Chiang Mai shopping malls,what does the future hold for them?

worgeordie

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as girls in shorts parade around the mall, men will go to look.

Anyone else noticed the short-time hotel just outside Central Festival?

(Out of the scooter park, turn left after the guard booth, away from Doi Saket road)

Are some of the shops operating a "take out" service?

Gotta have somewhere to eat your pizza, doughnuts and coffee. wink.png

• Like 1

The average thai in CM province does not buy their products at the big shopping malls in CM..

Do the math. I would say no more than 1 out of 5 have bought any non perishable item when they go to these malls and Thais go there on a frequent basis - it's a hobby to them for something to do.

Thais are very practical so they know they can get things cheaper at big C tesco lotus small markets like the one next to rimping...

The buyers in the better shopping Malls tend to be upper middle class and above. The average thai making 15k -20k month is not going to spend 950B for a pair of long pants when they can get them for 150B in small markets night markets small independent shops or the venders who set up their tables like maggots along side big c and tesco...these are incredible popular with average Thais...

Ask nurses gov officials maids students farmers truck drivers restaurant workers vendors teachers etc where they do their shopping for non perishables...

Shopping malls represent a social venue in which to pay bills eat food see movies

It won't be promenada maya central but the much smaller and cheaper places and shops like pan tip plaza independent shops around town and closer to their villages...

The ave thai is driven by price more than any other factor up to a certain socio-econ status..then image and keeping up with the Lees matter more...hence the explosion of high end shopping malls in bkk where the volume of wealthy thais can support them...

CB

having a abundance of shopping malls in c/mai is no different to the following

7/11..hairdressers...new cars..tuk tuks..red taxis.. noodle shops.. restaruants..condos ..moo baans.. massage shops....bars..coffee shops..tour operators..golf courses

thats off the top,of my good looking melon,

simply no logic, but they keep tumbling in like oranges,

but if you look to makros,testcos,rimpings,big c new car franchises etc etc. only open at selected venues,where they can vialibly trade at a nice profit

my guess to the o/p that the malls are backed by black money,and i will leave it at that

Hahahahahahah! Wow! I'm laughing out loud because I agree with everything on this post, everything!

Time for a Joke here, made up by me:

Q: Hey, know why those upscale malls are so clean?

A: Cause of all the laundering going on.

Hahahahahahah! There's no other answer!

The new "Central Dept. Store" in Chiang Mai is of tremendous size, many people enter into the Mall without actually shopping and just walking around looking at the available goods on all the floors and enjoying the cool air-con conditions.

The Western public does the same, at the West End of London they walk along Regent Street, Oxford Street, Bond Street, etc ... looking at the products without buying.

In New York City the public does the same by walking around the shops in Lower Manhattan.

The new Central Dept Store in Chiang Mai will survive, and the existing first Central Dept Store, the Robinson Dept Store, and the Tesco Dept Store will also survive but will lose some of their original business activity.

"If this Mall was in the UK,US, i am sure it would be heaving with shoppers actually

buying stuff,loaded down with bags"

If this mall was in the USA it would be loaded down with a lot of kids loitering after school and on the weekends......mostly causing havoc....

• Like 2

Anecdotal evidence especially on Thai Visa is worthless. You want to know how the malls are doing? Central Embassy just opened in Bangkok and is one of the most expensive malls in the world.

The 37-story building dedicates eight floors to retail shops and the rest to a high-end hotel, Park Hyatt, which is still some way off completion.

Stores from some of the world's most exciting fashion brands, such as Ralph Lauren, Tom Ford, Christian Louboutin, Jil Sander, Giuseppe Zanotti, and Hublot, plus high-end concept store Siwilai.

Thailand is booming not bombing. Now you can even get Teuschers chocolates in Thailand.

YChocolates of Switzerland and Cocoa Lounge

Central Embassy

1031 Ploenchit Rd.

Lumpini, Pathumwan

Bangkok

The 37-story building dedicates eight floors to retail shops and the rest to a high-end hotel, Park Hyatt, which is still some way off completion.

