Firefox ..

RedStain

Ive been reading this Forum with some considerable interest, and several times the recommendation to install Firefox ........Has come up.

As a relative newcomer to computers and a user of Internet Explorer ( ive not yet used any thing else) . Ive read several articles on Pro - Firefox web sites which sing its praises.

Could Forum members who have switched from being IE users to Firefox users please outline ( in not too technical terms ) their feelings and comments after switching , was it as good as you expected ..? And in your mind was it worth the effort in changing over, or was it in any way disappointing for you and in fact you decided switched back. To your original Browser..? (May be due to the intensive promotion of Firefox ) and not being what all the hype claimed it was?

I hope from forum members who have switched over to get some facts and genuine comments both good and bad about switching over to Firefox. . Being a computer newcomer with a new computer, I am very carefull in what I do / change/ download / so getting some first hand advice and comments should help me in my decision to … Switch or not to switch that is the question.

Thanks …….

Ive been reading this Forum with some considerable interest, and several times the recommendation to install Firefox ........Has come up.

As a relative newcomer to computers and a user of Internet Explorer ( ive not yet used any thing else) . Ive read several articles on Pro - Firefox web sites which sing its praises.

Could Forum members who have switched from being IE users to Firefox users please outline ( in not too technical terms ) their feelings and comments after switching , was it as good as you expected ..? And in your mind was it worth the effort in changing over, or was it in any way disappointing for you and in fact you decided switched back. To your original Browser..? (May be due to the intensive promotion of Firefox ) and not being what all the hype claimed it was?

I hope from forum members who have switched over to get some facts and genuine comments both good and bad about switching over to Firefox. . Being a computer newcomer with a new computer, I am very carefull in what I do / change/ download / so getting some first hand advice and comments should help me in my decision to … Switch or not to switch that is the question.

Thanks …….

Hi there,

You won't be able to uninstall your IE ...so if you ever feel that you don't like Firefox you can always use it and uninstall the Firefox....

Firefox in itself is a great Browser. i personally prefer Opera though . Firefox has tabbed browsing and this alone is already great. You have many different Themes to download and extensions to choose from. It is in fact much better than IE. There is another Browser/email client suite available (free also)that i use on my other PC which is called "Seamonkey" and i found this really nice too.

I know when you new on PC you don't know wat to choose, but it is the best way to try and learn the options available.

Good luck with whatever you choose from ...and Firefox should be a part of your choice,

rcm :o

Edited by rcm

When i got my PC a few years i ago. I used IE. But soon realised that its not the best. So i tried Firefox and it was great. Then i had a problem with it. But cant remember what the problem was. I switched to Opera and ther was no looking back. Why not have a look at Opera? But anything is better than IE in my opinion.

Firefox has better security than IE and outclasses it in functionality. Tabbed browsing is a great improvement. I also use Opera occasionally but find it a little blah. Very fast surfing though. On good thing about IE is you can double click and it remembers PW and logins. Firefox you have to start typing for it to remember.

I've switched to Firefox when I read about others praising it on here some months ago. I use it 95% of the time now. I only go back to IE to understand my messy bookmarks sometimes. Tab browsing is simply great.

Thanks …….

Hi Redstain

I sympathise with you as I also am not up to speed on computers but downloaded & installed Firefox so it must be easy!! and yes I find it a great improvement over IE as another poster mentioned you still have access to IE if reqd.

The big plus as far as I am concerned is that all the hackers etc worldwide seem to concentrate on IE so by using firefox your computer is less exposed.

Give it a try you have nothing to loose and it really is easy to load and delete if you are unhappy with it.

Good Luck TBWG :o

Thanks …….

Yes, try Firefox, it is much better than IE. And very easy to install. You can still keep you IE but you will never use it again... You only have to mark the Firefox as your standard or default browser and IE will be running idle.

Have fun!

Carlos Primeros

I have used FF for a long time now.. it's so much better than IE and provides a safer way to browse. Also there are many extensions you can get to make your browsing easier.

My advice.. download it and see for yourself.. you lose nothing by doing that.. and you may as well download the others that people have suggested also and try them.. see what suits you best.. it's not really a big deal .. it's just another piece of software..

totster :o

I'm a Firefox fan, but you wil hit the odd page that will not display properly with it.

Firefox has "extensions" - add on functionality that you download and install separately. One of these is called IE View. I strongly suggest that you install that one early on. If the page gives you problems with Firefox, just right-click anywhere and choose "View in IE". It will open with IE including cookies (I think) and log in information.

Peter

Thanks Guy's for the comments ...Please keep them coming ...ive a lot to learn

Thanks..............

