Do you keep your router on 24/7?

Keesters

Router on 24/7  

288 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I bought a timer that shuts my router down each night at 3am for an hour... This forces it to reset its connection...

I don't know why routers don't have this function built in?...

Why do you feel the need to reset the connection once ever 24 hrs?

My wifi thingy is from 3BB, their own, cost 750bht, they told me to leave it on and the thing is guaranteed for life, replaced if it packs up. thumbsup.gif

Hmmmm, wait and see eh....whistling.gif ....smile.png

Why do you reply to a question asked of sfokevin?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im saying that if everyone in the world be it at home or in business turned off their routers at night the internet as we know it will stop working. Where do you think the internet comes from, space?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

If everyone turned it off at night it would always be on somewhere because the whole world doesn't work in one time zone. I'm not sure if you know that when it's night tin Thailand it's daytime in many other countries. Your eply suggests you don't know that. Also, the internet mostly 'lives' in huge data centers, not at people's homes and offices.

Dudes please think about this in a macro view not a micro view of just words. If country USA turned off all its routers/servers at night what do you think would happen? First none of the data from the USA servers would be shared out to the world. Any site maintained in the US would be down. Also, all those data traffic highways in the US which route other country's data to other parts of the world would stop. If you dont understand the internet in his way, you dont really understand the internet.

Dont need to turn off any computer equipment ever.

We are discussing turning off routers at home, not turning off servers and data centers.

It's you that doesn't understand. Turning off you PC and router won't have any effect on world internet traffic.

PCs work better if switch off every day. They keep cooler, the parts last longer and it helps clear down software that may be running in the background. Also keeps your condo a little cooler with less heat coming from electrical equipment.

Dudes please think about this in a macro view not a micro view of just words. If country USA turned off all its routers/servers at night what do you think would happen? First none of the data from the USA servers would be shared out to the world. Any site maintained in the US would be down. Also, all those data traffic highways in the US which route other country's data to other parts of the world would stop. If you dont understand the internet in his way, you dont really understand the internet.

We are discussing turning off routers at home, not turning off servers and data centers.

It's you that doesn't understand. Turning off you PC and router won't have any effect on world internet traffic.

PCs work better if switch off every day. They keep cooler, the parts last longer and it helps clear down software that may be running in the background. Also keeps your condo a little cooler with less heat coming from electrical equipment.

Only time a PC or monitor has failed me was on switching it on. Keep them on and they seem to last forever.

My TOT wifi router is on 24/7 , but sometimes I switch it off and restart if internet is slow , and that happens quite a lot,

But for me its best to keep it on at all times , I download movies and tv shows and that takes a long, long time when you have a 6mb line that is not really 6mb but 500kb.....

Im saying that if everyone in the world be it at home or in business turned off their routers at night the internet as we know it will stop working. Where do you think the internet comes from, space?

lol. do you wear tin foil underpants ?

http://www.turnofftheinternet.com/#

I loved your link cheesy.gif

...I did not click on the switch ... you never know wink.png

Edited by Tchooptip

I have worked in electronics (TV studios) for scores of years and the accepted practice is to leave everything on that is not a fire risk.

This is because most failures are caused by the surge when switching power on.

The only things that we turned off were monitors (TV sets) that used high voltages (about 20 thousand volts). This doesn't apply now that cathode ray tubes are obsolete.

I bought a timer that shuts my router down each night at 3am for an hour... This forces it to reset its connection...

In the past when I had a problems with my internet connection and called True the lady said to turn off the router for 10 minutes and restart it to fix... this happen a few times and so I decided to use it as a preventative maintenance... It reestablishes connection with ISP and gives the router a cool down period...

I turn mine off at night, when not in use.

I also turn it off if I go out, and no one will be using the computers or internet.

It is also turned off if there is a thundershower and lightening happened.

Back in May, two of my neighbors routers were fried because there was a lightening strike nearby. Their routers were plugged in and turned on.

Plus, I just touched the top of my router, it is hot, not scalding hot...but hot. Also the plug is hot. My router has been on for maybe six hours.

It has absolutely nothing to do with electricity used or money spent.

My old ADSL router from KSC (now True) used to lock-up every few days for no apparent reason, a power off-on fixed it, I did the same timer trick, no more lock-ups smile.png

The TOT fibre router stays on 24/7/365, security cameras use it and there's always someone connected anyway, most of the local lads have the WiFi key, if they don't take the piss they're welcome to some bandwidth.

