Top 10 Worst Driving Habits in Thailand

Green light = go
Orange light = go faster
Red light = look right, look left, and if clear then go; OR if you are going too fast, grit your teeth and keep going

One of the most scary abits, but it's not for every driver, is to text messages while driving a motorbike; another one is to run motorbikes very quickly in thick car traffic already moving fast, overtaking left and right in the narrow spaces between very fast moving cars; another good one is to fill the open back of the pick up with children and boys, and then run 100 km/h.
Of course drive the motorbike when so drunk one can't even walk, seen and loved that one also.

Edited by Zlabermacht

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When traffic is backed up to do a u turn, the dick who drives past everyone so he can go to the front of the line, hate the bastards.

And the one at the front of the u turn line who doesn't know how to use the feeder lane...

then theres:

not using indicators,

not using mirrors,

not obeying the road rules or even knowing them,

pulling out from the kerb, driveway etc wiithout checking traffic

overtaking on double lines and blind corners

turning from the wrong lanes

using a turning lane to go straight ahead

driving fast through shopping centre car parks

going the wrong way in car parks against the arrows

driving on the wrong side of the road

overtaking with oncoming traffic on that side of the road and flashing their lights expecting you to pull over for them

cutting across the front of your car on a bike when you are turning a corner

basically just about everythingw00t.gif

Do you not exaggerate somewhat ?

EXAGGERATE????

He is spot on!

Between seajae and the OP, they have only cover about 40% of the problems with the way Thai people drive!

I believe Thailand has the second highest traffic fatality rate in the world and I have been told the highest fatality rate is in a war zone...

People in Thailand put a very low value on life, and it shows in there driving habits.

Remember, where you are going and when you arrive are not nearly as important as how many vehicles you can pass on the way!

and if you are a foreigner, you are always at fault. " If you did not come to Thailand, the accident would not have happened"

Yes, I have had to pay when a Thai person hit me!

if you are a foreigner, you are always at fault.

NO! If you think like that you need to change your handling during an accident.

I have never paid in the about 7 accidents that I had in Thailand. All were not my fault, so of course I will not pay!

Just call insurance and let them do the talking and DON'T sign anything you can't read unless someone who you trust read it for you.

If you've had 7 accidents in Thailand I think you need to either give up driving or increase your awareness of what is going on around you. I could have had numerous accidents but have avoided them by either anticipating or reacting quickly to the lunatic or careless acts of others. 7 accidents with no blame attaching to self? Surely no one can be that unlucky.

Flashing there lights, which normally means "GO" but not here in Thailand , it means , whatever happens I ain't stopping...

I really don't enjoy driving in Thailand......

In the U.K. flashing your lights at someone is actually a warning though many do flash to let another through.

In the UK, flashing your lights means exactly the same as soung your horn.

In law and according to the Highway code you are correct, but in practise many people in the UK flash their lights to indicate they are letting you go first.

One of the annoying things they do too is to stop while on a roundabout and let traffic from the left pass before continuing round the roundabout. The Thais don't seem to realize that you are supposed to give way to the right when driving, not the left.

Flashing there lights, which normally means "GO" but not here in Thailand , it means , whatever happens I ain't stopping...

In the U.K. flashing your lights at someone is actually a warning though many do flash to let another through.

In law and according to the Highway code you are correct, but in practise many people in the UK flash their lights to indicate they are letting you go first.

That's right, you are spot on.

I drive in The UK which is without a doubt has the best drivers in the world (sorry USA but it's true). I have zero problem with Thai drivers. Traffic flows well, the drivers are alert, often courteous or at least cooperative. Parking is good. The only things I would fault are the use if mobile phones and lack of seat belts, but otherwise well done Thailand.

cheesy.gif

Tearing along on dual carriageway, pulling out to pass slower vehicle and then, as drawing abreast of said slower vehicle, matching speeds with it for the next 10km! No reason, since road ahead is clear, just somehow afraid to actually pass.

The one thing no one mentioned...is that when Thais come to a into a intersection or out of a soi about 75% look the wrong way they look to the left instead of the right close's oncoming traffic is to the right?

Good reason for doing so... the motorcycle, pickup, police car driving against the flow that you would otherwise hit if you look at where traffic should be coming from.

EXAGGERATE????

He is spot on!

Between seajae and the OP, they have only cover about 40% of the problems with the way Thai people drive!

