Most useful courses to learn in CM?

usherer

I will be spending 3 months in Chiang Mai, and want to ensure it's spend productively.

Besides going for the relatively cheaper aesthetic treatments, I want to upgrade my skills by going for courses that can make me self-sufficient or be a potential source of income. I'm considering the following. Let me know if you have more to add, or recommendations for these courses! Thanks!

By the way, these courses would have to be in English or Chinese due to my lack of proficiency in Thai.

1. Acupressure massage - Currently considering Lek Chai Massage

2. Cooking

3. Building

4. Agriculture-related courses

..making chocolate??

I believe Chiang Mai has a very good collage for that.

Believe it is Majo. Not sure of the spelling hopefully some one will correct it.

..making chocolate??

Now there is some thing you can do all over the world and find clients for it.smile.png

Edit

Moderator can you correct my spelling on the collage?wai.gif

Edited by northernjohn

Some weird bowling obsession going on here, including bowling in bathrobes (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/612041-any-bowling-alleys-still-open/)

Map-reading – done

Thai – doing

Golf, or enjoying great patches of land which could have been used for public gardens or organic farming – won’t do!

Agriculture at Maejo Uni – do they have short-term courses? Will find out. Thanks! BTW, the link is here, if you need to verify my spelling ;)http://www.mju.ac.th/tri_versions/eng_index.php

Making chocolate – actually, I didn’t think of the market potential, so, fantastic idea!

Some weird bowling obsession going on here, including bowling in bathrobes (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/612041-any-bowling-alleys-still-open/)

Map-reading – done

Thai – doing

Golf, or enjoying great patches of land which could have been used for public gardens or organic farming – won’t do!

Agriculture at Maejo Uni – do they have short-term courses? Will find out. Thanks! BTW, the link is here, if you need to verify my spelling wink.pnghttp://www.mju.ac.th/tri_versions/eng_index.php

Making chocolate – actually, I didn’t think of the market potential, so, fantastic idea!

You will find we are a collection of different type people. Interested in sugar free chocolate if you go into that. Been known to eat the kind with sugar but I stay aware of the fact that I have diabetes and shouldn't.

Believe it is Majo. Not sure of the spelling hopefully some one will correct it.

..making chocolate??

Now there is some thing you can do all over the world and find clients for it.smile.png

Edit

I'm not a moderator, more of an antagoniser, but I can help you with your spelling.... It is 'college'. While I'm here, I'll let you know that you made another mistake, Majo is commonly written as Maejo.

• Like 1

That would be at Mae Hia - part Of CMU. A lovely campus it is too.

It's my local birding (feathered) patch! smile.png

He told you already, and so did I, it is Maejo, the oldest agricultural institution in Thailand. No one could possibly misspell Mae Hia as Majo. Edited by Chiengmaijoe

^ huh? your wrong, the main agricultural college (coupled with the vet school) campus for CMU is at Mae Hia . . . i should know, been visiting it for around 10yrs. I've known many students from there. wink.png

Edited by Goshawk

Mae Hia does in fact house much of the ag department/faculty of CMU.

MaeJo University is a different university, is in MaeJo, was started as an ag school and continues to be a good one but is now much more, a broader range of majors.

Which one is best? Like all such questions, there is no answer, it depends on the specific area and the opinion of the judge since best is largely a judgment. Which one is the main one? Again not answerable.

Seems uninformed people could be creating a lot of confusion for the OP. I sould suggest the OP look at Dante's post and then research on those universities web sites if you are interested in those subjects.

Edited by hml367

Seems uninformed people could be creating a lot of confusion for the OP. I sould suggest the OP look at Dante's post and then research on those universities web sites if you are interested in those subjects.

Disagree informed posters have been pointing out two different options for ag courses. The rest are just posting. If you read the posts you will see that the OP himself gave the web page for one.wai.gif

^ huh? your wrong, the main agricultural college (coupled with the vet school) campus for CMU is at Mae Hia . . . i should know, been visiting it for around 10yrs. I've known many students from there. wink.png

You couldn't possibly be wrong, I gather. Northernjohn very specifically recommended the huge agricultural college at Maejo, to which your response is to tell us that Maejo university is in Mae Hia and is a part of CMU.