While some of the stores will not be ready for the offical opening, you can expect stores from some of the world's most exciting fashion brands, such as Ralph Lauren, Tom Ford, Christian Louboutin, Jil Sander, Giuseppe Zanotti, and Hublot, plus high-end concept store Siwilai.

- See more at: http://bk.asia-city.com/city-living/news/bangkok-central-embassy-opens-may-9#sthash.9B98MgKO.dpuf

" Thailand is booming not bombing "

and what does opening new shops prove?unsure.png You do need a demand side of the equation as well or should I say demand " ability ". How much can you realistically expect to be able to squeeze from the consumer ?

When I read statistics in USA 26% of Americans have no emergency savings whatsoever and 66% don't have at least six months worth of savings, I wonder how these kinds of statistics look regarding the Thai consumer?

If Thailand increases its VAT rate from 7% to 10% which is expected, notice what has only just happened in Japan, where they increased their VAT from 5 to 8%. They have just announced a bigger than expected contraction in their economy of 7.1%.ohmy.png

You can't get blood out of a stone

Stones don't go shopping at one of the most expensive malls in the world, Central Embassy. Are you implying that you are a bigger economic brain than the people involved in planning for Central Group? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Group

Are you employed in the economic forecasting business? Don't get me wrong. If you're some new economic guru just out of the London School of Economics let us know.

" Are you implying that you are a bigger economic brain than the people involved in planning for Central Group? "

LOL .giggle.gif Well there were obviously some " big brains " that never saw the 1997 crisis coming.

What happens this time ?sad.png

Thailand’s Boom Is Driven By An Underlying Credit Bubble

As with most other emerging market nations, Thailand is currently experiencing a dangerous credit bubble that is helping to boost its economic growth and consumer spending.

Bank of Thailand recently published a report that showed that the debt-service ratio (DSR) of indebted Thai households has increased from 30 percent in 2011 to 34 percent in 2013. To make matters worse, indebted Thai households that earn less than 10,000 baht per month are burdened by a debt-service ratio that is nearly twice as high at 62 percent. Bank of Canada estimates that debt-service ratios above 40 percent place households in financial jeopardy. Thai households’ high debt loads will limit future consumer spending and economic growth.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jessecolombo/2013/11/04/thailands-bubble-economy-is-heading-for-a-1997-style-crash/

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

" Thailand is booming not bombing "

and what does opening new shops prove?unsure.png You do need a demand side of the equation as well or should I say demand " ability ". How much can you realistically expect to be able to squeeze from the consumer ?

When I read statistics in USA 26% of Americans have no emergency savings whatsoever and 66% don't have at least six months worth of savings, I wonder how these kinds of statistics look regarding the Thai consumer?

If Thailand increases its VAT rate from 7% to 10% which is expected, notice what has only just happened in Japan, where they increased their VAT from 5 to 8%. They have just announced a bigger than expected contraction in their economy of 7.1%.ohmy.png

You can't get blood out of a stone

Stones don't go shopping at one of the most expensive malls in the world, Central Embassy. Are you implying that you are a bigger economic brain than the people involved in planning for Central Group? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Group

Are you employed in the economic forecasting business? Don't get me wrong. If you're some new economic guru just out of the London School of Economics let us know.

" Are you implying that you are a bigger economic brain than the people involved in planning for Central Group? "

LOL .giggle.gif Well there were obviously some " big brains " that never saw the 1997 crisis coming.

As with most other emerging market nations, Thailand is currently experiencing a dangerous credit bubble that is helping to boost its economic growth and consumer spending.