I believe Thailand has the second highest traffic fatality rate in the world and I have been told the highest fatality rate is in a war zone...

People in Thailand put a very low value on life, and it shows in there driving habits.

Remember, where you are going and when you arrive are not nearly as important as how many vehicles you can pass on the way!

and if you are a foreigner, you are always at fault. " If you did not come to Thailand, the accident would not have happened"

I have never paid in the about 7 accidents that I had in Thailand. All were not my fault, so of course I will not pay!

Just call insurance and let them do the talking and DON'T sign anything you can't read unless someone who you trust read it for you.

If you've had 7 accidents in Thailand I think you need to either give up driving or increase your awareness of what is going on around you. I could have had numerous accidents but have avoided them by either anticipating or reacting quickly to the lunatic or careless acts of others. 7 accidents with no blame attaching to self? Surely no one can be that unlucky.

In the 18 years that I drove in my home country I had never any accident. Now living 9 years in Thailand had already about 7 of which 2 in the parking of a shopping mall. Sure, I will tell my car the next time that she needs to anticipate better when parked and jump out of the way! cheesy.gif Luckily the persons at fault didn't take a run, but called insurance.

The other cases on the road were indeed not my fault, but when driving in Bangkok everyday to/from work via a heavy traffic route you can wait for the accidents to happen! I drive already quite carefully and on straight ends I have no issues, since I keep always my distance and hence have the time to break AND watch the lunatics in my backside. BUT on the roundabouts it's different, since Thais can't drive, so accidents will happen a lot there. I needed to pass a specific roundabout for several years and the guy from insurance told me that on an average day there are 20 or more accidents on this roundabout.blink.png

Oh, I did have 1 accident on a straight end, when driving in the 4th right lane a guy suddenly tried to avoid a taxi on the 2nd lane who came to the 3rd lane and he just without any thinking janked the steering wheel to his right to hit me in the front-side.

I guess you don't have too much troubles when driving probably in Pattaya orso from your retirement-condo to your favourite bar thumbsup.gif

One of the annoying things they do too is to stop while on a roundabout and let traffic from the left pass before continuing round the roundabout. The Thais don't seem to realize that you are supposed to give way to the right when driving, not the left.

Only on roundabouts.

That's right, you are spot on.

Depending on the circumstances it can mean both, both here and in the UK: go ahead I'll wait, or wait, I'm coming.

But understanding what it means when can be confusing, especially for sticklers to the rules, which westerners seem to be more than Thai.

Edited by stevenl

Only on roundabouts.

I believe the Thai road code actually, believe it or not, has it wrong, it does say give way to the left.

How so True

Driving In Thailand ( Rules)

1. Never indicate - this will give away your next move. A real Thai driver never uses them.

2. Under no circumstance should you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, this space will be filled by at least 2 taxis and a mini bus, putting you in an even more dangerous situation.

3. The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the chance you have of getting hit.

4. Never, ever come to a complete stop at a stop sign. No one expects it and it will only result in you being rear-ended.

5. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in, giving you a nice, relaxing foot massage as the brake pedal pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it's a chance to stretch your legs.

6. Never pass on the right when you can pass on the left. It's a good way to check if the people entering the highway are awake.

7. Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as a guideline. They are especially not applicable in Thailand during rush hour. That's why it's called 'rush hour'

8. Just because you're in the right lane and have no room to speed up or move over doesn't mean that a Thai driver flashing his lights behind you doesn't think he can go faster if he is in your spot.

9. Always slow down and rubberneck when you see an accident or even someone changing a tire. Never stop to help - you might be mugged.

10. Learn to swerve abruptly. Thailand is the home of the high-speed slalom driving thanks to the government, They put big holes in key locations to test drivers' reflexes and keeps them on their toes.

11. Always honk your horn at cars that don't move the instant the light turns green. This prevents birds from building nests on top of the traffic light and from leaving droppings on your car.

12. Remember that the goal of every Thai driver is to get there first, by whatever means necessary.

13. On average, at least four cars can go through an intersection after the light has turned red. It's people not adhering to this basic principle that causes the big traffic jams during rush hour.

14. The reason that many Thais travel at 95 MPH is simply because their car won't do 100 MPH.

15. Never wear a motorcycle helmet on the head. That is what the basket in front is for.

16. No vehicle of any type can be overloaded.

17. Do not tie down loads of steel or anything else, that's what the people sitting on top of it are for.

18. I have blown my horn or flashed my lights so I have right of way no matter what.

19. When you park your motor bike, always park it as close as possible to another one, even though there are no other bikes in the parking area.

