Woman arrested over 'WTO Buddha statue scam'

webfact

Religion......someone explain to me again, what it's good for. wai2.gif

It's called making money. All around the World people are being conned into giving away billions every year to 'Religion', when all they are really doing is filling the pockets of the greedy who found the very best way to extort money from the masses.

• Like 2

Ms. Wanrat also reportedly told residents that the construction would cost 320 billion baht.

If my math is correct, and I checked it twice, 1,000 workers earning 300 baht per day would have steady work for 2,922 years. That doesn't factor in the cost of the materials of course.

So what is your point then?

She falsely collects money by preying on Buddhists' beliefs, and Catholic priests falsely collect money from their parishioners every Sunday preying on those people's beliefs. The only difference is that the priests don't get arrested.

Edited by waynethor
  • Like 1

Anyone that believes the WTO would sponsor building a buddha statue, and one that cost 320 billion baht ($10 billion), and use an old lady to collect donations to build it, deserves to lose all their money.

To put this into perspective, $10 billion is like building 7 Burj Khalifa towers.......

people are dumb... but 320 billion baht, she certainly did aim for the sky, even Bernard Maddoff would be envious.

Edited by Time Traveller

Ms. Wanrat also reportedly told residents that the construction would cost 320 billion baht.

If my math is correct, and I checked it twice, 1,000 workers earning 300 baht per day would have steady work for 2,922 years. That doesn't factor in the cost of the materials of course.

I doubt she did accurate costings since it sees she wasn't going to build it anyway.

I feel sorry for those conned but maybe they should pay more attention to basic Buddhist teachings such as the 5 precepts rather than the temple / monk sideshow. I know there are no monks or temples involved but the idea of building ever bigger statues and temples starts there.

You forgot to factor in the inflation effect, that will reduce the build time somewhat biggrin.png

'Inflation effect' I didn't know it was going to be inflatable. Will it have a big basket underneath.? If they pump it up like the local mechanic pumps the tyres on the wife's Honda Wave it'll probably burst.