I'm a Firefox fan, but you wil hit the odd page that will not display properly with it.

Firefox has "extensions" - add on functionality that you download and install separately. One of these is called IE View. I strongly suggest that you install that one early on. If the page gives you problems with Firefox, just right-click anywhere and choose "View in IE". It will open with IE including cookies (I think) and log in information.

There's actually a better one now called IE Tabs. This one allows you not only to open a link in a new IE Tab but also allows you to switch the rendering engine (IE/FF) of a current page by simply clicking a small icon at the bottom of the page..

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/

totster :o

I have used FF for a long time now.. it's so much better than IE and provides a safer way to browse. Also there are many extensions you can get to make your browsing easier.

My advice.. download it and see for yourself.. you lose nothing by doing that.. and you may as well download the others that people have suggested also and try them.. see what suits you best.. it's not really a big deal .. it's just another piece of software..

totster :D

By far the best feature of Firefox is being able to open a new page in a 'new tab' . Right click over a link you want to go to, click 'open in new tab', and load it whilst your still reading the current page....Brilliant.

After you've downloaded Firefox it doesn't look too differnet from IE. Add a few extensions from the tool bar. 'Fasterfox', 'No Script', 'adblock' IE tab ...and of course an RSS reader.

You'll never go back to IE :o

Geoff

Everyone is probably going to jump on me, but I prefer IE. The only problem with it is that it was developed my microsoft, which makes it such a great target for hackers and people who hate microsoft. I find it much more intuitative. It doesn't have tab browsing, but that will change with version 7. I switched to Firefox for security only, and only on my old computer because I cannot get any security updates from microsoft for the IE so I am very reluctant to use it anymore. I first tried Firefox with version 1.0 and hated it. I kept trying it and not liking it untill they finally came up with something I can use when they came out with version 1.5. My suggestion is to keep using IE as long as you can keep getting secuity updates from microsoft. This is just to let you know that there are other people in the world with other opinions. Your best bet is to try it, and if you like it, use it.

Firefox 2.0 Beta Coming This Week

Update comes as the browser continues to gain market share.

Robert McMillan, IDG News Service

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The first beta version of the Firefox 2.0 browser could be released as soon as today, according to a note posted to Mozilla's Web site.

This much-anticipated release will be made no later than the end of this week, and no sooner than Tuesday, according to developer meeting minutes posted late last week.

Developers have been playing with an earlier alpha release of the browser since late March, but this new beta release is expected to be tested by a much larger group of users. It also marks a further step toward the final release of what is being billed as a major update to the browser.

A possible version of the beta, called a release candidate, has already been posted. That software is available as a free download.

The new version of the free browser is expected to include an "undo close tab" feature that lets users recover after they've accidentally shut a tab window. A spell checker designed to work with Web forms is also in the works.

Gaining Ground

The update comes as Firefox is gaining share on Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

Firefox is now used by nearly 13 percent of Web surfers, according to Web analytics firm OneStat.com. That number is up 1.14 percent from May. In the U.S., Firefox has nearly 16 percent market share, but it is most popular in Germany, where it is used for nearly 40 percent of Web visits.

Internet Explorer remains the dominant browser, however, with nearly 86 percent market share worldwide, according to OneStat.com.

Firefox 2.0 Beta Coming This Week

The update comes as Firefox is gaining share on Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

Firefox is now used by nearly 13 percent of Web surfers, according to Web analytics firm OneStat.com.

That is pretty amazing seeing how probably 75% of users don't know there are possible alternatives to IE.

Peter

Popular techie opionion has it that IE is very buggy (unstable) and filled with security problems. MS are continually having to patch the thing. Outlook is the same. Both are considered bit of a security risk from hackers etc.

I changed to Firefox some time ago, and have always been very pleased with the program. I also use Thunderbird for emails - both programs free from Mozilla.

I also use TOR and Privoxy when surfing in unknown areas. TOR is an onion router (directs your surfing via a number of other servers), and privoxy strips out nearly all banners and rubbish. The down side is that TOR is very, very slow at times.

Anyway, for what it is worth I would change to Firefox and Thunderbird (or the other programs mentioned) rather than use IE or Outlook.

Good luck - the set up is very easy.

Johnd

When i got my PC a few years i ago. I used IE. But soon realised that its not the best. So i tried Firefox and it was great. Then i had a problem with it. But cant remember what the problem was.
The problem is that hardly any web page complies fully with the W3C standard, the international standard for coding web pages.

A good example is the web site of the Thai Immigration Bureau. On this page, in Firefox click on any link under “Required Documents” and you see what I mean. This problem is, however, very rare as all browser, including Firefox, are quite forgiving and can mostly guess what the author meant, some browsers better than others. Luckily, those rare pages that Firefox refuses to display correctly can be set in Firefox to reload automatically in IE.

