Bangkok ready to cope with possible flood

Lite Beer

Bangkok ready to cope with possible flood

BANGKOK, 7 September 2014 (NNT) - The city of Bangkok is getting ready for possible flood after the inundation has hit many parts in upper Thailand.

M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra, the governor of Bangkok, has called on a meeting with city officials to prepare measures to deal with possible flooding as heavy flood and inundation have hit several areas in the country.

The meeting was arranged to assess an expected rise in sea tide during the end of this month.

The Bangkok governor said the City Hall is now equipped with 116 water pumps and has resided 217 water gates, 222 wells, and seven water tunnels with combined capacity to discharge 155.50 cubic meters of water per second.

He added that other equipment to facilitate the release of excess water and a flood control centre under the City Hall are also on stand-by. M.R. Sukhumbhand went on to say that the overall situation remains far from worrying as the water level in the Bhumibol Dam, the Sirikit Dam and the Pasak Chonlasit Dam remain at 30%-40% of their capacity, which is below average, while the surge in sea tide is expected to peak only in November.

Nevertheless, he has instructed the Department of Drainage and Sewerage to remain vigilant until October as more rain has been forecast.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-07 footer_n.gif

Now where have I heard this before in the last 3 years?

"Sire, I have a cunning plan".

That's what Yingluck was assuring us, the first months of her being a PM.

And the outcome was that BKK was flooded in a bad way.

Hope they keep their mouths shut and do some flood defences to prevent another disaster.

Well if BKK is preparing for flooding, what the hell hope is there for us north of BKK? Phatumtani, Don Muang.... flood them to save the capital again? bah.gif

Yes, when the waters start approaching Bkk then it's all hands to the pumps, pun intended

Hope they keep their mouths shut and do some flood defences to prevent another disaster.

I think that there was some very rich minister in the last government knew what to do.

Something along the line of boats anchored across the Chao Phraya with their engines running flat out to push the water away.

He also had a sideline in serving meals made from exotic zoo animals.

Sorry but his name has slipped my mind and I never did manage to get his mobile number or email address.

• Like 1

Well if BKK is preparing for flooding, what the hell hope is there for us north of BKK? Phatumtani, Don Muang.... flood them to save the capital again? bah.gif

The amount of Water Hyacinth in Rangsit Canal, Khlongs 2,3 4,5 6 & 7 and Khlong Sam Wa gives an accurate observation of how well prepared they are.

The flood wall along the length of Rangsit Canal on Nakon Nayok Road has more gaps and holes in it than swiss cheese.

It's a disgrace.

• Like 2

It certainly looks like that, no matter who rules Thailand. Build flood walls, do the same old crap all over again and hope for different results, which is called insanity according to Einstein whistling.gifwhistling.gif

• Like 2

It certainly looks like that, no matter who rules Thailand. Build flood walls, do the same old crap all over again and hope for different results, which is called insanity according to Einstein whistling.gifwhistling.gif

I think you are confusing Narcotics Anonymous with Einstein.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

Bangkok ready to cope with possible guaranteed flood

A little too late as always,...cheesy.gif cheesy.gifwai2.gifwhistling.gif

Did you expect anything from a Thai other than Thainess?

Number 1 tenet of the Manual of Perfect Thainess:

1- Wait and see what happens and then, repair, replace or patch ONLY if it is strictly necessary.

Let's see; Thai governments have rejected advise and offers of help with know-how from Japanese and the Dutch to manage and prevent the impact of floods on industry, property and human life.

The Dutch, in the 10th. century began reclaiming patches of land from the sea using primitive tools.

Nowadays the territory of the Netherlands is about 50% reclaimed from the sea. Some areas are 7 meters below the sea level and life goes on without major worries.

But no, Thailand cannot lose face and accept assistance from the nation that clearly has a keen and vast knowledge in the subject.

Therefore, when someone says in government they want to help me and return happiness to me, I grab tightly my wallet.