Bank of Thailand recently published a report that showed that the debt-service ratio (DSR) of indebted Thai households has increased from 30 percent in 2011 to 34 percent in 2013. To make matters worse, indebted Thai households that earn less than 10,000 baht per month are burdened by a debt-service ratio that is nearly twice as high at 62 percent. Bank of Canada estimates that debt-service ratios above 40 percent place households in financial jeopardy. Thai households’ high debt loads will limit future consumer spending and economic growth.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jessecolombo/2013/11/04/thailands-bubble-economy-is-heading-for-a-1997-style-crash/

Jesse Colombo graduated from High School in 2003. Financial journalists have nicknamed Jesse a "bubbleologist" in reference to his economic bubble research and activism. He has no financial education that I can find. Maybe that is the kind of guy you want to take advice from. Up to you.......

Jesse Colombo graduated from High School in 2003. Financial journalists have nicknamed Jesse a "bubbleologist" in reference to his economic bubble research and activism. He has no financial education that I can find. Maybe that is the kind of guy you want to take advice from. Up to you.......

" Colombo graduated with a B.S. from Stony Brook University in 2008.[1]"

bottom line is how much education do you need to have anyway to warn there will be consequences from creating a pyramid of debt through infinite money printing ?rolleyes.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Colombo

• Like 2

The bottom line is ,if businesses are not making enough profit to cover

expenses,how long can they hang on for,i suppose until the years lease

is up,after that who knows.then once one or two shops vacate,it usually

like a deck of cards more will follow.

When I was there Saturday afternoon,beginning of the month very few

people were actually buying,some shops even had staff at the doors like

touts trying to drum up trade.if they cannot sell anything at beginning of

the month when people have just been paid,what hope have they.

Promenada,and Maya malls,could be the first to decline,not that i would

wish failure on any business,its just i cannot fathom the reasoning why

Chiang Mai would need so many malls,you just feel someone has miscalculated

big time.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

its just i cannot fathom the reasoning why

big time.

black money ,runs deep,

presently c/mai has vaults full of it

no miscalulation by the????, they make it work,

one way or another

a very nice evening to allsmile.png

bottom line is how much education do you need to have anyway to warn there will be consequences from creating a pyramid of debt through infinite money printing ?rolleyes.gif

A B.S. in what? Since when is a B.S. in anything enough to be actually listened to in the world of Economic wizardry. Might as well actually listen to some yokel posting on Thai Visa. PhD and 10 years experience with a leading international bank or similar is the bare minimum of credentials. Dr. Sethaput Suthiwart-Narueput Prior to returning to Thailand, he worked for many years with the World Bank in Washington, DC and McKinsey & Co. in New York. Sethaput received his BA with highest honors from Swarthmore College and his MA and PhD in economics from Yale. http://www.thai-iod.com/imgUpload/file/Siminar&Event/Thailand%27s%20Economic%20Outlook%202013%20brochure%281%29.pdf

Come on guys get real. A kid just out of High school and college with only a BS in some non academic subject is not someone to listen to on such an important issue.

The average thai in CM province does not buy their products at the big shopping malls in CM..

Do the math. I would say no more than 1 out of 5 have bought any non perishable item when they go to these malls and Thais go there on a frequent basis - it's a hobby to them for something to do.

Thais are very practical so they know they can get things cheaper at big C tesco lotus small markets like the one next to rimping...

The buyers in the better shopping Malls tend to be upper middle class and above. The average thai making 15k -20k month is not going to spend 950B for a pair of long pants when they can get them for 150B in small markets night markets small independent shops or the venders who set up their tables like maggots along side big c and tesco...these are incredible popular with average Thais...

Ask nurses gov officials maids students farmers truck drivers restaurant workers vendors teachers etc where they do their shopping for non perishables...

Shopping malls represent a social venue in which to pay bills eat food see movies

It won't be promenada maya central but the much smaller and cheaper places and shops like pan tip plaza independent shops around town and closer to their villages...

The ave thai is driven by price more than any other factor up to a certain socio-econ status..then image and keeping up with the Lees matter more...hence the explosion of high end shopping malls in bkk where the volume of wealthy thais can support them...

CB

Pantip plaza is over half empty.

