Comedian Joan Rivers dies aged 81

webfact

Comedian Joan Rivers dies aged 81

NEW YORK: Comedian and TV host Joan Rivers has died, her daughter has said.

Rivers, 81, had been on life support in Mount Sinai Hospital since having a cardiac arrest in New York last week.

In a statement, her daughter Melissa said she died surrounded by family and friends, and she thanked hospital staff for their "amazing care".

The comedian, best known for her lacerating wit, stopped breathing during a procedure on her vocal cords at an outpatient clinic last Thursday.

"My mother's greatest joy in life was to make people laugh," said Melissa Rivers.

"Although that is difficult to do right now, I know her final wish would be that we return to laughing soon."

The actress and stand-up comedian is well known for her legendary put-downs and has more recently turned her razor-sharp tongue on the red carpet's worst dressed celebrities, hosting the E! network's Fashion Police.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29072417

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-09-05

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her show on E!, Fashion Police, was always interesting to watch because of her humorous commentary on all the stars. You didn't want to be in her spotlight. Nothing was off-limits for her humor. Jews, Catholics, blacks -- pretty much everyone got it.

• Like 1

Her show on E!, Fashion Police, was always interesting to watch because of her humorous commentary on all the stars. You didn't want to be in her spotlight. Nothing was off-limits for her humor. Jews, Catholics, blacks -- pretty much everyone got it.

Yeah, I always thought she imagined herself as a female Don Rickles. I thought and still think Rickles is mostly hilarious, but somehow Joan didn't do it for me.

She was as funny as a pork chop in a synagogue.But then again I am biased,can't stand loud American humour.

Pork chop + synagogue? You could have been a joke writer for Mrs. Rivers.

I don't mind American humor or any other humor, since I can always turn the volume down, change channels or leave if it's live.

As for the pork chop + synagogue remark. It speaks for itself and when cooked, is still tasteless.

• Like 1

I loved the episode she did on "Louie" not long ago. She played herself and Louie - another comedian - tries to get her into bed. He is half her age and pretty desperate when it comes to sex.

Yes, that was great.

It has been suggested in media that Sarah Silverman is her direct comedic descendant.

It makes sense as Silverman as Rivers doesn't shy from any subject matter, including holocaust jokes, and walks a tightrope of offending and making people laugh. Of course, with that kind of humor, many people don't get it.

Edited by Jingthing

Off-topic, troll, inflammatory posts and replies removed.

Please respond to the OP and not to the opinions of others. The thread is about a person who has died. It is not about member's opinions about the death.

Joan would be the first to approve of your puns, she loved to make people laugh. While not always funny IMHO she was generous with those around her and to charity. She did a lot to benefit others in the course of her life. RIP Joan

Plastic Surgeons panic to re-mortgage their houses as news hits that Joan Rivers has died....................wub.png alt=wub.png>

She was as funny as a pork chop in a synagogue.But then again I am biased,can't stand loud American humour.

Edited by BadBouy

Not sure everyone knows this, but her gay fan base had a special connection towards the iconic Joan Rivers:

We typically use this forum to address fairly general queries, but today we pause to honor a single figure of particular importance to the gay community—the late, great Joan Rivers. Why was the connection between the controversial comedienne and her queer fans so strong? Here we offer up a few theories—and a lot of fabulous clips—as a eulogy.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/09/05/ask_a_homo_why_joan_rivers_and_gay_people_have_such_a_strong_bond.html

Edited by Jingthing

Not sure everyone knows this, but her gay fan base had a special connection towards the iconic Joan Rivers:

We typically use this forum to address fairly general queries, but today we pause to honor a single figure of particular importance to the gay community—the late, great Joan Rivers. Why was the connection between the controversial comedienne and her queer fans so strong? Here we offer up a few theories—and a lot of fabulous clips—as a eulogy.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/09/05/ask_a_homo_why_joan_rivers_and_gay_people_have_such_a_strong_bond.html

well that is probably why I had never heard of her, two different teams.

Plastic Surgeons panic to re-mortgage their houses as news hits that Joan Rivers has died....................wub.png

Joan Collins is also 81. If both of these ladies were to pass on, plastic surgeons might face a full blown economic panic.

I used to really love her - saying outrageous things in the name of comedy is one thing.

But her hateful comments about Palestinians showed that she was actually evil.

Much like Jimmy Saville, who while making millions happy, was an evil pedophile.

Im sure Joan, Jimmy and Ariel Sharon will be sharing a dungeon somewhere in hell

• Like 1