Not a good omen for punishing those that abused power

steelepulse

From the Bangkok paper that we can't link to or quote, here's a fair use one liner:

>>Col Phongphet said the government will not take legal action against officials who granted land rights illegally.

Oh my, this doesn't bode well. So all of the corrupt officials that issued phony documents that got paid millions of baht get off scot free apparently. Anyone want to take any bets about the bibs in phuket also not having legal action taken against them, as well as the orbortor chiefs that gave their "permission" in return for a big thick envelope.

For those that don't believe this look up the headline Isoc cracks down on fake land titles.

• Like 2

Also wondered about this.

And about another thing.....somebody who in good faith purchased a plot of land with a chanot or nor sor 3 title, will he also lose his land because a previous owner obtained the title illegally? It is a universal legal principle, that when somebody buys something he could in no way have known was once stolen, he and not the person victim of theft is the legal owner.

Think for instance of the situation of a farang buying through a local lawyer a plot of land on his Thai wife's name to build a house on, the plot of land has changed hands repeatedly, but then all of a sudden it turns out to be national park land, and a land title was illegally granted in 1992.

And about another thing.....somebody who in good faith purchased a plot of land with a chanot or nor sor 3 title, will he also lose his land because a previous owner obtained the title illegally? It is a universal legal principle, that when somebody buys something he could in no way have known was once stolen, he and not the person victim of theft is the legal owner.

Think for instance of the situation of a farang buying through a local lawyer a plot of land on his Thai wife's name to build a house on, the plot of land has changed hands repeatedly, but then all of a sudden it turns out to be national park land, and a land title was illegally granted in 1992.

I've posted this link a couple of times recently. No one seems to know the result.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-expat-Frenchman-stands-to-lose-B100mn-home-in-national-park-land-raid/16783#ad-image-0

It appears the land can/will be seized, despite being bought "in good faith."

I would presume he'd have to go after the lawyer and person who sold it to him.

And no, universal principles don't exist.

I've posted this link a couple of times recently. No one seems to know the result.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-expat-Frenchman-stands-to-lose-B100mn-home-in-national-park-land-raid/16783#ad-image-0

Thanks for the link NKM. The article states that the Frenchman is not liable to prosecution since he is not the original builder of the house, but the house might be pulled down.

The issue about illegally granted land titles came to the surface a good number of years ago. I remember warning a Dutch couple who wanted to buy land through a company construction in Koh Chang/Trat to first carefully check the national park/public land boundaries.

I believe it alright. I especially like the part about the Land Dept chief; A) Having no idea about ISOC activities, and B; Lamenting how complicated it all is and will take over a year to null titles, and how many Govt offices are involved.

Shouldn't martial law should really preclude all that kind of dodging due process right? It sure does when its convenient to toss out some working class citizens.

What a load of <removed>. Thailand's new motto; CAVEAT EMPTOR.

SLGTHHHHWWWST That's the sound of foreign investment being sucked dry

Time for the illegal taxi stand pic thread.

Edited by LivinginKata

I would imagine however that any investor having their assets seized as some official played fast and loose with the law would certainly have a reason to feel embittered.

As far as I know the motto is ' Amazing...." which certainly can be interpreted in humorous way.

Edited by LivinginKata
flame removed

Thanks for the link NKM. The article states that the Frenchman is not liable to prosecution since he is not the original builder of the house, but the house might be pulled down.

The issue about illegally granted land titles came to the surface a good number of years ago. I remember warning a Dutch couple who wanted to buy land through a company construction in Koh Chang/Trat to first carefully check the national park/public land boundaries.

"but the house might be pulled down." - so that leaves a foreigner with land he does not own anyway. Sounds like a good "investment." biggrin.png

I have read the same sort of comment in one or more of the Phuket rags. "the government will not take legal action against officials who granted land rights illegally."

This is not very encouraging We have to wonder at this thinking.

Yes, sounds ridiculous, and very selective.

What about those policemen who allowed (granted) illegal gambling dens to operate - will the Govt not go after the policemen too?

What about the politicians who allowed (granted) the payment of illegal commissions from state purchases - will the Govt not go after the politicians too?

Surely the General's corruption crusade = going after those Govt officials/politicians who gained benefits from illegal actions.

I have read the same sort of comment in one or more of the Phuket rags. "the government will not take legal action against officials who granted land rights illegally."

Yes, sounds ridiculous, and very selective.

What about those policemen who allowed (granted) illegal gambling dens to operate - will the Govt not go after the policemen too?

What about the politicians who allowed (granted) the payment of illegal commissions from state purchases - will the Govt not go after the politicians too?

Surely the General's corruption crusade = going after those Govt officials/politicians who gained benefits from illegal actions.

"Surely the General's corruption crusade = going after those Govt officials/politicians who gained benefits from illegal actions." - seriously, if they investigated ALL politicians, for EVERY obvious illegal action by them, many would flee Thailand, and they would have to build more gaols to house the ones that didn't get away.

New motto?

It's always been that. No wonder you are so bitter if you've only just found that out.........

"Bitter" is a subjective personality assessment.

Are we discussing the topic or your opinion of me ?

I can't comment on a deleted post.

Time and again, you have been presented with evidence that rich people have been hit by the clean-up, yet, you still ignore it and come out with your "class war" bumf.

• Like 1

New motto?

It's always been that. No wonder you are so bitter if you've only just found that out.........

"Bitter" is a subjective personality assessment.

Are we discussing the topic or your opinion of me ?

I can't comment on a deleted post.

Time and again, you have been presented with evidence that rich people have been hit by the clean-up, yet, you still ignore it and come out with your "class war" bumf.

Well I appreciate the more civil tone in this latest post, However I have not found the evidence convincing , no matter how many times you insist I must take your view . In fact I find this latest information about officials not be held to task to back up my class war er,. " bumf" ( bumf?)

^Mmore of a capitalist/ feudal bent I think. Of course it is now criminalized to critisize any actions so I cannot expand further my view.

Certainly will find it entertaining when junta-lovers rah rah yah- hoos get what they wish for, for it is most assuredly on the way.

Running out of stomach for the fight before it even started.

The fight is against the working classes, not officials who pay up for their positions

The working classes lost the fight a long time ago. Maybe they should get back to working.

The thinking is that the investigating officers are getting nowhere unraveling the piles of dodgy signatures and falsified documents, that without cooperation from people on the inside there will be no no hope in ever determining who did what.

^ I rather think that is a little too pat an answer. I'd propose the amount of embarrassment is less than the result of appreciation that can be earned.

Running out of stomach for the fight before it even started.

The fight is against the working classes, not officials who pay up for their positions

The working classes lost the fight a long time ago. Maybe they should get back to working.

Well can't blame them for thinking they have a chance as that's the current propaganda, they matter. I'm sure they would love to get back to work, but the jobs were eliminated.

Interesting pic today in PW , mostly women it seems have been put out of jobs in the recent sterilization. Explains a lot. The new govt has already shown itself to not be interested particularly in giving women a say. One cabinet member out of what.. 30 is female.

Edited by EBlair48

Interesting pic today in PW , mostly women it seems have been put out of jobs in the recent sterilization. Explains a lot. The new govt has already shown itself to not be interested particularly in giving women a say. One cabinet member out of what.. 30 is female.

Can you really blame them after the last woman who was in charge?

From Phuket Gazette:

The Royal Forestry Department (RFD) will press charges against at least seven officials for illegally issuing land titles for plots at Phuket’s Freedom Beach. - See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/articles/articles/get_article_detail/34845#sthash.VL4D9JL9.dpuf
Edited by stevenl