Thailand warned to brace for more as floodwaters recede

webfact

Kingdom warned to brace for more as floodwaters recede
The Nation

30242479-01_big.jpg?1409786549436

BANGKOK: -- As Thailand's seven provinces suffered from flooding that has killed eight persons so far, the weather bureau yesterday urged people in the North, the Northeast, the East and the South West Coast to brace for more heavy rains up to September 9.

The Meteorological Department said the monsoon trough that hovered across the North and the Northeast earlier this week would remain while the stronger southwest monsoon prevailed over the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand. Hence scattered to fairly widespread rain was expected over the entire country and isolated heavy rain in the North, the Northeast, the East and the South West Coast. Waves with a height of about two metres would be found in the Andaman Sea, so all shipping should proceed with caution.

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department yesterday reported that Phichit, Nakhon Sawan, Nakhon Ratchasima, Phitsanulok, Phayao, Tak and Maha Sarakham provinces were suffering from flooding and eight people had died. In Nakhon Sawan's Pai Salee district, a flash flood yesterday inundated 1,000 rai of farmlands and damaged roads in four villages. In Phayao's Dok Kham Tai district, the flood-hit Dok Kham Tai Wittayakhom School remained closed as the school buildings were under one-metre-deep floodwater, and some teaching materials were damaged.

Days of heavy rains caused forest runoffs to hit residential houses, farmlands and rural roads in tambon Ban Kaeng of Sukhothai's Sri Satchanalai district yesterday morning. State officials provided help to some 100 affected families.

In Lampang's Muang district, 200 homes in four villages of tambon Ban Kha were hit by a flash flood at 3am but the one-metre-deep water had receded by the afternoon so residents cleaned their homes with help from Tambon Ban Kha Administrative Organisation officials and water tank trucks.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Kingdom-warned-to-brace-for-more-as-floodwaters-re-30242479.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-04

Well here in Pattaya we have " no flooding " yesterday was absolutely gorgeous weather! ( and today so far...) Perfect beach weather at the moment for myself and the rest of " The Suntan Crew " (are you looking a bit peaky viewers..?) The only " flooding problem at the moment is with " Jellyfish " ( big scary things that sting like hell... )

See you on the beach viewers!

Farang Jaidee wub.png x

• Like 1

I was lead to believe that Yingluck Shinawatra's Flood mitigation programme would solve all this problem, quite obviously there wasn't the input and management skills applied , just hot air evaporating over Asia. bah.gif

The flood mitigation program Phase III of the King's Master Plan of 1986(JICA) and AIT/Crown Property Bureau 2000, would have mitigated the flooding and have prevented Bangkok flooding in 2011. This was stopped in 2006 by the political problems against the Thaksin led Government who were in the process of awarding contracts to carry out the work. Although eventually the Democrats took over for 3 years, they did not go ahead with the flood prevention program despite Bangkok flooding in 2010. The Democrat Government finished on the 5th August 2011 when the great Bangkok flood was already starting. Yingluck took over on the 5th August and was immediately blamed for not doing anything about stopping Bangkok flooding.

In 2013 when the revised King's Master plan was ready for tender, the opposition clamoured for the removal ot the Yingluck led Pheu Thai Government and this led to the major flood prevention works being put on hold. So do not blame Yingluck, blame the opposition. I am hoping that the New Government led by General Prayuth will go ahead with the flood prevention works as already designed and not get fooled into more delays by the various parties who want to jump on the gravy train and push for yet another redesign, and more EIAs when the Kings' Master Plan has already been approved.

Yes although I do seem to remember Yingluck claiming there would be no flooding this year I don't think you can blame just the last government for the problems as this is a long standing situation. I seem to remember Yingluck and Abhisit working together at that time.

There were problems with the PTP plans apart from the obvious corruption ones in that the environmental studies hadn't been done properly and there seemed to be some rigging of local meetings that took place. The environmental impact needs to be taken into account or we could end up just as badly off again. My worry is the military will just go ahead regardless.

There's never going to be a perfect solution but any improvement should be welcomed. I would have thought that clearing and repairing the current drainage might help a bit plus taking steps to avoid future blockages. I've seen the way it's done near me where the drainage is cleared out. A lot of it is the usual plastic bags, which is then put down by the side of the road and then gets washed back again. I'm not even sure if the drains actually go anywhere.