DiDiChok, on 07 Sept 2014 - 09:19, said:

Ah, I just see another post from 'Noise' who uses a fibre connection. Now, the word 'Modem' is a shortened composite of the terms modulator/demodulator. The digital signals have to be made analogue to traverse the telephone line and so are sent as a modulated analogue signal. They get demodulated at the other end.

A fibre connection doesn't have a modem as it is entirely digital, but it's what everyone calls the intermediate box that's attached to the fibre because that's what they've been used to calling a box that makes a connection. Really, it's more of a line driver.

Better routers these days have a fibre router input on them so that you don't need the intermediate box. Better routers can also have telephone ports and digital connections for telephones, and I use digital telephony. So I don't turn my connection off because I use it for that and for many other things. These include an inward SSL link so that I can log on to my internal network and a secure router to router VPN connection that makes the family's computers seem to be local. There's also a USB port on the router so that I can store confidential files there on a memory stick instead of storing things in the cloud.

If I only used my fibre link for browsing, I'd probably turn it off.

Actually the word "modem" is wrong, when speaking of digital signals being "converted" as there is NO modulating or demodulating, these terms are purely analogue techniques, this is done by "mixing/demixing" two analogue signals together, Data, being digital cannot be "mixed" what is done is they take a "given" packet of data eg 111 and the electronics produces an analogue signal varying in frequency, amplitude and phase to represent the data. We use the term "modem" as a hangover from the analogue days. This makes good, though technical, reading http://www.oocities.org/~katmci/pdfs/adsl.pdf

watcharacters, on 07 Sept 2014 - 10:33, said:
KhunBENQ, on 06 Sept 2014 - 11:22, said:

I switch it off. I am close-fisted tongue.png

I haven't looked at the power consumption of my router but I still wonder if turning one off could possibly save more than a baht a month>

Nevertheless good for you. Pure green in both fiscal and resource conservation.

These same people will leave the fridge on, tv 0n standby, mobile phones on charge etc.

2fishin2, on 07 Sept 2014 - 10:56, said:

I thought the question asked was "did we" turn our equipment "OFF" or not, you seem to be taking to debate to a far different level.

balo, on 07 Sept 2014 - 15:22, said:

My TOT wifi router is on 24/7 , but sometimes I switch it off and restart if internet is slow , and that happens quite a lot,

But for me its best to keep it on at all times , I download movies and tv shows and that takes a long, long time when you have a 6mb line that is not really 6mb but 500kb.....

I restart mine only when Ed, from PhuketWan, or Thaivisa, bans me, so I need a new email and IP address, so far up to 7 times.

But it's not night everywhere in the world at the same time, is it?

Funnily enough, I've been with TOT, 3BB and now with Sophon Internet and in all three cases they told me to switch my modem off when not using it. I suspect this is getting the best possible performance from it in their opinion. Only today I was getting the "connected" message while at the same time getting the "no internet access"message, I closed the modem and opened it again immediately and hey presto...., I got my internet access.....so there must be some validity in what they say..

Funnily enough, I've been with TOT, 3BB and now with Sophon Internet and in all three cases they told me to switch my modem off when not using it. I suspect this is getting the best possible performance from it in their opinion. Only today I was getting the "connected" message while at the same time getting the "no internet access"message, I closed the modem and opened it again immediately and hey presto...., I got my internet access.....so there must be some validity in what they say..

"Connected" means you are connect form your "modem" to the DSLAM, in Thailand, usually street mounted, this does NOT mean you will have internet access, you MUST also get the "Internet" connection signal./light/LED. Now, in your case I would suggest the DSLAM had a "hiccup" by restarting your "modem" you force it to reconnect....this has little to do with turning your "modem" "off or on" every night, what it means is that your ISP hasn't properly "protected" its equipment from power surges/spikes, whether that is mains or lightning.

Edited by MediaWatcher

My dear old mum would always turn off the TV and pull the plug out, she said it was in case of lightening strikes in the storms. Of course I got a bit laugh out of this and used to rubbish her about it....until one of her neighbours had lightening strke and blow out her TV

I leave my router on but it automatically shuts down and reboots at 05.30hrs each morning for maintenance. This also helps get a better connection especially if True is throttling those of us you use it to download large files. Same with my so called True 3G H+ phone which they throttle down to 3G then edge then 2G so I also need to reboot my phone to get connected to H+ again.

Edited by Estrada