The Expat Divide...

villagefarang

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair question but I might counter with, why not? Just thought I would cast this upon the waters and see if I could get a conversation started. Thinking about going for a mt. bike ride but waiting for some clouds to pass so I have a few minutes to kill.

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 2

Fair question but I might counter with, why not? Just thought I would cast this upon the waters and see if I could get a conversation started. Thinking about going for a mt. bike ride but waiting for some clouds to pass so have few minutes to kill.

well, to me I dont fret that other farangs think differently than me in thailand any more than in my home country. i dont try and broach the divide in the home country so why would that be different in thailand?

Then clearly this is not an issue for you and that is a good thing. I am not sure it is such a nonissue for all, but I could be wrong.

Fair question but I might counter with, why not? Just thought I would cast this upon the waters and see if I could get a conversation started. Thinking about going for a mt. bike ride but waiting for some clouds to pass so have few minutes to kill.

well, to me I dont fret that other farangs think differently than me in thailand any more than in my home country. i dont try and broach the divide in the home country so why would that be different in thailand?

Then clearly this is not an issue for you and that is a good thing. I am not sure it is such a nonissue for all, but I could be wrong.

i like the idea of the bike ride. no divide there

• Like 1

i like the idea of the bike ride. no divide there

except your bum crack and nads being pushed apart...

Edited by samran
  • Like 2

That was a well thought out article. Makes a change from the usual rantings on TVF.

Whether you fret about what other farangs think or not, the point is surely that as a foreigner in a foreign country, you naturally relate to other foreigners in a way that is different from what you do when surrounded by your own kind in your own country. Just a different expression of the human herd instinct.

Thank you and yes that is exactly what I was trying to do, diverge from the usual rantings on TVF.wai.gif
Except that you will have the replies to contend with which may be of varying quality.
  • Like 1

That was a well thought out article. Makes a change from the usual rantings on TVF.

Whether you fret about what other farangs think or not, the point is surely that as a foreigner in a foreign country, you naturally relate to other foreigners in a way that is different from what you do when surrounded by your own kind in your own country. Just a different expression of the human herd instinct.

Thank you and yes that is exactly what I was trying to do, diverge from the usual rantings on TVF.wai.gif
Except that you will have the replies to contend with which may be of varying quality.

I am used to that.

I am used to that.

And I thought all the martyrs were in the mideast.

• Like 2

Try this on for size: IMHO an ex-pat who's lived here for twenty years will know that farangs are farther away(as a people)from Thais than an expat who's lived here for ten years but the twenty year person will still be fooling himself to some extent but might know that that is necessary in order to survive happily here. In this regard, in this particular land, I think us farangs have a lot in common.

Edited by piersbeckett
  • Like 1