A Falang doctor in CM?

jaideeguy

Dr Morgan, trained overseas. A great many expats go to her.

She's in Hang Dong Rd.

Also has a mini pharmacy at the practice and saves you finding a pharmacy.

Sriphat hospital is the University Teaching Hospital, and the medical staff there are extremely good in a number of specialities.

Given so many excellent English speaking Thai doctors practicing in and around Chiang Mai, why any need to seek out a Farang doctor?

There are some good doctors here, but his request is reasonable. He may not want to deal with possible shenanigans.

About two years ago, my girlfriend was waking up with fluid in her ears. Multiple Thai ENT doctors couldn't figure it out. Two of them actually suggested she was making it up because her ears were dry by the time she saw them. We visited one ENT doctor while in Singapore and he sorted her out. He said it was very simple to diagnose and the Thais should have seen it. Yet not one of them could figure it out, as basic as it was.

Given so many excellent English speaking Thai doctors practicing in and around Chiang Mai, why any need to seek out a Farang doctor?

There is more to a good doctor-patient relationship than language competency. I find many cultural differences here that, IM (obsolete professional) O, result in less than ideal health care being delivered. As is the case everywhere else in the world too in that situation of course.

• Like 1

Bottom line..............here medical services are cheap [part of the draw for us?], but we get what we pay for, if lucky. Not to knock Thai Drs, but they are taught only the most basic 'medical English' and are mostly lacking in true patient/Dr. communications.

I find their mechanical skills [surgery, cosmetic dental etc] quite decent and their equipment is almost as modern as the west, but they seem to be lacking in their diagnostic and prescribing skills and I always double check with Dr Google and have found a lot of mistakes over the years.

Agreed 101%

If you must know....................I need a native English speaking Dr to help me with a VA form that requires more than the basic English that the local Drs speak. I have consulted with several Thai Drs and they admit that the level of legalise English required was over their heads.

now satisfied??

The veterans of foreign wars has a fellow who works as a go between the Ram and the VA.

There is more to a good doctor-patient relationship than language competency. I find many cultural differences here that, IM (obsolete professional) O, result in less than ideal health care being delivered. As is the case everywhere else in the world too in that situation of course.

My doctor speaks perfect English and treats me like a patient. She explains any thing I ask her for.

She reminds me of when I was a kid and we had a family doctor. she has been known to make housed calls also.

jaideeguy -- it may be that you don't really need a doctor at all. Many of the VA forms are very confusing and multi-purpose. I'd suggest you contact either the VFW or LannaCareNet.org first and see if you really need a doctor to complete part of the form before you make an attempt to engage a doctor.

I've seen vets who wanted to apply for the VA "supplemental pension for wartime veterans" jump thru hoops to get a doctor to fill out the part about their health when that part of the form didn't apply to them. Those parts of the form only are if you want to claim an "early pension" due to injuries suffered as a result of wartime injuries. Otherwise, if you're over age 65 and have an income below a threshold you can qualify without a doctor's report.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

My doctor speaks perfect English and treats me like a patient. She explains any thing I ask her for.

She reminds me of when I was a kid and we had a family doctor. she has been known to make housed calls also.

Dr Morgan without doubt is in my opinion the most caring Dr in Chiang Mai. When i required a Dr one night after Midnight she and her husband came to my home and stayed for around 3 hours after making a trip to her surgery for some medication so i have nothing but praise for her commitment to her job. As other posters have said she speaks better English than i do .

• Like 2

If you must know....................I need a native English speaking Dr to help me with a VA form that requires more than the basic English that the local Drs speak. I have consulted with several Thai Drs and they admit that the level of legalise English required was over their heads.

now satisfied??

Well my curiosity as to why of all people you were asking the question is certainly satisfied.

You might to try on line sites in the US where MDs will answer questions...not familiar with them other than heard about them...

I don't know of any thai MD who went to medical school in the US unless they went to undergraduate college in the States or elsewhere before going to medical school...

Remember in Thailand they go straight from high school to medical school which is impossible in the US,,, there is a reason for this in the States and it is called Organic Chemistry and other tough science courses which weed out about 90 % of would be students wanting to bog to medical school...

Many thai doctors say they received traing in the States like residencies internships etc but not their medical school training if they grew up in Thailand...post graduate work and training does not equate to the rigors of US medical school...

The reason why so many foreign medical doctors go for further training is because it represents a cash cow for those universities and knowledge and techniques for foreign doctors so its a win win for both parties...the vast majority are required to return to their home country but some bail but must take on further education and training o meet AMA requirements and criteria to practice as a licensed US medical physician...

When you hear a thai doctor say I was educated in the US you need to find out what that education and training entailed...most likely internship residency post grad work but not actual medical school....unless they are a graduate of a recognized and accredited university prior to entrance to medical school...

CB

• Like 1

now satisfied??

Chiang Mai Ram do my offshore medicals as do Bangkok Hospital, Rachawithee too. No "falang" doctors there.

They all speak English.

You might to try on line sites in the US where MDs will answer questions...not familiar with them other than heard about them...

I don't know of any thai MD who went to medical school in the US unless they went to undergraduate college in the States or elsewhere before going to medical school...

Remember in Thailand they go straight from high school to medical school which is impossible in the US,,, there is a reason for this in the States and it is called Organic Chemistry and other tough science courses which weed out about 90 % of would be students wanting to bog to medical school...

Many thai doctors say they received traing in the States like residencies internships etc but not their medical school training if they grew up in Thailand...post graduate work and training does not equate to the rigors of US medical school...

The reason why so many foreign medical doctors go for further training is because it represents a cash cow for those universities and knowledge and techniques for foreign doctors so its a win win for both parties...the vast majority are required to return to their home country but some bail but must take on further education and training o meet AMA requirements and criteria to practice as a licensed US medical physician...

When you hear a thai doctor say I was educated in the US you need to find out what that education and training entailed...most likely internship residency post grad work but not actual medical school....unless they are a graduate of a recognized and accredited university prior to entrance to medical school...

CB

I like the idea that doctors at many private hospitals are now posting their CV's on the hospital website, that way patients can make informed decisions about which doctor they wish to consult with, Bumrungrad was the leader in this area I believe. Personally, I would like to see all doctors post their educational credentials, including doctors working for private clinics, it should be a pre-requisite to being allowed to practice.

• Like 2

now satisfied??

Well my curiosity as to why of all people you were asking the question is certainly satisfied.

I was curious as to why any doctor should have to speak legalize English. They are doctors not lawyers. How do you write I have a cold in legalize?

CB

Can very well be a fact. But I have yet to hear of a doctor having to take a course in law so he/she can fill out a medical form.

I didn't intend for my OP to get into a debate about the professionalism of local Drs. I was simply enquiring if there was a Dr to fill out what is actually a claim form called the 'expert's opinion' and the wording can make or break my claim as it requires the dr to make a statement that will stand up in court and that's where the legal English skills come in, and preferably an internal medicine dr with a speciality in liver issues.

Agree with all about Dr Morgan being a great 'western style' dr with a big heart as well as she has come to my rescue on a few occasions and one of the few Drs that I have recomended here.

• Like 1