Google Translate Android app is awesome

lapd

Seems to keep getting better. You speak the english word into it and it will output the Thai word in Thai script and also speak the Thai word. Seems to work quite well.

Often times I am trying to use an English word that a Thai does not understand which I don't know the Thai word for so out comes the phone and I just speak the word in english. If it's in a noisy area I just show them the phone and they read the Thai script. Very useful.

It also allows you to go the other way which I think is a relatively recent addition. Have not had much luck with that direction though. It could be my bad tone of the Thai words. Have not gotten a Thai to use it yet to see if it's more accurate when spoken properly.

Edited by lapd

It makes sense that Google would make improvements to Android. But it still is horrendous on Chrome on my iPad, MacBook Pro, and Vaio Vista Home Professional.

For the iPad, I use a translator called TableTalk by sayHi. It uses a split screen, and you can flip one of those screens end-to-end, set it down on a table, and have a realtime talk with someone as the machine translates for you. It has to be online to do this, but the end result is amazing. It rarely makes errors, and most of those are actually correct in government Thai but not in Isaan Thai. Close enough, though.

It was a free app when I got it a couple of years ago, and they keep making upddates. The vocabulary is huge, and the grammar is almost always spot on, Thai-Engllish and English-Thai.

It makes sense that Google would make improvements to Android. But it still is horrendous on Chrome on my iPad, MacBook Pro, and Vaio Vista Home Professional.

For the iPad, I use a translator called TableTalk by sayHi. It uses a split screen, and you can flip one of those screens end-to-end, set it down on a table, and have a realtime talk with someone as the machine translates for you. It has to be online to do this, but the end result is amazing. It rarely makes errors, and most of those are actually correct in government Thai but not in Isaan Thai. Close enough, though.

It was a free app when I got it a couple of years ago, and they keep making upddates. The vocabulary is huge, and the grammar is almost always spot on, Thai-Engllish and English-Thai.

Can you give us a link to this TableTalk by sayHi app as I am trying to find it but cannot? Thanks

Can you give us a link to this TableTalk by sayHi app as I am trying to find it but cannot? Thanks

My bad, it's actually called TableTop by SayHi. It's for iPad, found in th App Store. That's what I get for answering in the wee hours of the morning. -sorry.

Google Translate does exactly the same thing. Flipping back and forth with a split screen so you can theoretically have a conversation. You can download the library so that it works offline but the audio portion only works while online. Think online has a much larger library which only makes sense.

That SayHi app is only available for iOS which I will never use. If they ever do something for Android I'll give it a try.

Edited by lapd