A B.S. in what? Since when is a B.S. in anything enough to be actually listened to in the world of Economic wizardry. Might as well actually listen to some yokel posting on Thai Visa. PhD and 10 years experience with a leading international bank or similar is the bare minimum of credentials. Dr. Sethaput Suthiwart-Narueput Prior to returning to Thailand, he worked for many years with the World Bank in Washington, DC and McKinsey & Co. in New York. Sethaput received his BA with highest honors from Swarthmore College and his MA and PhD in economics from Yale. http://www.thai-iod.com/imgUpload/file/Siminar&Event/Thailand%27s%20Economic%20Outlook%202013%20brochure%281%29.pdf

Come on guys get real. A kid just out of High school and college with only a BS in some non academic subject is not someone to listen to on such an important issue.

" Come on guys get real. A kid just out of High school and college with only a BS in some non academic subject is not someone to listen to on such an important issue."giggle.gif

and what faults are you going to find in the views expressed by Khun Sawasdi Horrungruang, Khun Boonchai Bencharongkul and Khun Prachai Leophairatana - the3 business tycoons that endured the 1997 crisis ?facepalm.gif

Three businessmen who lost most of their empires during the tom yum kung crisis are warning of a nascent economic bubble, blaming policies that have encouraged consumers to take on debt while the government borrows hugely to spur the economy

http://bambooinnovator.com/2013/07/05/three-thai-tycoons-are-warning-of-a-nascent-economic-bubble-blaming-policies-that-have-encouraged-consumers-to-take-on-debt-while-the-government-borrows-hugely-to-spur-the-economy/

big time.

black money ,runs deep,

one way or another

Do you have any proof of this or is it just a theory?, even if it was true they don't just throw

money away.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

" Come on guys get real. A kid just out of High school and college with only a BS in some non academic subject is not someone to listen to on such an important issue."giggle.gif

and what faults are you going to find in the views expressed by Khun Sawasdi Horrungruang, Khun Boonchai Bencharongkul and Khun Prachai Leophairatana - the3 business tycoons that endured the 1997 crisis ?facepalm.gif

Three businessmen who lost most of their empires during the tom yum kung crisis are warning of a nascent economic bubble, blaming policies that have encouraged consumers to take on debt while the government borrows hugely to spur the economy

http://bambooinnovator.com/2013/07/05/three-thai-tycoons-are-warning-of-a-nascent-economic-bubble-blaming-policies-that-have-encouraged-consumers-to-take-on-debt-while-the-government-borrows-hugely-to-spur-the-economy/

Nothing I agree with them (article from more than a year ago). So did the Army. Now Thailand has a different government now.

Nothing I agree with them (article from more than a year ago). So did the Army. Now Thailand has a different government now.

But nothing has changed with regards to consumers carrying the same level of debt?

Your claims that the Thai economy is strong is total rubbish!

But nothing has changed with regards to consumers carrying the same level of debt?

Your claims that the Thai economy is strong is total rubbish!

Actually it's you're reading skills that are rubbish.

The three gentlemen are warning of a bubble. Quite a bit different than there being a bubble.

"Three Thai tycoons are warning of a nascent economic bubble, blaming policies that have encouraged consumers to take on debt while the government borrows hugely to spur the economy.

This time, the nature of the crisis might be different. Last time it was the private sector that went bankrupt, but this time we might see the government collapse......the government did not help [Thai companies] but just made things worse,” Mr Prachai said bitterly. He has bounced back somewhat from the crisis. His SET-listed TPIPL, Thailand’s third-biggest cement maker, plans a new investment of 10 billion baht, half of it to expand cement production capacity."

End Quote

You should take the time to read the articles that you are linking The guy is expanding not contracting. I think they do use cement to build things eh? Building, expansion boom. Layoffs, selling.. bust.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Back on topic...

I just returned from seeing a movie at MAYA. There was me and the g/f and 3 other patrons in the entire theatre. How can they afford to run basically what amounts to a "private screening" for 5 people, play the movie, pay people to usher, clean, run the A/C very high..., etc.?

