advice about bringing my dog to bkk

I'd like to ask opinions and if anyone has experience on bringing dogs to Bangkok.

I have recently adopted a large old dog here in Italy, thinking that when I come to Bkk as I normally do for 6 / 8 weeks I'd leave him in a kennel here.

However the dog has spent his whole life, 10 yrs, on a chain in an abbandoned field, and now won't let me out of his sight. He's good indoors, I don't have a garden but he gets walked 3 times a day.

I have a few months to resolve this problem, or find a suitable situation here which is not easy, as I'm frightened of the effects on him being put in a kennel

OR bring him with me to Bkk. Only thing is that I have never seen anyone walk a dog this size, (size of an large Alsatian) everyone seems to have toy dogs. I'm on lower sukhumvit, I can walk him where? Along the soi's, khlong footpath.

The problems would be the heat outside, indoors ok aircon/ walking / flaunting the condo regulations - not worried they can write me a letter - it's only max 8 weeks/ stress of the flight for him and for me getting through customs ecc. The flight for him with Thai airways is 900 dollars, kenneling him in italy would cost me alot more.

anyone got any helpful suggestions or experience?

Thanks

Hello! I've brought my dogs from Seoul to Bangkok twice. The legal process is time consuming (weeks) but easy. I contacted the Thai embassy in Seoul. They gave me the animal control information for the BKK airport. I emailed and spoke to them over the phone. I got everything they asked for from my vet in Seoul. Then I had all the paperwork necessary for the trip. On arrival I went to pick up my dogs and paid the 100 baht fee for each dog.

Both times customs tried to trick me into paying more (1,000 baht!) but as I already had done my homework and knew the fee was just 100 baht each I resisted. The 2nd time I happily handed them a 1,000 note and asked for a receipt. A woman took my money, disappeared for 2-5 minutes, returned and said something while handing me my 1,000 baht back.

You have big dog issues I don't as mine are 5 and 9 kgs. Mine are over 12 years old and one has been getting treated for heart disease since February 2013. I take them to Chula University Animal Hospital 1-3 times a month. Uber or Grab Taxi apps make that easier.

It seems red tape can change here often, especially after coups, so I didn't give any details on vaccines or whatever. I recommend getting that info directly from the BKK animal office staff.

Hello! I've brought my dogs from Seoul to Bangkok twice. The legal process is time consuming (weeks) but easy. I contacted the Thai embassy in Seoul. They gave me the animal control information for the BKK airport. I emailed and spoke to them over the phone. I got everything they asked for from my vet in Seoul. Then I had all the paperwork necessary for the trip. On arrival I went to pick up my dogs and paid the 100 baht fee for each dog.

Both times customs tried to trick me into paying more (1,000 baht!) but as I already had done my homework and knew the fee was just 100 baht each I resisted. The 2nd time I happily handed them a 1,000 note and asked for a receipt. A woman took my money, disappeared for 2-5 minutes, returned and said something while handing me my 1,000 baht back.

You have big dog issues I don't as mine are 5 and 9 kgs. Mine are over 12 years old and one has been getting treated for heart disease since February 2013. I take them to Chula University Animal Hospital 1-3 times a month. Uber or Grab Taxi apps make that easier.

It seems red tape can change here often, especially after coups, so I didn't give any details on vaccines or whatever. I recommend getting that info directly from the BKK animal office staff.

Thanks Robert! Do you have the email and phone that you used for the animal control information at Bkk?

Thanks for telling me the fee bit, and I like the request for a reciept which I shall use in other situations too!

Does the dog come through with the cases, as someoone I met yesterday said taking the dog to Brasile, it was going round on the baggage track with the cases. I can imagine that being frightening. or do you go and pick him up somewhere else?

I seem to pend one way one day and the other the next, I don't really know whats right for the dog. Certainly having extra info takes some more stress out of the thought of the whole procedure

Anymore advice I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again

I couldn't find where I've stashed those papers. But it was a 5 min call to my local embassy to get originally. Then I had my Korean vet speak in Korean to the Thai embassy staff, too - wanted to take English mistakes out of the equation. ^^

Thanks Robert,

Yes you're right I'll try through the embassies. I spoke to a neighbour today who said that their father was a pilot and sometimes it happened that the dogs died in the hold, I said maybe years ago, but they shook their head. Anyone any news?

