Top 10 Worst Driving Habits in Thailand

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you would like to extend your thread to 10 worst driving habits in France, UK, US, Belgium, China?

I suspect the 10 worst in the UK would be far worse than Thailand!

Are you serious?

I am French, and have years of driving experience in France and Thailand.

I can compare.

I see more stupid behavior on the roads in 1 day in Thailand than in 1 month in France.

No offense but either you are new here or you are a thai.

Regarding #5 I would guess that a lot parents can not afford helmets for growing kids. It is scary.

If you're so poor that you can't find 200 baht to buy your kid a helmet then you must be too poor to own a motorbike or fill it with gas.

then theres:

not using indicators,

not using mirrors,

not obeying the road rules or even knowing them,

pulling out from the kerb, driveway etc wiithout checking traffic

overtaking on double lines and blind corners

turning from the wrong lanes

using a turning lane to go straight ahead

driving fast through shopping centre car parks

going the wrong way in car parks against the arrows

driving on the wrong side of the road

overtaking with oncoming traffic on that side of the road and flashing their lights expecting you to pull over for them

cutting across the front of your car on a bike when you are turning a corner

basically just about everythingw00t.gif

Do you not exaggerate somewhat ?

EXAGGERATE????

He is spot on!

Between seajae and the OP, they have only cover about 40% of the problems with the way Thai people drive!

I believe Thailand has the second highest traffic fatality rate in the world and I have been told the highest fatality rate is in a war zone...

People in Thailand put a very low value on life, and it shows in there driving habits.

Remember, where you are going and when you arrive are not nearly as important as how many vehicles you can pass on the way!

and if you are a foreigner, you are always at fault. " If you did not come to Thailand, the accident would not have happened"

Yes, I have had to pay when a Thai person hit me!

if you are a foreigner, you are always at fault.

NO! If you think like that you need to change your handling during an accident.

I have never paid in the about 7 accidents that I had in Thailand. All were not my fault, so of course I will not pay!

Just call insurance and let them do the talking and DON'T sign anything you can't read unless someone who you trust read it for you.

TacoGuy, on 07 Sept 2014 - 01:23, said:

I drive in The UK which is without a doubt has the best drivers in the world (sorry USA but it's true). I have zero problem with Thai drivers. Traffic flows well, the drivers are alert, often courteous or at least cooperative. Parking is good. The only things I would fault are the use if mobile phones and lack of seat belts, but otherwise well done Thailand.

Having read what you said, I'm sorry, but if, your opinion, there is nothing wrong with thai drivers, then I really can't believe what you say about pommy drivers.

pomchop, on 07 Sept 2014 - 03:40, said:

Thais were driving as they do long before most farangs showed up and they will be driving like they do long after we are all dead......best advice is learn to drive EXTRA defensively, don't get angry, don't get into confrontations, don't get in a hurry, don't think for one minute that most Thais give a crap what you think of their driving....and hopefully don't get killed.

That's because farangs invented cars, Thais didn't, before that they rode, on an intelligent animal, a buffalo.

I agree with most things but no one mentioned.

RED TRUCK DRIVERS......

man they only have eyes for potential passengers, anyone else get outa the way....got bumped by one, he was nice enough to help get my bike off the ground....not hurt, just pissed me off, now i give them lots of space.....

gomangosteen, on 07 Sept 2014 - 07:38, said:

Is 'More than 2 people on a motorcycle' necessarily a 'worst driving habit'?

My partner and daughter weigh a combined 72kg, add my 86kg, still under our bike's safe/recommended limit

A former farang neighbour was proud of his weight, 154kg; he and his (politely - 'solid') wife, maybe another 80kg+ also to be seen round town on a 110cc motorbike.

Who's right?

I know which motorbike still had spare seat room, and would stop quickest!

Read the manufacturers manual...they all say, very clearly, maximum two (2) people.

Since smart phones became the norm I've seen so many people texting while riding their bikes.

Old ladies suddenly shooting across a busy road on their motorbikes without bothering to check if anything is coming.

People pulling out of sois onto busy roads without bothering to check to see if anything's coming their way.

I drive in The UK which is without a doubt has the best drivers in the world (sorry USA but it's true). I have zero problem with Thai drivers. Traffic flows well, the drivers are alert, often courteous or at least cooperative. Parking is good. The only things I would fault are the use if mobile phones and lack of seat belts, but otherwise well done Thailand.

