because of a record can I not relocate to thailand?

So I have a dui and am currently taking classes for them plus a driving on a suspended I just got. (I had to get to work!!) When I got my dui they searched my car and I had 3 vicadin in my car without a prescription. I didn't even think that was a big deal. My friend gave them to me because I hurt my back playing basketball. Anyways, the gave me a felony for it!!! So because of that I'm on formalprobation and have a probation officer. I'm looking to relocate to thailand so I can start new and as a digital nomad. But can I even do this? Or will I have trouble getting in? Even if I do get in will they allow me to stay?

• Like 1

They don't ask if you have any criminal convictions unless you want to get a work permit I think so I really doubt it will be an issue.

I was speaking to a guy from the UK in some street side Bangkok bar a few years ago, he said he did a few years in prison for armed robbery at some point in the past, he didn't seem to have any immigration issues.

How depressing. I have 2 1/2 years to go

I suggest speaking to a lawyer and find out the full situation with regards to foreign travel.

Read this webpage, it's not so much about his murder but more about how he was treated by the US Embassy : http://www.khmer440.com/k/2014/07/did-the-u-s-embassy-in-cambodia-betray-murdered-american-william-bryan-glenn/

There are only a few reasons why a U.S. embassy would revoke or confiscate an American citizen’s passport. One of those reasons is the existence of a criminal warrant for the arrest of that citizen back in the United States. U.S. embassies will often revoke the passport of an American citizen wanted for crimes in America, and then offer to issue a new limited passport valid only for travel to the U.S. This is a way that the government pressure fugitives to return to the United States to meet their obligations, thus avoiding the expense and difficulties of extraditing these fugitives from foreign lands.

Edited by ukrules

I can understand where your coming from. But its not a lack of wanting to take care of my responsibilities.. its a lack of opportunities now. I can't get to work now, so my income is gonna be almost gone. I can't get my life and health insurance license that i just passed my state exam for because of the felony. Many jobs are now impossible to be hired for. All while the court bills and probation bills continue. So now how do I pay rent? Pay for my car I can no longer use? And living in CA the cost of living is outrageous!! I find my future very non existent, where quality of life in thailand is better, cheaper, and the people I want to do business with currently live there. I don't want to sound winey.. but I just want to live a good life

I can understand where your coming from. But its not a lack of wanting to take care of my responsibilities.. its a lack of opportunities now. I can't get to work now, so my income is gonna be almost gone. I can't get my life and health insurance license that i just passed my state exam for because of the felony. Many jobs are now impossible to be hired for. All while the court bills and probation bills continue. So now how do I pay rent? Pay for my car I can no longer use? And living in CA the cost of living is outrageous!! I find my future very non existent, where quality of life in thailand is better, cheaper, and the people I want to do business with currently live there. I don't want to sound winey.. but I just want to live a good life

And you really think living in Thailand is going to present you with more opportunities than you currently have in your own country ?....blink.png

I really think you need to think things through.

So you intend doing a runner on a felony warrant ?.....what happens passport renewal time if they put you in system ?...which I think they do with a felony charge...how you going to renew your PP wehen the time comes ?

• Like 2

Your right. I just didn't realize having a couple vicadin was a felony. With such a small amount too. I would of been better off having weed!

AND you did drive while you were drunk (DUI)......so that is not just Vicadin..... Life is tough here and absolutely no paradise.... So run away from you punishment is kidstuff....

Like many says. take responsible and act as an adult..

Glegolo

• Like 2

You know that in Thailand or Southeast Asia in general you can expend all the rest of your life in jail or worst, just for one small drug incident?

I would try to live cheap in Mexico or Bolivia (no drugs problem for a nice backpacking life) and get the maximum contacts from US, if you are starting as "Digital Nomad" the first years are horrible, but later you will reap the harvest.

And this is not the right 'military government' to come in the middle of a visa crackdown, you need to wait to clean your status so the timing should be ok.

• Like 1

Don't listen to the other posters here handlez, they just haters.

Get the next plane to Thailand and forget about that ungrateful probation officer. Felonies, drugs, dui convictions, don't worry you'll find plenty of people like that here and some even end up as school teachers. That shows you how much respect you will get in thailand as the country will welcome you with open arms. So don't worry about any international warrants, your paradise awaits.

Easy to say when you're not the subject named on the warrant.

Don't listen to the other posters here handlez, they just haters.

Get the next plane to Thailand and forget about that ungrateful probation officer. Felonies, drugs, dui convictions, don't worry you'll find plenty of people like that here and some even end up as school teachers. That shows you how much respect you will get in thailand as the country will welcome you with open arms. So don't worry about any international warrants, your paradise awaits.

And what happen when he wants to renew his passport?

I agree with Time Traveller. Forget the felonies. And forget the Probation Officer. Just come her and have a good time. You will fit in perfectly among the other digital nomads in Thailand.

And the pharmacies in Bangkok sell some great drugs for your bad back. No need of any prescription either.

Edited by bangkoklasse
  • Like 1

2 1/2 years seems like a long time now, but see this probation through and avoid future problems. It's nothing compared to messing up the rest of your life by continuously looking over your back and wondering when the knock on the door may be the one you have been dreading.

Even in countries that do have rules to exclude persons with criminal records, they normally don't apply much unless you did time in prison.

• Like 1

Funny to see how certain forum characters are lurking in long wait of a good occasion to play armchair judge.

When the moment comes, they have their 5 seconds of satisfaction in expressing what they would have otherwise never been asked.

• Like 2

That's the trouble with Californians, it is so liberal they think responsabilities don't apply to them. You must be liberal to try to side step your responsabilities, you think 2 1/2 years is unbearable vs 10+ years in prison once you are caught and one day you will be caught.

You didn't know it was a felony? Come on really?

Edited by quicky