The other side of the coin is that some pages whose authors took pains to make them fully W3C compliant do not display correctly in IE, because Microsoft deliberately included in IE many proprietary features that do not follow the international standard. Look at http://www.cityware.org.uk in both Firefox and IE to see what I mean.

--------------

Maestro

Thanks Guy's again for all your comments, please keep them coming ...

ive just noticed this article ....

Amsterdam - July 9 2006 - OneStat.com ( http://www.onestat.com/html/aboutus_pressbox.html ), the number one provider of real-time web analytics, today reported that Mozilla Firefox's browsers have a total global usage share of 12.93 percent. The total usage share of Mozilla Firefox increased 1.14 percent since May 2006. The total global usage share of Internet Explorer is 83.05 percent which is 2.12 percent less than at the of May.

"It seems that the global usage share of Mozilla Firefox starts to grow rapidly again after a period of no growth" said Niels Brinkman, co-founder of OneStat.com.

The most popular browsers on the web are:

July 2006

1. Microsoft IE 83.05%

2. Mozilla Firefox 12.93%

3. Apple Safari 1.84%

4. Opera 1.00%

5. Netscape 0.16%

The most popular browsers in the USA are:

July 2006

1. Microsoft IE 79.78%

2. Mozilla Firefox 15.82%

3. Apple Safari 3.28%

4. Opera 0.81%

5. Netscape 0.20%

The most popular browsers in Canada are:

July 2006

1. Microsoft IE 80.98%

2. Mozilla Firefox 14.58%

3. Apple Safari 2.82%

4. Opera 1.30%

5. Netscape 0.14%

The most popular browsers in the UK are:

July 2006

1. Microsoft IE 86.23%

2. Mozilla Firefox 11.65%

3. Apple Safari 1.30%

4. Opera 0.53%

5. Netscape 0.15%

The most popular browsers in Australia are:

July 2006

1. Microsoft IE 69.35%

2. Mozilla Firefox 24.23%

3. Apple Safari 1.31%

4. Opera 4.69%

5. Netscape 0.26%

The most popular browsers in Germany are:

July 2006

1. Microsoft IE 55.99%

2. Mozilla Firefox 39.02%

3. Opera 2.78%

4. Apple Safari 1.73%

5. Netscape 0.30%

The most popular browsers in France are:

July 2006

1. Microsoft IE 85.52%

2. Mozilla Firefox 11.86%

3. Apple Safari 1.74%

4. Opera 0.52%

5. Netscape 0.16%

The most popular browsers in Italy are:

July 2006

1. Microsoft IE 75.67%

2. Mozilla Firefox 20.41%

3. Opera 1.96%

4. Apple Safari 1.74%

5. Netscape 0.43%

The most popular browsers in Belgium are:

July 2006

1. Microsoft IE 83.47%

2. Mozilla Firefox 13.92%

3. Apple Safari 1.52%

4. Opera 0.88%

5. Netscape 0.15%

The most popular browsers in the Netherlands are:

July 2006

1. Microsoft IE 85.38%

2. Mozilla Firefox 12.19%

3. Apple Safari 1.48%

4. Opera 0.74%

5. Netscape 0.13%

I am putting together some firefox questions and will post them , that puzzle me and hope you guy's can help

............ Thanks ............. Mypenry

HI Totster,

Ive not as yet tried it, one of my past problems ( being a Computer Newbie ) was with un installing a programme and finding some parts of the programme were still left on my computer, causing some problems, So I am now careful in just what I download , I want to learn just a bit more about Firefox , and just in case and about ... ( the un install Conscquensies !! ) of removing it from my new computer should I need to ...

Thanks .......... mumbo jumbo

Still trying to get the low down on Firefox, just read this article...

Firefox 2.0 Beta 1 Is No Slam-Dunk

at http://www.baselinemag.com/article2/0,1397...3129TX1K0000628

just thought its intresting to get different views..?

Thanks ................ MUMBO

Go for it Mumbo...it won't bite !! :ohttp://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Anyone know to download the beta 2.0 version? The web site makes no mention of it.

Hi geoffphuket,

I think this is the download site for beta 2.0 version......

http://www.download.com/Mozilla-Firefox/30...987.html?tag=bc

sorry but I am a wimp when it comes to downloading any thing !!! and the download site says .... Note:...... Beta or prerelease software is not intended for inexperienced users, So can you try the above first , and let me know how you get on ....... Ha Ha ..

Thanks ..... Mumbo ( the wimp )