Thailand to offer 5 million baht of rice as aid to West Africa

webfact

Some of the posters comments are rather droll.

How about looking on the brighter side. There will be no little boats full of starving West Africans coming here if they get enough to eat at home. Well feed people are happy people..... facepalm.gif

This is a great humantarium offer that I would expect from any civilized, developed country. Thanks goes to the Thai taxpayers who will bear the loss revenues, stevedoring, and shipping costs. But this gift has some significant challenges to be meaningful.

On the foreign front. There is a growing problem of permanent ship crews refusing to go to African ports because of ebola. More practically, dry bulk ship owners are becoming increasingly concerned that if their vessels enter countries where Ebola is present, the next port of call may not allow their boats to dock.

On the domestic front. Thailand is behind on delivery rice sold to African distributors because of scarcity of migrant stevedors at Thai seaports. The recent perceived Junta crackdown on migrant workers had caused a massive exodus of migrant workers out of Thailand to the point that 50% of Thai stevedoring business have shutdown and unions are operating at about 20% manpower requirements. .

In other news. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/757191-panadda-says-78-of-thai-rice-inspected-are-inferior-quality/

We all know very well which rice will go to Africa.. wink.png

Do we really? Please tell us exactly how YOU know what will be shipped?

After the last government shipped a load of mouldy rice it seems to me that the military will ship the best quality rice if for no other reason it will gain good publicity in Africa and may result in extra sales there in the future.

Fortunately not everybody has a nasty mind like you seem to have.

Edited by billd766

Even Good News brings out the knockers, whats the matter with people!!

Good news? 5M baht from a Govnt, sending outdated and sacrificial rice... in a mood of posterity?

What would not be wrong with people if that it was a genuine offer.... ??

And don't forget who invested in West Africa... as an assailant on the run.

How do YOU know what rice they will send?

If the rice is contaminated in any way, it will be rejected at port of discharge. The WHO have their own inspectors for these type of Aid cargoes.

Good try Thailand but it won't work. I know inspectors who have already visited numerous warehouses - and they were only directed to the best - The conclusion was that all the rice seen so far is no longer fit for human consumption.

Thailand has gone from the Worlds top exporter of quality rice to 'if it comes from Thailand - don't touch it with a barge pole' The people responsible for this should be locked up for a very very long time.

If the rice is contaminated in any way, it will be rejected at port of discharge. The WHO have their own inspectors for these type of Aid cargoes.

Good try Thailand but it won't work. I know inspectors who have already visited numerous warehouses - and they were only directed to the best - The conclusion was that all the rice seen so far is no longer fit for human consumption.

Thailand has gone from the Worlds top exporter of quality rice to 'if it comes from Thailand - don't touch it with a barge pole' The people responsible for this should be locked up for a very very long time.

Yingluck will be lock up soon. After today's court verdict I hope.

Yingluck will be lock up soon. After today's court verdict I hope.

Please don't use Thai ship. Don't want to catch ebola and spread to clean healthy Thai people. Better still, use air drop so no contact possible.

Well Maybe the Generals could use the underused Zeppeliner ( http://www.airships.net/blog/thai-blimp-crash ) for the rice shipment? Another option is to put it on all the Rohingya boats arriving and push them back out to see after beeing loaded with the rice, one or two of them maybe make it all the way to W. Africa.

Edited by HiSoLowSoNoSo