views, 254 posts and worst of all people saying they actually like me. How is that possible after all the cleverly crafted putdowns and insults? Surely people should have learned to hate VF by now.

Always carry your smartphone, so that when the local village bore chats you up and embarks on an extended monologue, you can say, "Oh, important message just in!" ... and just chat on Facebook or play a game. You'll be completely oblivious to his bragging/whining. He'll have learned a valuable lesson, if he's smart enough.

• Like 1

All these platitudes from someone who drove members away from one local forum right here on TV then reveled in their absence.

Expat divide, indeed!

I have never tried to get anyone removed from the forum and I wish the same could be said for those friendly souls who made fools of themselves in their relentless efforts to run me out of town.

Some posters must be apoplectic at this point, with 63 likes for the opening post, over 10000 views, 254 posts and worst of all people saying they actually like me. How is that possible after all the cleverly crafted putdowns and insults? Surely people should have learned to hate VF by now.

I'm confused. Is this thread about The Expat Divide or VF?

• Like 1

No. We don't like you, we pity you. Don't get the two mixed up.

• Like 2

I'm confused. Is this thread about The Expat Divide or VF?

You're the one who made it about me. Like you always do.wink.png

Edited by villagefarang

A question to the OP - do you nod/smile/speak to all foreigners: those of different race to farang? I mean Africans/Japanese/Burmese/Mongolian/Eskimo/Aboriginal or whatever. Do you nod and smile at Thais the same as farang? Do you feel the same disdain if any of them ignore you, if so why?

• Like 1

Also keen to hear the answer to this one.

• Like 1

Also keen to hear the answer to this one.

Only the third time he's ignored it.