When the governor says that Bangkok is ready to "cope" (key word) I take my rubber waders from the flood emergency trunk.

• Like 1

You selectively overlook the fact that Abhisit and Suthep were at the helm of the country (before they lost the election) and the only thing they did in answer to the impending floods advancing South for weeks was to lay in empty coffins to summon wisdom from their ancestors, according to Thainess.

YS, Abhisit and Suthep failed to take true and proven measures to abate, diminish or contain floods... But such failure should not be attributed to them alone.

All the previous administrations for long decades have ignored the flood that have affected this country for eons.

Food for thought

The Khmer built a water management and catchment system in the 10th. century. They did so without massive foreign investment and know-how.

Being a low land savagely invaded by the tides several ties a year, the Dutch did the same in the 10th. century using rudimentary tools and unwavering initiative. Nowadays Holland is almost 50% bigger than it was in the 10th. century.

But, TIT

The amount of Water Hyacinth in Rangsit Canal, Khlongs 2,3 4,5 6 & 7 and Khlong Sam Wa gives an accurate observation of how well prepared they are.

The flood wall along the length of Rangsit Canal on Nakon Nayok Road has more gaps and holes in it than swiss cheese.

It's a disgrace.

Let's face it. Sukhumphand just got back.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It's a disgrace.

Let's face it. Sukhumphand just got back.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Reminds me of walking down the street in BKK with a friend of mine a few years ago and we passed one of his wife's shops where a staff member was sitting. He said Hi and asked what she was thinking about as he didm't appear to be doing anything.

She replied "nothing".

He looked at me and said " Do you know what? She's 100% correct"

Don't worry, we'll let some pass left and right as well wink.png

• Like 1

1- Wait and see what happens and then, repair, replace or patch ONLY if it is strictly necessary.

Let's see; Thai governments have rejected advise and offers of help with know-how from Japanese and the Dutch to manage and prevent the impact of floods on industry, property and human life.

The Dutch, in the 10th. century began reclaiming patches of land from the sea using primitive tools.

Nowadays the territory of the Netherlands is about 50% reclaimed from the sea. Some areas are 7 meters below the sea level and life goes on without major worries.

But no, Thailand cannot lose face and accept assistance from the nation that clearly has a keen and vast knowledge in the subject.

Therefore, when someone says in government they want to help me and return happiness to me, I grab tightly my wallet.

When the governor says that Bangkok is ready to "cope" (key word) I take my rubber waders from the flood emergency trunk.

I'm afraid that part of the rejection was more related to the interesting financial aspects in dealing with government agencies. Allegedly of course.

From khet Dusit, with light rain and no worry,

uncle rubl

Yesterday, I was driving by a klong in the Minburi area and they had cleaned the water hyacinths out. The pile was as high as a two story house. That area is still somewhat rural. It would take a lot of truck loads to carry those out of more settled areas.

I'm afraid that part of the rejection was more related to the interesting financial aspects in dealing with government agencies. Allegedly of course.

From khet Dusit, with light rain and no worry,

uncle rubl

Your comment holds water. True that any financial arrangement between government agencies and help and/or consultancy from abroad has always bore diversion of funds into private pockets. If it does benefit those in the trough, matters of national security and/or protection of human life and property will take a back seat. It speaks volumes of the priorities and principles of the people in government.

How many floods industrial parks can endure before they call it quits or downgrade their operation? When foreign investment goes out of Thailand in droves then the powers that be will have no more feed to satisfy their snouts. But the cycle will continue and the predators will turn to their nationals to suck them dry. Such is the nature of ingrained feudal corruption

The big bags exacerbated flooding in Don Muang. Quite surprising given that area was a red shirt stonghold. Not any more though! My house also took 30 cm of water through it.

Hey as long as Silom/Sukhimvit is dry, that's all that matters to the authorities.

They can start by cleaning out the khlongs. Those near my village are totally blocked by weeds.