And it wasn't a 'one off'. I was there about 2 weeks ago to see another movie and although a little better turn out, still there weren't more than about 13 patrons last time.

I can't ever remember going to the cinema in Europe or America, even in the middle of the day when it wasn't at least 75% full. I mean it just wouldn't happen any other way. If there was a turn out like that, it wouldn't last for long as the cinema would soon be out of business.

I walked my local mall here in the US for the first time in over a decade. It had morphed a bit and reminded me more of KSK than anything else. Lots of small shops and kiosks in the middle of the walkway selling very high margin yet low end goods such as hats, t-shirts, cell phone covers, cheap shoes, toys (lots of RC helicopters), and women's makeup (mostly Israeli hustlers). These shops don't need to sell quantity since cost of goods is marginal. The larger anchor tenants were somewhat empty and the business news notes that they are struggling and dependent upon holiday sales.

big time.

black money ,runs deep,

one way or another

Do you have any proof of this or is it just a theory?, even if it was true they don't just throw

money away.

regards worgeordie

due to forum policys,unable to give you the drum

please take, what ever you want out of it, i assure you its on the money

I think the reality is the bigger groups who built these malls have deep pockets and in it for the long haul

Within Thailand everyone dreams of opening a shop and inevitably gets sucked into thinking the product they have is the "killer" product that everyone wants

The rent they pay continue to substantiate the mall building as there are a lot of people here to bankrupt before the holding company will do so.

The reality is the small guy may lose but the big guys is not hurt at all by any slowdown ...

Edited by LawrenceChee
  • Like 1

Retail is seasonal, most of the year the stores barely or do not break ever, then in the west sales explode at Christmas time, here it is probably several times a year around New Years, regular and Chinese, Songkran, possibly back to school...

Do agree, probably too many malls in CM now, some will go the way of Tantrapan.

Tantrapan owns Rimping and most of the 7/11's in the North

KSK & airport plaza will survive. KSK is where locals shop. Airport plaza is where chinese shop before flying home.

My experience of malls is visiting toy shops for prezzies. Toysrus, whenever I visit is EMPTY!! No other customers. Prices are ridiculous. Central at the other 3 malls the same. Might see westerners, but are they buying? Again, prices way too high. Lazada very limited for toys. Amazon, please open in Thailand wai2.gif

Best thing to do with festival is to rip out all the shops & convert to a big multi storey car park for the new skytrain users to get into the city laugh.png

KSK days are numbered rumor has it it will close down 2017 but who knows it's only a rumor

Retail is seasonal, most of the year the stores barely or do not break ever, then in the west sales explode at Christmas time, here it is probably several times a year around New Years, regular and Chinese, Songkran, possibly back to school...

Do agree, probably too many malls in CM now, some will go the way of Tantrapan.

Tantrapan owns Rimping and most of the 7/11's in the North

not quite right...

"CP All Plc. (the “Company”) was established in 1988 by the Charoen Pokphand Group.The Company is the sole operator of 7-Eleven convenience stores in Thailand, which has been granted an exclusive right from 7-Eleven, Inc., USA to conduct business under the Area License Agreement.In 1989, the first 7-Eleven outlet in Thailand was opened on Patpong Road."

i have shares in the company.

Here is an interesting recent article on what's happening in shopping malls in USA. Are there parallels with Thailand? Consumers in both countries up to their necks in debt

When you see the headlines touting strong retail sales, you need to consider what you are actually seeing in the real world. RadioShack will be filing for bankruptcy within months. Wet Seal will follow. Sears is about two years from a bankruptcy filing. JC Penney’s turnaround is a sham. They continue to lose hundreds of millions every quarter and will be filing for bankruptcy within the next couple years. Target and Wal-Mart continue to post awful sales results and have stopped expanding. And as you drive around in your leased BMW, you see more Space Available signs than operating outlets in every strip center in America.

http://www.theburningplatform.com/2014/09/13/kohls-the-rest-of-the-retailers-are-in-deep-doo-doo/