• Like 2

yes rainy season is still on, for two more months, it won't be the last time we hear this.Is this helping the reservoir levels that are reported to be very low?

Is this having any effect on those reservoirs that were reported to be very low.

Edited by kimamey

I was lead to believe that Yingluck Shinawatra's Flood mitigation programme would solve all this problem, quite obviously there wasn't the input and management skills applied , just hot air evaporating over Asia. bah.gif

Unfortunately she was sacked before she can implement the scheme.

Where are the sandbag builder army boys when we need them?

Thai north still flooded; damages rising with water level
By Digital Content

14098080859583-640x390x1.jpg

SUKHOTHAI, Sept 4 -- The water level in the Yom River remains critically high, where the water has eroded the river banks and broken through its banks, flooding two districts in Sukhothai province.

The rushing waters eroded 15 metres of Yom River embankments in Sukhothai, where the over 200 household have already been flooded and farmlands submerged.

Local residents were urgently moving belongings including farming tools to higher and safer locations.

Floods also overflowed Road Number 1195 linking Sukhothai and Wang Mai Khon, covering more than 300 metres of roadway.

Meanwhile, Pichit province is flooded from the Phetchabun mountains, overflowing Klong Dai Chum Saeng canal, intruding into over 100 households in the area, where local villagers moved their belongings to higher ground and are now using boats as transportation.

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office of Phayao province, in the meantime, has reported the damages caused by the current flood in the province from Friday through yesterday that 4,082 families have been affected, impacting more than 15,000 people.

Preliminary estimates of agricultural damages stood at at least Bt100 million, though the figure is not yet confirmed. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-09-04

Unfortunately she was sacked before she can implement the scheme.

Where are the sandbag builder army boys when we need them?

hahahahaha yes she was stopped from ripping another financial hole in the countries coffers,i suggest you re-read why it was stopped..then you might change the word..unfortunately...

The flood mitigation program Phase III of the King's Master Plan of 1986(JICA) and AIT/Crown Property Bureau 2000, would have mitigated the flooding and have prevented Bangkok flooding in 2011. This was stopped in 2006 by the political problems against the Thaksin led Government who were in the process of awarding contracts to carry out the work. Although eventually the Democrats took over for 3 years, they did not go ahead with the flood prevention program despite Bangkok flooding in 2010. The Democrat Government finished on the 5th August 2011 when the great Bangkok flood was already starting. Yingluck took over on the 5th August and was immediately blamed for not doing anything about stopping Bangkok flooding.

In 2013 when the revised King's Master plan was ready for tender, the opposition clamoured for the removal ot the Yingluck led Pheu Thai Government and this led to the major flood prevention works being put on hold. So do not blame Yingluck, blame the opposition. I am hoping that the New Government led by General Prayuth will go ahead with the flood prevention works as already designed and not get fooled into more delays by the various parties who want to jump on the gravy train and push for yet another redesign, and more EIAs when the Kings' Master Plan has already been approved.

Yes although I do seem to remember Yingluck claiming there would be no flooding this year I don't think you can blame just the last government for the problems as this is a long standing situation. I seem to remember Yingluck and Abhisit working together at that time.

There were problems with the PTP plans apart from the obvious corruption ones in that the environmental studies hadn't been done properly and there seemed to be some rigging of local meetings that took place. The environmental impact needs to be taken into account or we could end up just as badly off again. My worry is the military will just go ahead regardless.

There's never going to be a perfect solution but any improvement should be welcomed. I would have thought that clearing and repairing the current drainage might help a bit plus taking steps to avoid future blockages. I've seen the way it's done near me where the drainage is cleared out. A lot of it is the usual plastic bags, which is then put down by the side of the road and then gets washed back again. I'm not even sure if the drains actually go anywhere.

not to mention the locals who use drains to dump their rubbish... must seem like a good idea in the dry season...

• Like 1

By crikey this the first i heard of this

there is a plan and it hasn't been acted upon

thanks mate as I was getting disenchanted.

For those in Bk let me tell u that it has been raining a lot in the North, the North east and other areas so the water is coming to Bk soon. And it will be deep.

So get your boats out in the river to push that water out'

• 7 months later...

Take the prisoners out of the prisons, give them a shovel and make them dig a flood way around the city.

Just after the 2011 flood the moo baan committee arranged for prisoners to clean out the drains. Cost 30k baht. Not sure who the money went to.