He never mentioned Chiang Mai university, which may well have a campus in Mae Hia, but is a completely different place. Maejo is an algricultural college/university and presumably Mae Hia is a faculty of a university, namely CMU.

Since you're obviously used to being right, or at least thinking that you're right, I don't expect an apology. It's not that big a deal.

• Like 1

Disagree informed posters have been pointing out two different options for ag courses. The rest are just posting. If you read the posts you will see that the OP himself gave the web page for one.wai.gif

NorthernJohn,

You should read the posts apparently... Someone is saying that what you posted about Mae Cho U is part of CMU.... further posts from someone else pointed out the mistakes.

Edit: Further, NJ, in my post I refer to Dante's post which points out the mistakes.

Edited by hml367

NorthernJohn,

You should read the posts apparently... Someone is saying that what you posted about Mae Cho U is part of CMU.... further posts from someone else pointed out the mistakes.

Edit: Further, NJ, in my post I refer to Dante's post which points out the mistakes.

Northernjohn, Dante and I are in agreement, and the Op is clear about it all, having posted a link to Maejo University himself, Goshawk is in a little world of his own, but what your point is , is anyone's guess.

..making chocolate??

Edit

MaeJo does not accept students over age 30.

NorthernJohn,

Northernjohn, Dante and I are in agreement, and the Op is clear about it all, having posted a link to Maejo University himself, Goshawk is in a little world of his own, but what your point is , is anyone's guess.

You are right, Chiangmaijoe.... my initial post about confusing was in regard to Goshawk's post. I did not intend that you, NJ, or Dante were causing confusion. I tried to point that out in the second post, even though in the inital post my reference to Dante's post was intended to point out the two different universities.

Edited by hml367

..making chocolate??

Edit

I'm not a moderator, more of an antagoniser, but I can help you with your spelling.... It is 'college'. While I'm here, I'll let you know that you made another mistake, Majo is commonly written as Maejo.

Since the post(er) was discussing 'a combination or collection of various things' (OED definition of collage) maybe he was correct in the use of the word 'collage' after all!

Maybe one of you 'college' experts could clarify, without bickering, and get back on topic!

P.S. OED = Oxford English Dictionary.

Hi people,

Thanks for being so helpful, all with such good intentions.

I am now aware of two universities that I can approach, though at 33 years old, I would be overaged..

I hope all of you bear no ill feelings towards each other for what I see as a series of misunderstandings without ill intent. I'd refrained from replying earlier to avoid adding to the confusion. Hope everyone's been well since then.

Pls feel free to keep suggesting courses that don't exist too ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

wow, that's pricey 0 1,450THB for a one-day course. Did my reserach and found this affordable vegetarian cooking course, i think it's about 1,000THB for 5-6 dishes https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taste-From-Heaven/625211487532925

Won't be going for it though as I'm now in an emergency fund-saving mode.

Have already done a massage course though, with Jack Chaiya who gives fantastic massages!

OP, I think you need to do more basic research and appreciate the problem of anyone responding intelligently and fully to the questions with their conditions that you pose. Perhaps you are not really equipped to move to Thailand just yet.

How much can anyone, age 33, learn in 90 days? Esp in a univ? I'd say keep it to massage schools, cooking schools, maybe art lessons, meditation time, but not academic subjects at taught at big univ. Too expensive and way too many hurdles to jump getting in. Personal lessons is the way to go.

It has been a long time since I took a cooking class, but I think they have some nice courses here. I found the ones that I took very informative. You learn about Thai ingredients and how to prepare them. The place I went is no longer in businsess, but I found that it is nicer if you could find some with a smaller class size.

The Y has a short Thai class (2 weeks or less) that I heard was very good (I think Kru Ice is teaching it). Here is their current schedule: http://www.ymcachiangmai.org/UserFiles/File/program/Thai%20for%20foreigner.pdf

The only other thing that I heard about was people taking Thai kick boxing courses. I think that might be popular, but I don't know.