Only on roundabouts.

I believe the Thai road code actually, believe it or not, has it wrong, it does say give way to the left.

Yes, true, with only roundabouts the exception.

I think we all find it pretty scary on Thai roads. When I first came from Australia I was shocked and pretty scared at what I saw. The first conclusion I drew was that Thais don't care about safety.

I've seen countless serious accidents plus had a woman die in my arms when I stopped to provide first aid (while everyone else just beeped at me and one guy threw his amazon plastic cup at me because I partially blocked the road).

We are all responsible for our own behaviour and I would LOVE to live in a world where people completely respected the safety of others when using shared services like roads. However I would say that this is sadly not human nature.

And I would also say that despite appearances, Thailand is NO WORSE in that behaviour than back in Australia. The difference here is the complete lack of law enforcement and complete lack of driver training.

I'm certainly not excusing the terrible driving habits that scare me in Thailand everytime I open my front gate. I am simply saying that all the same bad habits that we see in Thailand are happening in Australia every day.

Sure they happen less, but I say that's because of regulations and enforcement not because Australians have better attitudes than Thais.

But not always, nothing is certain in LOS traffic. This moring I wanted to make a right turn and waited till the oncoming traffic passes. One guy came along, slowed down, flashed his lights and waited, slowed down more, flashed again and then stopped. As I didn´t take the chance right away I could finally see him waiving and giving me way w00t.gif

At the very same spot there are usually pickups and buses coming at high speed flashing their lights to tell me that they have no intention to be nice guys smile.png

Two things that upset me the most:

Motorcycles with high speed in dense traffic, when you´re busy whatching the other cars they often come out of nowhere in spots where you can´t see them, don´t expect them and most important: where they don´t belong!! I really don´t want to kill one of them!

Overtaking that makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE!!!!! In most sois/streets there are a lot of cars parking on the left side, so most of the time you can use one lane only. But some guys are in such a hurry that they will try to overtake on the left side and then suddenly realise that there is a parking car or a som dam stall and then they come back and cut back in front of you as they could barley make it. And most of the time this happens right infront of a red light anyway, so what did they try to achieve????????????????????

Edited by I knew this would happen

I agree with the lists posted but must add another. Using pedestrian crossings. I read last week that in Bangkok the BIB are going to fine those people jay walking and not using the marked crossings. They have to be kidding. I only use crossings to cross as I am disabled but on many occasions I am sure that Thai drivers have no idea what these are about.

I've had a few courteous drivers stop but on most occasions it is spot the farang and see how fast we can go to get past him when he is crossing. They even do this to their own. The most recent experience was when I was using the crossing in the car park of the Big C, Loei. I use a walking stick and drivers can easily see that by the slowness and actions of my gait that I am disabled yet this A*** hole who was about 10 metres from the crossing sped up despite my being well within the crossing. I was almost half way across when he sped up further and despite my putting my hand out for him to stop he just drove faster.

Luckily I was able to stop but still the right side of hi car brushed my body. I was able to hit his car with my stick hoping to get him to stop but the hero didn't. As I conversant in Thai I asked a number of people around me if they had seen his registration number but unfortunately none had so I had no information to provide police. I think when I put my hand up it was if I had waved a red flag at a bull and it was his duty to hit me if he could. The BIB want to book people for not using crossings however, I would suggest that they book drivers for not stopping for pedestrians in a crossing but I will not hold my breath as they cannot enforce the laws for all the other negligent acts that Thais perform when driving everyday.

Despite the idiots I see everyday I have also noted some very courteous Thai drivers, who not only know the rules but follow them. Unfortunately they are out numbered by the clowns, many of whom I suspect do not have a license let alone know the rules.

Hah!

I´m here 4 years and have been rear ended 3 times already in traffic jams, so it´s not very hard to have 10 accidents in 10 years. What could I have done about that?

Raise my shields and fire some aft torpedos?smile.png

Only on roundabouts.

Yes, true, with only roundabouts the exception.

I have seen no reference to any exception, could you please give a link to your reference.

EXAGGERATE????

He is spot on!