Rock and a hard place, dammit . I have nearly always had dogs through my life, maybe since I was 4 (i'm 52 I've been without a dog or dogs -at one point 5 together - for a period of about 8 / 10 yrs roughly,

all sorts, all mongrels. Some playful, young, old, intelligent, doleful, the lot, last one was 16 jack russel cross, another a "spinone - italiano" cross, wonderful dogs that are found in Italy- if you look on google imagine just imagine a spinone but black. Although I was told by the woman who owned him he was about to be be suppressed by breeders of " lagotto romagnolo" but mummy had an affair. in fact Biagio - my dog - has his ears with cuts in them like a defected jumper label :-(,

I've only had since August and he's been on a chain all his life (10 yrs ) and on a piece of land away from people, and even though, he's good. Doesn't create when left alone in doors, in car, gentle whine, doesn't scrape doors, waits for tidbits at a distance, I couldn't really ask for more. I have a pain in my chest leaving him and a pain if I think of the trip to Bkk and the heat and indoors all day. AAAAAaarrghhh.

i think you have a biger problem than you think.

first the dog is large and over 10yrs.old,how do you think he will cope with the heat and the humidity.

then there is your living accomadation,what kind have you got.

it is not that easy to look after a big dog in bkk,soi dogs are not welcoming to strangers,then you need need some sort of air con.for him.it is going to be hard for you to decide what to do,but as his life has not been a bed of roses for me he would be better off staying in a kennel at home at least he will have company of others.

meatboy dog lover.

first the dog is large and over 10yrs.old,how do you think he will cope with the heat and the humidity.

it is not that easy to look after a big dog in bkk,soi dogs are not welcoming to strangers,then you need need some sort of air con.for him.it is going to be hard for you to decide what to do,but as his life has not been a bed of roses for me he would be better off staying in a kennel at home at least he will have company of others.

meatboy dog lover.

thank you meatboy, I hadn't thought of the soi dogs. another point in the con section of my list of pro's and con's. There are several near my place and you are right, they don't even like me walking down the soi.

Thanks for the input.

I've spoken to a friend who has stables and a riding school, she could have him he'd be with her all day and dropped off in the evening to an empty house. At the moment it's sounding about the best idea.

meatboy dog lover.

thank you meatboy, I hadn't thought of the soi dogs. another point in the con section of my list of pro's and con's. There are several near my place and you are right, they don't even like me walking down the soi.

Thanks for the input.

I've spoken to a friend who has stables and a riding school, she could have him he'd be with her all day and dropped off in the evening to an empty house. At the moment it's sounding about the best idea.

oh you are lucky to get that offer,never mind where you there are dogs ready to fight.if he hasnt already got a freind get one so he has company in the nights.ours when he wants to spend a hour or two upstairs during the day he gets his toy monkey to go with him.he is so gentle with it he only sqeezes it when he wants it to sqeak.so take up the offer and you wont regret it although you will miss him.

meatboy dog lover.

Thanks for the input.

oh you are lucky to get that offer,never mind where you there are dogs ready to fight.if he hasnt already got a freind get one so he has company in the nights.ours when he wants to spend a hour or two upstairs during the day he gets his toy monkey to go with him.he is so gentle with it he only sqeezes it when he wants it to sqeak.so take up the offer and you wont regret it although you will miss him.

Thanks,

he's not attached to toys , but I'll put aside a few unwashed (nice eh?) tee-shirts to give to him. I've tried the toys he has a range, I try to get him to play but he just looks at me, so I roll round on the floor with it, or throw it and I run after it, i look a pillock on the floor in the lounge with him just looking at me! Only game he finds fun is a large cloth draped on his head and I touch him through it and he doesn't know where I am going to touch next.

Meatboy I read your post about "Red" I'm so sorry, felt like I had a brick in my throat. My mother was ill with cancer and we had 2 dogs, my dad went to work one day and my mum without saying anything had taken the dogs to the vets to have both put down. My father was devastated, years later he told me he would have given a year of his life just to have said goodbye to the dogs.

anyway best change the subject, I'll be taking Biagio to the stable in the near future so he can get used to going there and that I'm around, then I'll leave him there an hour or so, then pick him up. As you say I'll miss him, but more I'll be worrying how he's coping, I'm asking someone if they will pass by too and check on him

thanks everyone for helping, the other info was good too as if all goes belly up I have plan B, which reminds me I will get the paperwork that Robert posted about up to date ... just in case