This post has got "definitely not true" written all over it, it has to be a troll, and for the record, having done a lot of driving in the US, and when it comes to road manners, they outshine the UK any day.

Flashing there lights, which normally means "GO" but not here in Thailand , it means , whatever happens I ain't stopping...

I really don't enjoy driving in Thailand......

In the U.K. flashing your lights at someone is actually a warning though many do flash to let another through.

In the UK, flashing your lights means exactly the same as soung your horn.

Road rage is almost none existent in Thailand. Back in many western countries if you do the slightest thing wrong on the road you could be eligible for a severe beating.

I've seen it here dozens of times, sometimes with handguns involved. Just last week we saw one pickup force another off the road so they could have a bit of a parley.

I guess mister Clutch doesn't use his clutch to much in Thailand, since otherwise he would see much more road rage!

Don't forget to double-park in the slow lane in front of a market during the busiest time of day, or to rip past that market in the oncoming lanes at full speed to get around those double-parked cars and pedestrians.

What about the motorcyclists that drive through the market where the passageway is only about 3 mtrs wide, then sounding their horn at you to get out of their way, too lazy to park their bike outside and walk.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

then theres:

not using indicators,

not using mirrors,

not obeying the road rules or even knowing them,

pulling out from the kerb, driveway etc wiithout checking traffic

overtaking on double lines and blind corners

turning from the wrong lanes

using a turning lane to go straight ahead

driving fast through shopping centre car parks

going the wrong way in car parks against the arrows

driving on the wrong side of the road

overtaking with oncoming traffic on that side of the road and flashing their lights expecting you to pull over for them

cutting across the front of your car on a bike when you are turning a corner

basically just about everything alt=w00t.gif>

Uhh,.....speeding perhaps

Flashing there lights, which normally means "GO" but not here in Thailand , it means , whatever happens I ain't stopping...

If you're English, or a northern republican for that matter, take a look at the highway code. Flashing lights at people is a warning, not a polite "I'm giving way" signal.

Other problems with Thai driving habits have to include just about everything the motorcyclist does. Driving the right direction but on the wrong side of the road. Cutting across corners in front of me. Riding on the pavement.

Road rage is almost none existent in Thailand. Back in many western countries if you do the slightest thing wrong on the road you could be eligible for a severe beating.

Back in western countries, in my case the UK, if, say a driver deliberately comes over a stop sign in front of you and causes you to brake, you pump your horn, then he puts two fingers up at you, then he deserves a severe beating.

Japanese drivers slavishly follow the rules of the road. Traffic moves at a slow calm pace. British and Thai drivers are slightly more pragmatic, generally following the rules, but up unafraid to bend them if it would ease traffic flow or a minor convenience could be gained. Anyway, regardless of where Thai drivers actually rank, they are far better then many give them credit for in my opinion.

This post has got "definitely not true" written all over it, it has to be a troll, and for the record, having done a lot of driving in the US, and when it comes to road manners, they outshine the UK any day.

Depends how you define driving. Do you think the average American (even one from New York) could drive in London or Bangkok for they matter?

Back in western countries, in my case the UK, if, say a driver deliberately comes over a stop sign in front of you and causes you to brake, you pump your horn, then he puts two fingers up at you, then he deserves a severe beating.

No, then it's over. Horn ok. Fingers ok. Done. Mistakes happen, no need to be aggressive.

Depends how you define driving. Do you think the average American (even one from New York) could drive in London or Bangkok for they matter?

Naaah. Americans are notorious for driving on the wrong side of the road. London and Bangkok drivers are all privileged to be able to drive on the correct side of the road (well, most times anyway).

No, then it's over. Horn ok. Fingers ok. Done. Mistakes happen, no need to be aggressive.

Yes, mistakes do happen, but putting two fingers up at someone is not a mistake.

Yes.

What is the Point of this topic?

If you don't like Thai driving style, then either don't drive here, or drive yourself directly to the Airport and get on the first flight out.

Another one off "if you don't like it, go home brigade"

In the U.K. flashing your lights at someone is actually a warning though many do flash to let another through.

In the UK, flashing your lights means exactly the same as soung your horn.
Sorry about the typo.