7 accidents...unlucky? That all depends over how long a period. When I lived in Bangkok and had a car I made 4 insurance claims that were not my fault in a year. 1) a taxi ran into the side a me while I was stationary waiting at a red light. 2) a fruit cart overturned as I was overtaking it and dented/scratched the nearside of the car. Police actually witnessed this. 3) Windscreen smashed by gravel as large speeding truck past me on Highway 3. Nearby policeman who came over pushed shattered screen in with butt of his pistol. 4) Woke up one morning to my car parked at rear of condo with windscreen shattered and bonnet dented. Singha beer bottle glass all over the place.

Is that lucky or what?

BTW there were no other accidents so I held my no fault bonus intact.

It is usually the foreigner's fault because they do not follow the very clear and common sense rules of the road in Thailand. Of course I always follow strictly the official advice given by the Royal Thai Consulate in the UK, which I reproduce here:

=TOP

IS DRIVING EASY & WHAT ARE THE RULES OF THE ROAD?

As precautionary measures to prevent and avoid road accidents, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) urges all road users to strictly observe the following traffic regulations and guidelines.

1. Before putting a vehicle into motion always check the following: drivers license, yearly vehicle tax payments sticker, yearly vehicle insurance payment sticker, license plate and vehicle condition such as wheel brake, emergency brake, headlights, tail lights etc.

- The maximum speed limit for cars inside a city limit is 60km/hr and 80km/hr for outside a city limit.

- The maximum speed limit for motorcycles inside a city limit is 60km/hr and 80km/hr for outside a city limit.

- The driver should pay special attention to highway signs posted on the left-hand side of the road for specified speed limits.

2. Always drive on the left side of the road. When there are two or more lanes for traffic in the same direction, slower vehicles must use the leftmost lane except when passing or making a right turn.

3. Always slow down to a safe and reasonable speed when driving on a narrow road or when approaching curves, intersections, business or residential areas, road construction zone and oncoming vehicles.

4. Never pass any vehicle when driving through residential areas, intersections, curves, or over a bridge. Always pass other vehicles on the right.

Never pass other vehicles on the left except when the leading vehicle is making a right turn or when there are two or more lanes for traffic in the same direction.

5. When driving at night, always turn on headlights and tail lights.

6. Broken down or parked vehicles must be parked on the side of the road or the shoulder of the road. A warning sign that can be seen over an appropriate distance must be displayed. At night-time emergency red lights must be used to provide warning.

7.Give the right of way signal to vehicles coming from main roads.

8. Strictly obey traffic lights and posted traffic signs.

9. Never control a vehicle while under the influence of drugs or intoxicating liquor; or while being sick or dizzy.

10. Always take safety precautions while in control of a vehicle.

11. Always allow a safe distance while following a vehicle.

12. Slow down to a reasonable speed and do not sound the horn if it is not necessary while passing through the following zones: school, hospital or public agency.

13. Always give a headlight signal or sound the horn and make sure there are no obstructions or oncoming vehicles before passing the leading vehicle.

14. When a driver is involved in an accident that causes injuries or property damages, always provide assistance wherever necessary. Immediately notify the nearest police station and identify yourself as well. The driver who fails to stop at the scene of the accident for which he is responsible would be considered guilty and might be sentenced to imprisonment.

15. Sound the horn and slow down the vehicle when approaching a stopped vehicle that is letting passengers get on or off and give warning particularly to deaf and blind persons.

16. Safety rules for pedestrians

- Always use sidewalks or road shoulders if there are any; if not, always walk on the right side of the road to be able to see oncoming vehicles.

- Always cross the road only when it is absolutely safe to do so, especially in Bangkok. Please watch out for bus lanes as buses sometimes run against the traffic flow.

- When crossing the road at night-time always do so at a lighted area or use a flashlight for identification purposes.

- Always obey traffic lights, i.e. cross the road only when the red traffic light is on for the approaching vehicles, and make sure that the vehicles have come to a complete stop.

17. Safety rules for bus passengers

- Always wait for a bus or a vehicle on the sidewalk, the road shoulder, or at bus stops.

- Before getting on a bus or a vehicle, wait until it has stopped completely and other passengers who want to get off have done so.

- Always take a seat when it is available; if not stay inside the bus or the vehicle. Do not stand on the doorsteps.

- Never get on or get off the bus or the vehicle while it is moving, waiting for traffic lights or while it is in the middle of the road.

- For private or public vehicles, the passengers should always get on or get off the vehicles where it is not prohibited. Always stop the vehicles at the sidewalks and get on or get off on the left side of the vehicle.