Dogs Dying In Rescue Shelter Due To Lack Of Food

Rimmer

Dogs Dying In Rescue Shelter Due To Lack Of Food

239.jpg

SATTAHIP – September 3, 2014 [Pattaya Daily News]; Sattahip reporters had inspected Plutaluang animal shelter where they found out that about 10 dogs that were dying due to illness each day. Plus the cold weather had made many animals sick even though the vets had given them medicine.

The shelter had taken in the animals from around the nearby area themselves because the shelter is located down a very rough road so the officials had just left the dogs to roam around the community. There were about 1,000 dogs living in this shelter and most of them were unhealthy. Officials had taken these dogs from Pattaya and Sattahip before dumping them there. It’s expected that these dogs were dumped by their owners.

Mr.Kopa aged 41 From Myanmar said that he had taken care of the dogs at the shelter for about 9 years. The public sector had given the shelter 150 sacks of food and some people had donated food. Unfortunately the food was still insufficient because the amount of dogs coming to the shelter was increasing daily.

Read more:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/dogs-dying-rescue-shelter-due-lack-food/

pdnews.jpg
-- Pattaya Daily News 2014-09-06

• Like 1

Maybe the last few lines from the original article could be included here for those who don't click on the link??

If people who would like to donate food and money, please contact Mr.Sinnikorn Thephassadin Na Ayudhaya 089-245-4773 or Khun Pajana Yibngmahasarn 081-761-3642. Also the donation account no. 584-2-09998-8 Kasikornbank branch Central Pattaya Beach

Hopefully the thread won't slide into a slanging match between those who want all dogs put down and those who feel some degree of sympathy.

I didn't realize that dogs could get leprosy ... and wonder if that's an accurate diagnosis in this case.

Before 1973, when a Rhodesian vet stumbled upon a disease he initially thought was tuberculosis, nobody suspected that dogs might be able to contract one of the most dreaded human diseases in history -- leprosy. Serious clinical investigation of canine leprosy didn't get underway until the end of the 20th century, so it's still in its infancy. But even though scientists haven't yet pieced together the complete puzzle, they know that the disease isn't nearly as debilitating in dogs as it used to be in humans, and that it can be cured with the same antimicrobial drugs.

http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/dogs-leprosy-7963.html

So how much are you going to donate ?

Why not have the unhealthy dogs put down?

I have dogs....... and consider myself an animal lover.......

You have a "reasonable" suggestion.......we all know that there are far too many stray-unhealthy dogs here..... (also aggressive dogs)......

and not always abandoned

It also appears that when it comes to animals....Thais will keep them, but never spend money on medical care for them

So maybe it "would" be kinder for the "poor" sick dogs not to have to suffer anymore............

But of course......who would do it ?? ...........with the religion here

Edited by DD13
  • Like 1

I have written to International Animal Rescue (IAR ) to take a lead in this matter,if anyone else could send a link to this page too. They have major centres around the SEA region and they undertake spaying and care of dogs.

It is a dreadful place and yes I think to end their suffering maybe an act of kindness

You know what? If anyone donates that's their business. How much? That's their business. I know you feel strongly about the subject, but it doesn't excuse rudeness. There's a post giving details of how to donate and everyone can see it and choose.

Well Said..... Totally with you...

Maybe the last few lines from the original article could be included here for those who don't click on the link??

If people who would like to donate food and money, please contact Mr.Sinnikorn Thephassadin Na Ayudhaya 089-245-4773 or Khun Pajana Yibngmahasarn 081-761-3642. Also the donation account no. 584-2-09998-8 Kasikornbank branch Central Pattaya Beach

Hopefully the thread won't slide into a slanging match between those who want all dogs put down and those who feel some degree of sympathy.

I didn't realize that dogs could get leprosy ... and wonder if that's an accurate diagnosis in this case.

Before 1973, when a Rhodesian vet stumbled upon a disease he initially thought was tuberculosis, nobody suspected that dogs might be able to contract one of the most dreaded human diseases in history -- leprosy. Serious clinical investigation of canine leprosy didn't get underway until the end of the 20th century, so it's still in its infancy. But even though scientists haven't yet pieced together the complete puzzle, they know that the disease isn't nearly as debilitating in dogs as it used to be in humans, and that it can be cured with the same antimicrobial drugs.

I assume, hope, you're a dog lover who's upset at the treatment of dogs and the apparent indifference to their care by so many, so I'll take that as an expression of your anger at the situation. And that anger could be expanded to the treatment of elephants, cats, the trade in so-called exotic pets, the deplorable manner in which dogs are crammed into cages for transport to neighboring countries to be sold for meat etc.

Many people seem to direct their anger at the dogs who are the victims of this indifference ... including the diseased animals and those that have become vicious ... and who really have no control over their circumstances. And as we have seen too often, people who have a lot of personal problems themselves take out their frustrations in unspeakable acts of violence on animals.

It does seem that putting many down would end their suffering in what is called a "humane way". On the other hand it seems equally deplorable to know that tens of thousands of abandoned, mistreated, but perfectly healthy & well-behaved animals are put down in western countries. Just because there are very few stray dogs wandering the streets in the US and Europe doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist there, it's just been hidden from view.

I have donated to Soi Dogs and often shove a little money into those collection boxes at Friendship. When you read of thousands of baht per day needed just to feed these dogs, it amounts to just a few drops in a very large ocean and I don't know if it makes a difference, but wish there was a more practical, realistic way to solve the problem.

Thailand needs laws concerning the treatment of domestic animals and wildlife, but laws would still need to be enforced and it would be far better if people were educated to treat animals, to manage their care and control their breeding & sale, rather than having to police their behavior.

So, yes, I have donated a little. Nothing impressive and not enough for me to mount a podium to lecture others on their responsibility. I wish I could wave a magic wand to make it all better, but the batteries in my magic wand have gone flat.

Edited by Suradit69

May I ask what business is that of yours? If you don't want to donate, that's up to you, maybe two beers less per day and you donate the money instead, would help, even encourage others. There are many caring people and caring venues round the country - PAWS in Phuket for example, who treat sick dogs, neuter them and put them into Temples or in a home whenever possible. So back to my original question, "what business of yours, unless you do donate yourself"? Edited by Rimmer
quotes fixed

I have been past the Plutaluang animal shelter many times over the last few years and can attest to many strays in the general area. We have a sub vendor located about 1km from there and the noise generated by the dogs can be overwhelming at times.

The shelter has been used as a dumping ground for rounded up strays, mostly from Pattaya (approx. 25km away) in increasing numbers to the extent that it cannot cope properly.

Without trying to be funny over this sad issue, the strays would probably be better off on the streets at the moment until the personnel at the shelter find it in themselves to say no to anymore intakes.