The Fattening of Thailand

webfact

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just calorie numbers isn't nearly enough.

There needs to be clear and graphic warnings about the specific health consequences of the processed products that contain high levels of the offending ingredients.

Understandable to uneducated/non food health aware people.

Similar (but obviously not exactly the same) to what's on cigarettes.

If manufactures agree to produce products without those problems, the warnings go away.
For products aimed at kids, the warnings should be focused to kids and their parents.

Edited by Jingthing

There needs to be clear and graphic warnings about the specific health consequences of the processed products that contain high levels of the offending ingredients.

If manufactures agree to produce products without those problems, the warnings go away.

For products aimed at kids, the warnings should be focused to kids and their parents.

The problem with bans and warning labels is that there is no consensus of what is good or bad. Insights change constantly. For example on alcohol use. Or look at this thread; most agree that sugar is not good, but on fat the opinions differ. So who decides what is good for you? The same governments that decided saturated fats were the problem and subsequently 'forced' manufacturers to reduce saturated fat and compensate with increase of use of sugar (or worse corn syrup) and transfats?

• Like 1

The problem with bans and warning labels is that there is no consensus of what is good or bad. Insights change constantly. For example on alcohol use. Or look at this thread; most agree that sugar is not good, but on fat the opinions differ. So who decides what is good for you? The same governments that decided saturated fats were the problem and subsequently 'forced' manufacturers to reduce saturated fat and compensate with increase of use of sugar (or worse corn syrup) and transfats?

Knowledge progresses. Just because mistakes were made before doesn't translate into any rationality to do nothing. Not when the economics and human cost of obesity have become so severe in some countries, and headed there in others (Thailand). Again, not talking about any bans except for transfats as an INGREDIENT in manufactured products/chain restaurant meals.

I agree, Gulfsailor. I notice there is now a resurgence in the use of pure, virgin coconut oil in the West. For many years coconut oil has been villified because of its highly saturated fat content and the association of saturated fats with obesity. This view is gradually changing.
Now, I'm not claiming that all the health benefits listed in the following link are proven. http://coconutoil.com/ More research needs to be done, and one has to expect that any business that promotes a particular food for profit, is likely to exaggerate the benefits.
However, one interesting benefit that appears counter-intuitive on the face of it, is the claim that consumption of coconut oil actually promotes weight loss by helping to boost metabolism. Things are not always as they appear.
The major contributing factor to obesity is the activity of eating for pleasure. Cooking programs on TV, and recipe books in general, are very popular because they cater to this pleasure. Most people are concerned only about the appearance of food, the taste of food and the cost of food. Nutritional value comes last. That's the problem.
The food processing industry is huge. They're in business to make a profit, and as we all know, one makes a profit by encouraging demand for one's product. Some of these industries employ highly qualified scientists to experiment with various combinations of ingredients in an attempt make their processed food as delicious and as irresistable as possible. I get a sense of this when I occasionally tuck into a bowl of ice cream, like Rum and Raisin. It's so tasty. I feel if I wasn't concerned about my health I would just keep on eating it until I was bloated. I can understand (to a degree) why Marlon Brando would sometimes get up in the middle of the night to feast on ice cream from the fridge. It's a sensual pleasure, perhaps akin to the pleasures of sex.
  • Like 2

I agree, Gulfsailor. I notice there is now a resurgence in the use of pure, virgin coconut oil in the West. For many years coconut oil has been villified because of its highly saturated fat content and the association of saturated fats with obesity. This view is gradually changing.

Now, I'm not claiming that all the health benefits listed in the following link are proven. http://coconutoil.com/ More research needs to be done, and one has to expect that any business that promotes a particular food for profit, is likely to exaggerate the benefits.

However, one interesting benefit that appears counter-intuitive on the face of it, is the claim that consumption of coconut oil actually promotes weight loss by helping to boost metabolism. Things are not always as they appear.

The major contributing factor to obesity is the activity of eating for pleasure. Cooking programs on TV, and recipe books in general, are very popular because they cater to this pleasure. Most people are concerned only about the appearance of food, the taste of food and the cost of food. Nutritional value comes last. That's the problem.

The food processing industry is huge. They're in business to make a profit, and as we all know, one makes a profit by encouraging demand for one's product. Some of these industries employ highly qualified scientists to experiment with various combinations of ingredients in an attempt make their processed food as delicious and as irresistable as possible. I get a sense of this when I occasionally tuck into a bowl of ice cream, like Rum and Raisin. It's so tasty. I feel if I wasn't concerned about my health I would just keep on eating it until I was bloated. I can understand (to a degree) why Marlon Brando would sometimes get up in the middle of the night to feast on ice cream from the fridge. It's a sensual pleasure, perhaps akin to the pleasures of sex.

I agree and I would add that the pleasure of eating is to do with the release of feel good chemicals in the brain.

These feelings are addictive and as you said, the manufacturers know it and work hard to make their products as irresistible (addictive) as possible.

I believe that eating is controlled by hormones as well as addiction.

About transfats, in the quest to reduce so called harmful fats like butter, they needed to make cheap oils turn solid at room temperature and they did this by heating and adding hydrogen but it became a transfat.

Another mistake of the low fat regime. I am not aware of transfats being found in nature so there is no place for them in the food chain. They should be banned.

About education and choices.

Yeah, right!

The warnings on cigs have not stopped millions from smoking, but advertising them has been banned and they are no longer depicted as a cool thing to do in films, but still people start smoking!

Food is essential for life, adulterating it with chemicals to increase the shelf life should be banned!

We read on TVF that many Thai vendors use formaldehyde to make food appear fresh - this is banned and they still try to get away with it, even though they get sick themselves.

Money is the root of all evil.

Now that we have understood the error in going high carb and low fat the world needs to change its ways pronto but with the differences of opinion who should we trust?

Rob is correct, no one forced me to change. With knowledge and observation I now make better choices than I did before but, it has taken me a lifetime to achieve this knowledge, to see through the lies told through advertising etc.

Unfortunately, the big companies will not make changes voluntarily if it may hurt their profit.

Only legislation is likely to work.

Taxation policy (incentives and penalties) can also be used. It has worked in reducing demand for ciggies and booze. Sometimes it's irrational. Like penalizing wine. Nobody said there is a perfect solution but I don't think societies doing nothing beyond lectures is going to ever cut it.

Coconut oil is not a TRANSfat.

There are some substances known to cause obesity related disease (largely heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, cancer). That doesn't mean necessarily having none. But too much is a problem.

Processed foods

Processed meats

Especially processed red meats

Sugars

Corn syrup sugars

Sadly even artificial sweeteners are linked to obesity

White rice, white bread, etc.

I agree there are healthy fats that promote healthy weights and so does mainstream nutrition science these days.

Especially nuts and avocados.

It's not as hard to identify the culprits as people think.

The details of public policy -- yes, that is hard.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Genetically altered by unwelcome Farangs !

Can we put you down for contributing your fat genes, as well as lowering their IQ?

Can we put you down for a charisma bypass...... Or just put you down altogether ?

Troll.

You post nonsense on the "I drink too much forum" saying basically its not an illness, and make jokes about obesity issues.

Out to cause disruptions.

I changed my view on transfats they should be banned. As long as you got a government paying for health care they can ban the real bad stuff as else everyone pays the price. Previously i thpught about myself as i have private health care but majority of Thais dont.

I was just against banning in general as the good then always suffer because of the weak / bad.

But on this topic it still is about helping yourself not waiting for others and bling them.

The remark that many live to eat and that everything needs to taste good is so true and you see it how they are shaped.

• Like 1